Mark Papa EOG Resources, Inc. $90,471,784

Eugene Isenberg Nabors Industries Ltd. $79,333,079

Michael Jeffries Abercrombie & Fitch Co. $71,795,744

:o

Highest paid CEOs, 2008

Stephen Schwarzman Blackstone Group $702,440,573 :o

Bonesman.

Edited by Timm

Why do executives get paid compensation and everyone else gets wages or salary.?

No one in their right mind would accept $705million and say it was a salary. They have to class it as something more, something less menial. Something they are paid to "compensate" their great skills being applied to the beneficiary.

The bank robbers call their loot "bonuses" as they too could not call it wages. The word "wage" connotates fair money for a fair day's work.

seriously you would only work the afternoons and take a pay cut :P

How about work for an hour a year and live frugally on the $385,956 (assuming a 35 hour week).

At £705 million/year, I could work for one month and retire forever.

That is £36million a month

Although looking at it like that, maybe I just need to work for one day, ever.

£1.6million per day

I can fit it in next Monday if he's reading.

PLZ THX

At £705 million/year, I could work for one month and retire forever.

That is £36million a month

Although looking at it like that, maybe I just need to work for one day, ever.

£1.6million per day

I can fit it in next Monday if he's reading.

PLZ THX

Yep, but don't y'know...these people are "talented" and "special" and the cogs of industry "needs" their hard work and their unmatched ability to run corporations. It's nothing to do with power or control, or positioning. These people are genuinely unique and society needs to reward them in order to retain their rare skills and brilliance. Ha!

It's obscene.

Where did you get the info?

I don’t think those wages would be correct. It is probably stock options or stocks they already own.

For example if bill gates has $50B and his stocks go up 20% in a year he has made $10B but that isn’t a wage.

these cant be wages..they would be paying tax....and I doubt they are paying very much at all.

Guest happy?

http://en.allexperts.com/e/l/la/larry_ellison.htm

Larry Ellison

Lawrence Joseph Ellison (born August 17, 1944) is the co-founder and CEO of Oracle Corporation, a major database software company.<h2 class="wk">Early life</h2>Ellison was born in New York City to Florence Spellman, a 19-year-old unwed mother who gave him up for adoption to her distant relatives when he was only nine months old. Lillian and Louis Ellison took him into their home, a two-bedroom apartment located in a modest lower middle class Jewish neighborhood in South Chicago. Ellison recalled to an interviewer that he had a warm and loving mother opposite to an austere, unsupportive, and oftentimes uninterested father. At South Shore High School, he was a bright but inattentive student. At 15, he began a long-term relationship that lasted for five years and ended sorely�"depending on who is asked, he unsuccessfully proposed marriage either once or twice. He lasted until the end of his sophomore year at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign but dropped out following Lillian's death. After a summer in Northern California, he returned home to study at the University of Chicago but left after one quarter. Ending his attempts to finish college, he set out for California.<h2 class="wk"></h2>

risingsun01.jpg

post-8753-1250524265_thumb.jpg

Edited by happy?

But is he happy? :unsure::lol:

I know I would be on that money.

After day one you're financially secure for life... that means you have the ability to just walk ... you're not owned by the mill-owners.

How about work for an hour a year and live frugally on the $385,956 (assuming a 35 hour week).

I like that you assume a CEO of one of the largest firms in the World only works 35 hours a week.

NHS, Civil Service, Train Driver.............which one are you?

I like that you assume a CEO of one of the largest firms in the World only works 35 hours a week.

NHS, Civil Service, Train Driver.............which one are you?

Was just an arbitary number, the product of the calculation would have been a large number regardless. Also depends if you count golf, meetings and dinners as real work.

And in answer to your question, none of the above, not even close.

Something not yet mentioned is that at least the top two of the people named in this list are their company's founder.

I can assure you that any one of them who is a US citizen will be paying serious amounts of tax on their income, no matter where they live.

Edited by schmunk

Indeed:

"Schwarzman began his career in financial services at the investment bank Lehman Brothers, where he reached the rank of managing director at age 31. He eventually became the head of Lehman Brothers' global mergers and acquisitions team. In 1985, Schwarzman and his partner Peter Peterson started Blackstone, which originally focused on mergers and acquisitions. "

That didn't happen through laziness...

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...p;#entry2057807

Nobody was interested :( but anyhow.

They are all above average. All of them, without exception. Because no investor wants a merely average CEO.

So how much do you pay an above average CEO? Above average of course.

Its a pay escalator basically and you have to give them bonuses because they are lazy and feckless otherwise.

As a class they always win because somebody always wins at roulette sooner or later. And then of course, this raises the average a bit, which they are all above.

There is, incidentally, no correlation between CEO pay and the share price of a company.

Nobody, including other CEOs, knows what makes a good CEO. The only way to find out if someone is a good CEO is to make them a CEO. Obviously, they will start above average and go upwards from there because they are all above average. Ah you say, but what if they fail and are replaced? They are obviously replaced with someone above average and definitely more so than the last guy.

Markets make everything more efficient.

This may sound far fetched and like something out of Douglas Adams, because you realise (even if just implicitly) it describes a mathematical function that sounds a little implausible...or is it?

Edit: Ditched lousy graph FOR THE BEST GRAPH EVER!

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/0...pay.graphic.jpg

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090817-708604.html

Edited by Cogs

Stephen Schwarzman Blackstone Group $702,440,573

Stephen Schwarzman, 28th January 2009:

"Forty percent of the worlds wealth was destroyed in the last five quarters. It is an almost incomprehensible number."

Unlike his 'compensation' which is an incomprehensible number."

Edited by Dave Spart