House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Olebrum

How To Save The Nation

To feel good about your work, as an individual and a society, to be both emotionally satisfied and economically safe, you have to make stuff. Put things together, improve them, sell them to admiring customers.

Says the old bird who earns a living writing virtual words for Mr Murdoch.

I went to my old university business school library yesterday having failed miserably to find anything on my topic of interest in any of the glitzy consumer-lifestyle bookshops - Borders and Waterstones. Sadly the university's business school library, despite being absolutely enormous, only had books dating back to about the year 2000, too old to be of use. :(

I then went over to the university bookshop prepared to part with a tidy sum for a brand new publication only to find what scant books were available were all theory and no practice - just hot air. Essentially I'm already leaps and bounds ahead. Its now dawning on me that the area I'm focussing on is so underdeveloped I'm blazing something of a trail. :blink:

"What the nation now needs more than anything is innovators". They're not my words, they're what the consultant said last week at the local business development board.

The man of virtue makes the difficulty to be overcome his first business, and success only a subsequent consideration.

(Confucius)

Sadly in the UK we've had it the wrong way round :

Spend now (and give a superficial appearance of success) then pay later (with very real regret). <_<

Edited by Dave Spart

Individuals can save themselves by turning smart diverse ideas into businesses. Enough people do that and the economy will soon be healthy instead of being a sick one-trick pony.

The government fails miserably in its duty. Many simple inexpensive measures could be implemented to encourage invention, innovation and enterprise; their omission suggests grave ignorance, wilful or otherwise.

Edited by Dave Spart

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Old hack encourages others to get into the fields.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

With a lifetime of unpayable debt hung round their necks (or the prospect of it) just to afford a basic like accommodation, scant pension provisions, hugely expensive commercial property + rates the chance of an innovation revolution is zero.

Would Dyson be able to to do what he did if he started from current circumstances? I very much doubt it.

What the nation now needs more than anything is a competitive cost base and a realistic prospect that people can both fund a normal lifestyle AND have spare capacity in money and time to become innovators - the powers that be are hell bent on NOT seeing that situation happen.

With a lifetime of unpayable debt hung round their necks (or the prospect of it) just to afford a basic like accommodation, scant pension provisions, hugely expensive commercial property + rates the chance of an innovation revolution is zero.

Would Dyson be able to to do what he did if he started from current circumstances? I very much doubt it.

What the nation now needs more than anything is a competitive cost base and a realistic prospect that people can both fund a normal lifestyle AND have spare capacity in money and time to become innovators - the powers that be are hell bent on NOT seeing that situation happen.

No problem. You just have to be independently wealthy (as ever was).

C.f. EasyStelios: sets up a big and mould-breaking business, but remains refreshingly honest about the privileged start in life that made it possible.

Dyson made it by tenacity, where others would've given up (as I eventually did :( ). I don't know what he lived on in the years he was trying to get his business up&running but not making money from it.

This article has one critical flaw , moment somebody makes big money in something , they emigrate elsewhere. Dyson is an example of this, the UK and the EU is just WAY too business unfriendly, and the taxes are just too high , I was chatting to a Korean person here recently and they told me Korean tax is 10% , which is even lower than HK's 16.5%. Though Korea has VAT at 10%.

The only real way to save the UK economy is to play on the UK's strengths ie to tear up the arms export agreements and to ignore arms embargoes to dodgy states and sell them weapons as many as they can afford for resources. We can have the SAS perform agent provocateur missions in Africa and the middle east keeping them in perpetual war.... Hell the US supported Iran AND Iraq when they fought their wars.

In the 1940s we copied the tommy gun and simplified it to the sten gun we can do the same with the worlds favourite gun the AK, and make more powerful RPGs the terrorists favourite weapon.

Harim Maxim was once told , you will make a pile of money if you can make a device that the Europeans can use to kill each other with more effectively , he came up with the gas blow back machine gun...

The UK would become number 1 worlds arms exporter bigger than 2+3+4+5+6 put together , and because we make so many guns we would be THE most heavily defended place on earth, sort of like switzerland but everybody has at least 5 machine guns several anti tank missiles etc.

Another critical flaw is if you invent something brilliant a big corporation will steal it and claim it as their own, they will then spend decades dragging it through the courts running you out of money or send you hill walking in cumbria where you will found dead from exposure. Hoover tried this with Dyson , if hoover sent somebody round to rough him up and covered it up as a random attack , hoover would have walked over dyson easily.

Another critical flaw is if you invent something brilliant a big corporation will steal it and claim it as their own, they will then spend decades dragging it through the courts running you out of money or send you hill walking in cumbria where you will found dead from exposure. Hoover tried this with Dyson , if hoover sent somebody round to rough him up and covered it up as a random attack , hoover would have walked over dyson easily.

Yes.

Wondering whether the best route is something like an open auction for an idea to the highest bidder, that way the companies are competing against each other (and trying to screw each other) rather than you). Obviously it needs good ideas, not dross. Even if they bought up the idea as a blocker to prevent competition with existing product line(s).

You won't get much, but better than nothing, even a tiny cut would be big wonga for the average person for the right product. Let them then deal with the practicalities of production design/ manufacture / employees and where to manufacture it.

Does such a thing already exist?

Says the old bird who earns a living writing virtual words for Mr Murdoch.

Humerous comment.

but at the end of the day there is a market for her words therefore they have a value in to which she draws her wealth.

Such a shame lazy chavvy scum can't find a market for their labour.

The problem with most 'good ideas' is that some large corp has allready tried it.

You get your patent, then woosh, they have your product on the shelves too, but with a nice lab book supporting their testing of this in 1987.

All you've done with your product is tested for market for them, ie they are getting it for free.

Yes.

Wondering whether the best route is something like an open auction for an idea to the highest bidder, that way the companies are competing against each other (and trying to screw each other) rather than you). Obviously it needs good ideas, not dross. Even if they bought up the idea as a blocker to prevent competition with existing product line(s).

You won't get much, but better than nothing, even a tiny cut would be big wonga for the average person for the right product. Let them then deal with the practicalities of production design/ manufacture / employees and where to manufacture it.

Yes it does. It's called the patent.

And therein lies the flaw in your proposal. In theory (and in a very few real-life cases), the patent can be a great enabler for innovation. In practice, it's widely abused by pirates, and stands in the way of innovation far more often than it aids it.

Yes.

What like dragons den type arrangements? , I've been to those in support of mates trying to get funding , its a sound idea however what happens is collusion to minimise the outlay, hell football shirts sugar and oil (ie OPEC) have cartels that act illegally why not in such a process.... if you go to such an auction and each of them offer you 50p you are no better off.