House Price Crash Forum

There's Only 1 Important Inflation Statistic

HOLA441

...and that is wage inflation and where that is headed.

The majority of wages are fixed using RPI and with that negative it suggests stagnant wages at best for the foreseeable.

That means less money in peoples back pockets, which leads to less demand for goods, which isn't going to be helped by the banks as credit has dried up. People's hard earned isn't going to go as far if other things are costing more money.

Apart from some city spivs and premiership footballers i don't see much wage inflation. I see four day weeks, unpaid holidays, pay freezes and salary reductions all around me.

The next leg of this is the public sector, after the election that gravy train will judder to a halt.

Without wage inflation or free flowing credit to act as a substitute for it nothings going to go back to how it was.

We may get inflation but in my opinion it will come with a lowering in living standards as essentials become more expensive but wages can't keep up. Stagflation - not good for house price growth.

HOLA442

The majority of wages are fixed using RPI and with that negative it suggests stagnant wages at best for the foreseeable.

That means less money in peoples back pockets, which leads to less demand for goods, which isn't going to be helped by the banks as credit has dried up. People's hard earned isn't going to go as far if other things are costing more money.

Apart from some city spivs and premiership footballers i don't see much wage inflation. I see four day weeks, unpaid holidays, pay freezes and salary reductions all around me.

The next leg of this is the public sector, after the election that gravy train will judder to a halt.

Without wage inflation or free flowing credit to act as a substitute for it nothings going to go back to how it was.

We may get inflation but in my opinion it will come with a lowering in living standards as essentials become more expensive but wages can't keep up. Stagflation - not good for house price growth.

er RPI will be 4->6% by next year... the only reason RPI is low is because it includes mortgage costs, and the VAT discount. House prices are down, and we had a massive cut in IRs, houseprices have been rising for a couple of months now, by Xmas we will have had 12 months since the IR cuts RPI will recover nice and quickly, the figures from today show this has already started.

HOLA443

I disagree. Others are important too. if food and energy prices etc fall then wages don't really need to go up. Wage inflation is interlinked or should be with other inflationary measures.

Edited by squire

HOLA444
er RPI will be 4->6% by next year... the only reason RPI is low is because it includes mortgage costs, and the VAT discount.

You forgot that fact that oil was $150 a barrel last july and was only $60 a barrel this July. Oil prices bottomed out last chistmas at around $30. Come christmas the infaltion oil effect will be a 100% rise rather than a 75% fall.

Any one of a dozen things could push RPI above 5%. There is nothing left to push it down bar open and undenyable manipulation.

Between VAT, Oil and mortgage costs I expect RPI to hit around 10% by christmas.

Time to add house prices to RPI maybe??? :P

HOLA445
HOLA446
Apart from some city spivs and premiership footballers i don't see much wage inflation.

I think the silly money days are over for both. The banks are losing money hand over fist despite massive government support (which will not last forever), and eventually losses will lead to wage cuts. Tickets to football matches, merchandise, Sky Sports subscription etc are luxuries that hard-pressed consumers can cut back on when times are hard, and advertising revenues have fallen through the floor. These people are rich, but they are no more immune to all of this than anybody else. They may even suffer more since their takings went up so much in the boom and presumably they are most exposed to the bust.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410