House Price Crash Forum

Drug Dealer Ordered To Hand Over £80,000

godless

HOLA441
Worthing drug dealer ordered to hand over £80,000

4:27pm Tuesday 18th August 2009

comment Comments (8) Have your say »

By Alison Cridland »

A man arrested for hanging around cars has been ordered to hand over £80,000 after police stumbled upon a drug factory in his home.

Officers only detained Graeme Craig MacDonald because they thought he was planning to break into vehicles parked at Iceland in Worthing town centre.

But when they searched the 36-year-old they found cannabis on him.

And during a search of his home in Meadow Road in the town police found more of the drug along with drug equipment and 34 cannabis plants growing in one of his rooms.

They also discovered a drug list in a diary, mobile telephones and bank account statements during the search in August 2007.

MacDonald has now been ordered by a court to forfeit £79,180 that police estimate he has made from selling the drug or face spending two years in jail.

He was convicted at Chichester Crown Court in January last year of possessing cannabis with intent to supply as well as cultivating the drug.

MacDonald was sentenced to a 12-month supervision order which included carrying out unpaid work in the community.

During the police investigation into his finances officers calculated he had profited by almost £80,000 from dealing the drug.

Detailed analysis of his bank accounts showed that over a six-year period he had access to sums of cash far in excess of his legal income.

MacDonald was back in court for the Proceeds of Crime application by police for his profits from crime to be seized.

At Chichester Crown Court the Crown Prosecution Service was granted a benefit order for the full amount.

MacDonald was given 90 days to clear the debt or face two years in jail.

He was also ordered to pay £500 towards prosecution costs.

A Sussex Police spokesman said: "This prosecution devolved from a painstaking analysis of bank accounts held by MacDonald and showed he had access over a six year period to sums of cash far in excess of his legitimate incomes and expenditures.

"His proceeds of crime were shown to be almost £80,000 of drug selling over this period of time."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/4552145.Wor..._over___80_000/

.....its coming

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Chief Superintendent Knacker said "I am very pleased to see another dangerous drug dealer off our streets. Now the price of drugs will go up and rivals will fight each other for his turf. As a result there will be an upsurge in robbery, burglary and gang-related violence in the area for the next six months or so. We hope this enforcement action re-assures the public that we will take a hard-line stance against drugs and thereby make everything worse for everybody. At least I get to use this as evidence for my next promotion board!"

HOLA445

No one who does business in the dark places of the world can do that business without committing what would be crimes in English law. The world is festooned with places where you cannot get anything done unless you know how to bribe.

This law means everyone who does business in those places cannot afford to route their business through London.

All this business will go elsewhere.

Is this good for the UK?

On the one hand it's very good for the UK.

On the other, can the Uk afford such squeaky clean hands?

And what difference does it make?

It's not as if New Labour can shine some bright new light into shadowy places and banish darkness.

So some dealer gets whacked for 80K ....

How big a deal is that?

Every tyre, grain of coffee, sneaker, bag of tea or carpet that you buy is tainted indirectly if not directly.

Imposing close British legal standards to our people abroad while exposing our people at home to lax foreign legal standards,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...-new-rules.html

is just rubbish.

Whitehall thinks it will control things.

All it will do is drive them elsewhere.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Nice for you dear. What are your opinions on the article, by the way?

This guy made an estimated £80,000 over 6 years or just over £1000 a month with the average price per ounce £120(according to a website) which is 8 ounces a month or 2 ounces a week. He now has to pay £80,000 in 90 days or face 2 years in jail based on 2 ounces a week in dealing which is a probably about 4 people he supplied too. This is quite astonishing although I do believe he should have known that this isn't a free country and conducted himself as requested by the law changers. At least 50% of his proceeds were probably made during class c status. Anyone know where the crack and heroin is..........

The machine....its coming.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
If you get pinged on their radar and they do not like what they see because you are not their bitch they will lock you up and take everything you have and use irrelevant unfortunates like this guy to justify it.

Sorry, But what are you talking about? seriously.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Top 20 most harmful drugs based on data in the lancet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaZUv8fvWNk

18. Estacy number - deaths per year, 27

11. Canabis number - deaths per year, 1

14. LSD - death per year, none recorded

16. Anabolic steroids - deaths per year, none recorded

5. Alcohol - deaths per year, 40,000

9. Tobacco - death per year, 114,000

The government is the biggest drug dealer that causes more harm that any street dealer.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
How many people die of bee stings each year?

How about we outlaw them?

Better to create a mass frenzy in the media about the dangers, then bring in a bee tax for keepers. Obviously we will have to have a new civil service department to administer the fines for non compliance.

It should also be made illgal to have a bee in your house or car with on the spot fines for offenders.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Freedom.

Powers than be that retain some legitimacy because their tread is light.

Being innocent until proven guilty.

Minor technical issues of that ilk.

Freedom to deal illegal drugs and pocket the cash without paying tax??

I'm pretty shocked at this thread. Does evryone on this site just plain simple hate authority?

