House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did You Know That You Can See The Light Given Off By An Ir Remote Contol.....

All digital cameras can see IR, just that the visible light usually masks it. You can filter out the vis light with photographic film and take IR photos.

Or you can get a cheap webcam and remove the IR filter.

EDIT: This doesn't make much sense, but google for homemade IR cameras

Guest X-QUORK
Honestly, you can!!!

Try it.

How? I'm guessing there's more to it than drawing the curtains.

How? I'm guessing there's more to it than drawing the curtains.

Point it at the lens of a digital camera and push the button. You can see it flashing on the screen.

Guest Skinty
All digital cameras can see IR, just that the visible light usually masks it. You can filter out the vis light with photographic film and take IR photos.

Or you can get a cheap webcam and remove the IR filter.

EDIT: This doesn't make much sense, but google for homemade IR cameras

You can buy an infra-red filter and put it on your SLR or DV camera. I have one by Hoya myself. Open up the aperture to get the light in, convert to black and white and you can take infra-red pictures. I used my DV camera for that purpose. Much easier than fiddling around with infra-red film in the dark. Which reminds me, I should try that now I also have a digital SLR, I never fancied loading 120 film in the pitch black.

Funnily enough I first learnt about this when I noticed the red light from my remote control caught by the DV camera as well :)

Some of the better cameras have something called a hot mirror IIRC so less infra-red is captured by the sensor, but the above method is still useable. You just need to take photos in very bright conditions.

EDIT: Useful link I've just found

http://www.dynaxdigital.com/index.php?PHPS...pic,5045.0.html

Guest X-QUORK
You can buy an infra-red filter and put it on your SLR or DV camera. I have one by Hoya myself. Open up the aperture to get the light in, convert to black and white and you can take infra-red pictures. I used my DV camera for that purpose. Much easier than fiddling around with infra-red film in the dark. Which reminds me, I should try that now I also have a digital SLR, I never fancied loading 120 film in the pitch black.

Funnily enough I first learnt about this when I noticed the red light from my remote control caught by the DV camera as well :)

Some of the better cameras have something called a hot mirror IIRC so less infra-red is captured by the sensor, but the above method is still useable. You just need to take photos in very bright conditions.

Any excuse to hijack a thread and talk about bloody cameras.

Guest Skinty
Any excuse to hijack a thread and talk about bloody cameras.

It's summer! They'll only let me outside if I have a hobby that keeps me away from other people.

Guest KingCharles1st

Tell you what- if you could invent a fart camera, you would make a bloody fortune- imagine the fun at dinner parties!

Guest Skinty
Tell you what- if you could invent a fart camera, you would make a bloody fortune- imagine the fun at dinner parties!

Ah! I know this from my paragliding lessons. You have to look out for signs of thermal activity. Seed heads floating upwards, birds circling etc.

Guest KingCharles1st
Ah! I know this from my paragliding lessons. You have to look out for signs of thermal activity. Seed heads floating upwards, birds circling etc.

Well possibly- but I was thinking more the lines of a Polaroid, that when developed, shows a green cloud emanating from the perpetrators bottom.