House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Correction

I Hate Councils

Council appeals verdict in Corby

"He said the council's barrister advised them there were grounds for appeal, but they wanted to continue to liaise with the families."

Well surprise surprise.

"Speaking after the meeting, Mr Mallender said the cost of appealing would run into six figures, but he said it would be worth it as the council could recover some costs if it won.

He said: "It's a two-way situation. By paying these legal costs, we might recover the monies already spent and we might end up far better off.""

If we lose well we'll just put the council tax up

They couldn't care a toss about whether morally they are right or wrong to appeal.

Guest UK Debt Slave
Council appeals verdict in Corby

"He said the council's barrister advised them there were grounds for appeal, but they wanted to continue to liaise with the families."

Well surprise surprise.

"Speaking after the meeting, Mr Mallender said the cost of appealing would run into six figures, but he said it would be worth it as the council could recover some costs if it won.

He said: "It's a two-way situation. By paying these legal costs, we might recover the monies already spent and we might end up far better off.""

If we lose well we'll just put the council tax up

It's just a business

But instead of shareholders, the state gets the cream

It's no different from the mafia but it's the actual state running the crime family.

The American mafia famously said the biggest crime family of all is the US government

The British state is no different

We are a mere slaves grazing on their land

They couldn't care a toss about whether morally they are right or wrong to appeal.

It's just a business

But instead of shareholders, the state gets the cream

It's no different from the mafia but it's the actual state running the crime family.

The American mafia famously said the biggest crime family of all is the US government

The British state is no different

We are a mere slaves grazing on their land

Not a fan myself, apart from demanding council tax and issuing parking fines, mine sent me an unsolicited junk magazine today, and across the fron it said, "your free magazine from mid sussex council". Well, I paid quite a bt for that actually, so no so free.

It's not a great surprise though. The original verdict was a bit unexpected and I think it would be difficult to prove any link. Even with the greatest sympathy for the families...

Should councils pay up, or not fight, any claim against them ?

Councils contain the most corrupt inefficient jumped up power crazed jobsworths I have ever encountered

they have gone from institutions that provide essential public services to

a tax collection agency ran by thugs

Councils...Hah,

We're looking at self-building & up in the beautiful Scottish Borders Section 75 legislation allows the council to slap on fees of:

Primary School Contribution ~£3K

Secondary School Contribution ~£3K

Borders Railway Contribution ~£7K

£13K to the bleeding council before you've even turned a sod on the self-build!!!!!!!!

Of course they do,

They have a moral responsibility to their council tax payers who are already going to have to cough up the mega million pound compensations costs (for something that was nothing to do with them). They have a moral obligation to appeal if the think that they can win.

I don't understand the ire which the other party hold the council. The people who made the mess are the steel company, why are the not being held morally responsible?

tim