House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barb E Dahl

First Time Buyers Hooked On Apartment Living

Current conditions in the housing market and greater restrictions on mortgages are making more and more first time buyers turn to apartment living as a more affordable and stylish way to make that all important move onto the property ladder. One such first time buyer, Ben Evans, has done exactly that at Crest Nicholson's eco-development, ICON, in Street, with surprising results.

IT engineer Ben (28) has lived in Street and the surrounding area for seven years. Ben said: “I really like Somerset and Street because, aside from being where all my friends and family live, it gives you the opportunity to live and enjoy the countryside but has all the amenities you need such as shops and restaurants.â€

Ben moved into his two bedroom, Crest Nicholson Deco apartment in February this year. He continued: “I thought it might be a good time to buy as houses seemed to be more affordable due to the market and I had already saved a decent deposit. My Dad, Tim Evans of 360tor.com, who produces panoramic property tours for companies, had just completed one of the ICON development and he encouraged me to go and have a look.

“I was a bit apprehensive about looking at the apartments as in my experience they've usually been dark and small but I was pleasantly surprised to find that the apartments at ICON were totally different. They have full length windows, which let in lots of light, and the rooms are laid out in a way that makes each room seem really spacious. I also get the benefit of having a balcony which is south facing and great on a nice summer day.â€

The properties at ICON incorporate a range of energy efficient measures including solar water heating and low energy lighting. The homes are also highly insulated and feature central ventilation systems which keep energy consumption extremely low – saving money on heating bills as well as helping the planet, a factor which played on Ben's mind when buying his property.

“The fact that the apartments are environmentally friendly is a big plus point for me. Initially I was worried about not being able to afford the bills, especially as gas and electricity have gone up in price, but I've had a few bills now and they have been fairly low and certainly less than my friends are paying in their more traditional homes.

“I've met a few of the neighbours now and there is starting to be a real community feel which is great and the sales staff on site have also been really helpful†he said.

I nearly spat all my food out reading the headline.

Oh these developers will try anything to flog their "massively overpriced" & "not big enough to swing a cat" flats.

“I've met a few of the neighbours now and there is starting to be a real community feel which is great and the sales staff on site have also been really helpful†he said.

Helpful with what? all the problems?

Speaking as a single who is past the time of life for sharing with strangers, it would be absurd for me to live in anything but an apartment. My ideal home has a spacious lounge and two good-size bedrooms, a third as guest-room, and space to sit out on a balcony or roof terrace. Measured in square meters it's the size of a typical 4-bed house in the UK.

I had just such an apartment in Germany, on the 9th floor of a tower block. It was lovely.

And it's not just Europeans who have nice apartments. Look at New York.

We should be building apartments here, but be sure to import architects from elsewhere to design something nice!

Guest sillybear2
Speaking as a single who is past the time of life for sharing with strangers, it would be absurd for me to live in anything but an apartment. My ideal home has a spacious lounge and two good-size bedrooms, a third as guest-room, and space to sit out on a balcony or roof terrace. Measured in square meters it's the size of a typical 4-bed house in the UK.

I had just such an apartment in Germany, on the 9th floor of a tower block. It was lovely.

And it's not just Europeans who have nice apartments. Look at New York.

We should be building apartments here, but be sure to import architects from elsewhere to design something nice!

Exactly, try finding one in the UK (for less than £1m, at least), not that new build houses is any different either.

Hehe.

Well, I suppose if you're a young graduate, it's a move up from student digs.

... except ...

student digs are redeemed by the package: the rich social scene, and a time of life when that's what matters far more than material things.

Guest sillybear2
Hehe.

Well, I suppose if you're a young graduate, it's a move up from student digs.

Many of these blocks may end up being precisely that, the housing associations don't want them because they're below standard.

You won't be needing shops and restaurants now you're in negative equity and have that big mortgage to service old son.

CON

Logo corrected.

Nouveau Apartment. :lol: These poor f*ckers aren't old enough to remember Nouvelle cuisine. Twice the price for half the food. Different generation - Same CON.

Edited by For no one

Street, no more than 2 miles from Glastonbury...middle of ******ing nowhere.

Median wage round there ? 20k? what do we reckon? How much are these places anyway?

edited to add prices link

Not as much as I'd thought, to be honest. But still pretty silly.

Edited by scuuzeme