It seems to me, what we have here is a criminal making money form selling an illegal substance. they have managed to recover some of the costs with tracking down, arresting, interviewing and dragging through the legal system. then offered him a choice to go inside if he cant pay.

This means, his actions cost the tax payer a little bit less, it also sends a warning to others. Why is this not far system?

on another thread people want texting drivers to have the death penalty.

I dont care for the stats on how many deaths cannabis can cause. its damn bad for you. Ivebeen addicted myself, i have family heavily addictive, its incredibly destructive. and you could probably link it to lots of young male suicides and mental health problems if researchers really tried.

One more dealer gets nabbed, and i dont have to pay. RESULT!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I'm pretty shocked at this thread. Does evryone on this site just plain simple hate authority?

It seems to me, what we have here is a criminal making money form selling an illegal substance. they have managed to recover some of the costs with tracking down, arresting, interviewing and dragging through the legal system. then offered him a choice to go inside if he cant pay.

This means, his actions cost the tax payer a little bit less, it also sends a warning to others. Why is this not far system?

I dont care for the stats on how many deaths cannabis can cause. its damn bad for you. Ivebeen addicted myself, i have family heavily addictive, its incredibly destructive. and you could probably link it to lots of young male suicides and mental health problems if researchers really tried.

+ 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOLA4419

Reality check: this costs the tax payer a lot more than it brings in. 2 years jail does not come cheap, nor does the investigation or the court case, and we just went from one low level small time dealer/bum to someone bitter and pissed off who figures society owes him 80k and 2 years. He will never pay this off, and with those conditions he has no incentive to get a job either so, looks like we produced yet another loyal police 'customer' there.

Still, it's of course a very good business move for our VI brigade whose cushy government jobs depend on there being a never ending supply of petty toerags who commit low level crimes that are not really dangerous but produce a lot of expensive make-work.

HOLA4420
Reality check: this costs the tax payer a lot more than it brings in. 2 years jail does not come cheap, nor does the investigation or the court case, and we just went from one low level small time dealer/bum to someone bitter and pissed off who figures society owes him 80k and 2 years. He will never pay this off, and with those conditions he has no incentive to get a job either so, looks like we produced yet another loyal police 'customer' there.

Still, it's of course a very good business move for our VI brigade whose cushy government jobs depend on there being a never ending supply of petty toerags who commit low level crimes that are not really dangerous but produce a lot of expensive make-work.

I wish they would change the law.

As far as I am concerned, if you are caught committing a monetary crime, you should have your assets siezed whether or not you can prove that they were bought with legal money. That is on top of a prison sentence.

The police shouldnt have to prove that someone has had more money than they are legally entitled to, just proof of a monetary crime. The court should then make an estimate of the scale of it, and multiply that figure by 3. Then authorities should be able to sieze assets up to that value.

It would make the justice system simpler, and mean much more money can be recovered from the crooks.

HOLA4421
I wish they would change the law.

It would make the justice system simpler, and mean much more money can be recovered from the crooks.

Be careful what you wish for here.

Because this makes a great shake-down operation very simple, for even minor offenses, and it's fairly easy to pin things on people as well.

And, most criminals don't really have any money in the first place (most drug dealing pays less than minimum wage, only the higher ups earn), so, you'll be looking for pockets on a nekkid man.

And all to keep civil servants in their lazy well paying jobs dealing with minor offenders, whilst the actual dangerous people are left to walk abot with the NHS A&E cleaning up in their wake.

HOLA4422

I dont even see them as an authority. Just a big bunch of bullies walking round stealing and threatening people. They deserve total and utter contempt. Why anyone would think of them as an authority is beyond me.

Their rules are for their society, something which i have no interest in partaking in.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I understand your stance but many millions of people enjoy it yet do not have the freedom to choose. Only the complete banning of every drug legal and illegal will prevent the adverse effects of any substance be it food, aspirin, drink or "illegal" substances, let alone other activities that can cause harm like painting a wall or going shopping. Do a search for codeine addiction or aspartame, the damage of such substances which most are often not aware of and often have no choice in until those affected wake up and change the laws. I will refrain from getting into the alcohol/tobacco debate as it should remain legal and a right and the consequences of there use openly discussed like anything and everything. To switch off the mind to reality is to switch off the mind to truth. Freedom is not an option in a state that teaches irresponsibility, with the state being the prime offender yet revered by many as an all knowing virtuous entity shepherding us all towards a greater world.

HOLA4425

I'm sure your right. But what are the alternatives. are you suggesting we stop sending criminals to prison incase they come out angry about it. I'm kind of with you on this, its allways a shame to see a petty criminal go down. But in my experience, its the guys who've had chance after chance after chance, with years of cautions, and a general attitude that they will do as they please who actually end up in prison. I just can't see an alternative. other than the old argument, "education" which drives me mad. criminals are not interested in education, because the truth is, crime works pretty well, untill you get cought that is. lol.

Some really interesting points on this thread though.

Archived