House Price Crash Forum
penbat1

The Future Of Food - We Are All Doomed

The program explained that we are well and truely f*cked as we will be getting a perfect storm of peak oil, climate change, peak soil, water shortages, population increases and increased consumption of processed junk food.

The whole concept of investing in property is an abomination as all the money poured into futile property investments should have gone into trying to secure resources for the world. We are doomed doomed doomed. Also having the credit crunch didnt do us any favours as if we didnt have enough problems already.

Edited by penbat1

A lot of rubbish some of it. Farmers up and down the country have packed it in because food is so cheap, and they get undercut by s/markets importing stuff.

Turning the abandonded land back into production may be tricky but if needs must.... Farm land a good long term investment maybe?

The program explained that we are well and truely f*cked as we will be getting a perfect storm of peak oil, climate change, peak soil, water shortages, population increases and increased consumption of processed junk food.

The whole concept of investing in property is an abomination as all the money poured into futile property investments should have gone into trying to secure resources for the world. We are doomed doomed doomed. Also having the credit crunch didnt do us any favours as if we didnt have enough problems already.

You were watching a different program to me. Looked Like it should have been Georges World Tour of Food Production Club Class style to me.

A lot of rubbish some of it. Farmers up and down the country have packed it in because food is so cheap, and they get undercut by s/markets importing stuff.

Turning the abandonded land back into production may be tricky but if needs must.... Farm land a good long term investment maybe?

Farm land and agricultural (aka soft) commodities in general should rocket - personally i have got a shedload of Baring Global Agriculture Fund.

Also we may get El Nino this winter. :blink:

Load of hysterical ******** (as per usual from the BBC). Peak oil will obviously result in a large decline in production, this will just mean some uses (such as commuting and going for joyrides in our little metal boxes) will become unaffordable, while oil in production processes and farming will tax over a greater % of consumption. Food shortages, in the developed world? Not in any of our lifetimes.

did margarine consumption go up?

Margarine fluctuated in relation to the supply of butter; but after making allowance for changes in real incomes and prices, the long-term

trend in demand is still away from butter and towards margarine, probably because of the development of soft margarine.

Guest sillybear2

They sold us the concept of "carbon footprints" and that has been 'solved' in the only way possible (taxes) and now the next scam is your "water footprint", expect mass metering and levies on your food, whilst in fact the UK has absolutely no issues with water. The only reason there are pressures on supply in the South East is because they've spent the best part of two decades blocking the construction of reservoirs, like the one in Abingdon, Oxfordshire. We have a nimby problem, not a water problem.

They sold us the concept of "carbon footprints" and that has been 'solved' in the only way possible (taxes) and now the next scam is your "water footprint", expect mass metering and levies on your food, whilst in fact the UK has absolutely no issues with water. The only reason there are pressures on supply in the South East is because they've spent the best part of two decades blocking the construction of reservoirs, like the one in Abingdon, Oxfordshire. We have a nimby problem, not a water problem.

Seemingly partly because we consume on average 3,000 litres of water via imported food each per day. Which seemed rather a lot. We're nicking it from food exporting countries, so they'll die instead, and one imagines produce less food for us.......and so on........

Still, so long as Ryanair don't go bust eh? :rolleyes:

Guest sillybear2
Seemingly partly because we consume on average 3,000 litres of water via imported food each per day. Which seemed rather a lot. We're nicking it from food exporting countries, so they'll die instead, and one imagines produce less food for us.......and so on........

Still, so long as Ryanair don't go bust eh? :rolleyes:

Or we could just start producing our own food again, by putting vast tracts of set aside land back into production, simple.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00k3...iculture_Wheat/

Edited by sillybear2

The earth has plenty of capacity for increased food production, just look around you at all the land not being utilized. As above this is another scam along the same lines as carbon footprint etc.

Governments want an existence tax, they want us born with "original sin" - we're all responsible for "climate change", its utter nonsense and frankly I'm sick of it.

Most of us are overweight, calories are so very very cheap and most of us still eat a lot of meat - plenty of slack in the system. We're even running power stations on food!

Guest sillybear2
Most of us are overweight, calories are so very very cheap and most of us still eat a lot of meat - plenty of slack in the system. We're even running power stations on food!

Time to get all the fatties (yes, I'm looking at you!) on to giant hamsters wheels, thus solving the impending obesity and energy crisis.

You were watching a different program to me. Looked Like it should have been Georges World Tour of Food Production Club Class style to me.

That's the impression I got too and he didn't seem to know much.

Embarrassing was his cooing at the family buying crisps and Ribena as a "healthy" option

Sounds like 911 *100.

Basically all the worst parts of the Bible.

Sounds like 911 *100.

Basically all the worst parts of the Bible.

I thought it was quite a good programme, it put the issues across to the sheeple in a nice sutle way and they are very real issues.

I found myself shouting in the office yesterday that "we fought a world war on spam, bastards!"

Hmmmm.

If and when are serious food shortages, our country will be OK and so will Europe and America.

It's only those places that already have far too many people barely existing that will have to lose a lot of their populations because they are at subsistence level already with frequent famines every so often.

In the long run this will be good because the earth cannot easily support billions more people.

Seemingly partly because we consume on average 3,000 litres of water via imported food each per day. Which seemed rather a lot. We're nicking it from food exporting countries,

How come we're importing all this water, and yet the water companies still claim they have shortages? Where's it all going? One point that these programs fail to make clear is that the earth has the same amount of water now as it had a million years ago, and we'll have the same amount in a million years time. It doesn't go anywhere. These programs seem to make out we're running out of the stuff.

And how much money to the BBC spend on flying documentary film makers out to lovely sunny parts of the world in order to film them walking through a market for five minutes? Cuba is a poor country, I know that already! I don't need to see another hack sitting at a bar living it up.

I can live on rice and beans.

And so can everyone else.

Do we grow rice or beans in this country, as a nation we can't feed ourselves, we next export F**k All, If each square inch was planted we still can't feed ourselves, I know lets more imigrants in that will solve it, is the govt secretly planning canibalism