House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Has Higher Education Been Used To Mask Youth Unemployment

After this thread here about student loans not being debt I had another thought.

Has the rapid expansion of higher education been a very clever way of masking youth unemployment?

Thatcher did a similar trick with the YTS scheme for the 16-18 year olds as everyone in this age group was either in college, full time job or on YTS, you couldn't be unemployed.

This govt has hugely expanded higher education has this been done to hide high levels of youth unemployment?

Clearly the benefit of this is keeping huge numbers of people of the dole figures for at least 5 years from finishing school.

Too cynical?

Edited by interestrateripoff

Guest absolutezero
After this thread here about student loans not being debt I had another thought.

Has the rapid expansion of higher education been a very clever way of masking youth unemployment?

Thatcher did a similar trick with the YTS scheme for the 16-18 year olds as everyone in this age group was either in college, full time job or on YTS, you couldn't be unemployed.

This govt has hugely expanded higher education has this been done to hide high levels of youth unemployment?

Clearly the benefit of this is keeping huge numbers of people of the dole figures for at least 5 years from finishing school.

Too cynical?

Of course it has.

Next question.

Too cynical?

I thought it was already generally accepted that this was the case. Not only do they disappear from the statistics for a few years, they do it without any cost to the taxpayer, indeed, their debt pays for third rate colleges to become universities, thus removing further people from the dole queue.

Previously it used to be foreign students paying for the rest of us.

In my day, only 4% of people went to University, shocking, disgraceful, *wrings hands and writes to Daily Mail*

I thought it was already generally accepted that this was the case. Not only do they disappear from the statistics for a few years, they do it without any cost to the taxpayer, indeed, their debt pays for third rate colleges to become universities, thus removing further people from the dole queue.

Previously it used to be foreign students paying for the rest of us.

In my day, only 4% of people went to University, shocking, disgraceful, *wrings hands and writes to Daily Mail*

Probably the right percentage to be there really if you want to keep universities as centres of academic excellence. I've got nothing against expanding further education to a greater percentage of school leavers, they should have just gone somewhere that wasn't watered-down universities.

Probably the right percentage to be there really if you want to keep universities as centres of academic excellence. I've got nothing against expanding further education to a greater percentage of school leavers, they should have just gone somewhere that wasn't watered-down universities.

As I remember it, the University students I knew in '68 were not all particularly bright, but certainly middle class if they were not.

The trouble with LIAR DEGREES is that they have inflated the currency and employers can fall back on the status of the Institution as the basis of selection. Thus the graduates who are 'one of us' get the jobs.

The students from wider access backgrounds who are sqeezed out of the redbricks into 'new' universities just get debt and unemployment.

There will be no meritocracy in Higher Education until degrees are honest.

of course, Thatcher did it in the early 80s...there was no work for anyone under 25...

then when you force them into education you slag off the exams (set by adults) for being too easy

and you load them with £23,000 average of debt

then when a few of them say `****** you im getting stoned` you stick them in jail

and you get loads of votes for it from the post-fascist crowd

job done

Lots of shiney new HE buildings all over the country paid for by sham media graduates now working at McDonalds but ready to take lots of foreign currency from foreign students learning English etc.

I actually believe though that this Govt. honestly believed the western consumption model economy would be replicated in any culture and would require our wonderful creatives to help Chinese companies sell noodles to Chinese consumers.

I went to Uni late as a mature student, I started in 92 and even then the lecturers were bemoaning the lack of basic numeracy and literacy skills. I hear it has got a whole lot worse since then.

Many of the larger and more informed employers are now using Assessment Centre selection methods, rather than degrees to identify who to recruit. What value then, in a LIAR DEGREE.

Many of the larger and more informed employers are now using Assessment Centre selection methods, rather than degrees to identify who to recruit. What value then, in a LIAR DEGREE.

Just like any other bit of paper you try to give value to, becomes worth much, much less if there's too many in circulation.

Lots of shiney new HE buildings all over the country paid for by sham media graduates now working at McDonalds but ready to take lots of foreign currency from foreign students learning English etc.

I actually believe though that this Govt. honestly believed the western consumption model economy would be replicated in any culture and would require our wonderful creatives to help Chinese companies sell noodles to Chinese consumers.

I went to Uni late as a mature student, I started in 92 and even then the lecturers were bemoaning the lack of basic numeracy and literacy skills. I hear it has got a whole lot worse since then.

When I was doing some post graduate work at Uni (1993/4), I was involved in the marking/checking of some exam papers from 1st years..... the general consensus amongst staff was that standards were falling fast and that it happened overnight.

There were several events that were all taking place at this time which might have contributed:

1. A bums-on-seats policy was introduced at the Uni to get more cash from LEAs

2. These students had sat GCSEs not O levels

3. Introduction of student loans

4. A level syllabuses changed/getting easier.

All of the above happened across one or two academic years, so someone born in 1970/71 would be old-school, post 71 then a different set of circumstances.

(Yes, this does show that I'm old)

EDIT: Chunks of my post went missing.......

Edited by twatmangle

In addition to uni being a 'Pay Your Own Dole' scheme for many, a lot of the uni bubble was set up IMO to make money from overseas students and the conference trade (hence the proliferation of 'pod' type halls accommodation) and to provide a stimulus for post-industrial areas.

I'm shocked, shocked (to find out that deceits like this have been going on here).

If this goes unchecked they will be expecting something outrageous, like our school children should pay off the budget deficit and pension promises they are running up now.

I'm shocked, shocked (to find out that deceits like this have been going on here).

If this goes unchecked they will be expecting something outrageous, like our school children should pay off the budget deficit and pension promises they are running up now.

We could be more radical than that and also make children pay for their schooling.

So 11x£3k per year would mean each child leaving school with £33k of debt before they even think about college or Uni.

By the time they would be ready for work we could have saddled them with £60k of debt. Although from the early thread this should be seen as a tax and not a debt.

Now that's progress.

of course, Thatcher did it in the early 80s...there was no work for anyone under 25...

then when you force them into education you slag off the exams (set by adults) for being too easy

and you load them with £23,000 average of debt

then when a few of them say `****** you im getting stoned` you stick them in jail

and you get loads of votes for it from the post-fascist crowd

job done

+1