House Price Crash Forum

Best Place In The Uk To Move To

It's a sort of nasty, brutish, ugly kind of creature who values their own opinions, ideas, and manners above others. It also glories in that attitude, taking a perverse sort of pleasure in its defiance of norms.

HPC basically is chav-central.

I don't agree with that definition but it makes a good point. I once met a woman in Islington who, probably rather justly, chided me for a stereotypical statement about Chavs, but then ruined her argument by stating that all Chavs are in fact socially and financially deprived, which is somewhat patronising as an assessment. In my area this is patently not so, but perhaps my definition of Chav is different from hers.

Most Chavs I know (if they are chavs) are far richer than me, or maybe it's that they have more credit than I wish to burden myself with. Either way they do not seem, on the whole, to lack material goods. But what I do notice is that they don't seem to find books desirable objects, while at the same accumulating many DVDs. I think that could be the key, or as good as any other definition.

Edited by VacantPossession
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Chavs I know (if they are chavs) are far richer than me, or maybe it's that they have more credit than I wish to burden myself with. Either way they do not seem, on the whole, to lack material goods. But what I do notice is that they don't seem to find books desirable objects, while at the same accumulating many DVDs. I think that could be the key, or as good as any other definition.

Er, beg to differ from my Burberry-clad sofa.

I know many perfectly respectable people who just don't read books; other than the odd page-turner whilst on a beach holiday. It just seems to be turning into a minority interest.

Look, the UK is basically a chav country. I did think a couple of years ago that things would change and the UK would ditch it's dishonest economy that seeks to take out more than it earns but recent events have led me to believe that it just isn't going to happen. The UK is hell bent on cheating it's way to economic survival and it follows that the sheeple population will continue adopt the same (lack of) morality so earnestly pushed down their throats by the government. I have now ditched the idea of buying a place in the UK and instead will be buying several more houses in France with my str fund. If you want a nice place to live in without being surrounded by chavs then the UK is unlikely to be the place.

What did we have before we had chavs? I'd never heard the word before about 5 years ago (and in fact you still don't hear it in Scotland: we have neds, schemies and jakies (jakeys?) instead), but now it seems that people are queuing up to leave the country because you're never more than 10 feet away from a chav. Were they just the lower classes before?

What did we have before we had chavs? I'd never heard the word before about 5 years ago (and in fact you still don't hear it in Scotland: we have neds, schemies and jakies (jakeys?) instead), but now it seems that people are queuing up to leave the country because you're never more than 10 feet away from a chav. Were they just the lower classes before?

no, there has been a definite change.

I was brought up on a rough council estate, the good hardworking people on the estate always outnumbered the chavs (to use the phrase of the day). Now, the good hardworking people are vastly outnumbered imo.

Everyone thinks they are now middle class, because they don't understand what class is,.

I always thought of myself of classless, but I can't be, because I think there are lower people than me. (morally speaking & nothing else, but it still makes me a believer in class, even though I thought I didn't). This also applies to true middle class & upper class who are also morally corrupt btw.

Guest anorthosite

The cannon fodder's had a few generations to breed unchecked.

Guest Steve Cook
A gated community perhaps, somewhere the filthy unwashed masses can't access.

Its funny how very few people on this forum ever stop to wonder why we have such a problem with so many "fithly unwashed massess" compared to many of our counterparts on the European continent.

Guest Steve Cook
no, there has been a definite change.

I was brought up on a rough council estate, the good hardworking people on the estate always outnumbered the chavs (to use the phrase of the day). Now, the good hardworking people are vastly outnumbered imo.

Everyone thinks they are now middle class, because they don't understand what class is,.

I always thought of myself of classless, but I can't be, because I think there are lower people than me. (morally speaking & nothing else, but it still makes me a believer in class, even though I thought I didn't). This also applies to true middle class & upper class who are also morally corrupt btw.

I agree that everyone likes to think they are middle class now. Which is ridiculous of course.

The fact is, if you have to go out to work to get a weekly/monthly/etc salary that comprises of pieces of paper with ink on them (or their electronic equivalent) and that salary is what you use to exchange with the world in order to pay for your house, car, TV, holiday once a year etc and without that salary you are f*cked becasue you have no other independant means by which you can sustain yourself and so you are only two or three paypackets away from the street......

.....you are working class.

That'll be be most of us then

Edited by Steve Cook

Here is the Wiki definition of chav (I agree except to add that many 30 and 40 something people exhibit loutish chav-like behaviour as well as the youth element):

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chav (pronounced /'tʃæv/) is a derogatory term applied to certain young people in the United Kingdom. The stereotypical "chav" is an aggressive teenager or young adult, who is usually, though not always, of working class background,[1] and who often engages in anti-social behaviour,[1] such as street drinking, drug abuse and rowdy behaviour. They are often assumed to be unemployed or in a low paid job. It first appeared in English dictionaries in 2005.[2][3] The term Charver is more widely used in Yorkshire and North East England.[4] Chavs typically wear tracksuits and hoodies made by sporting brands such as Nike and Adidas. Similarly in the way that the stereotypical 'emos' are known to listen to rock music, typically the type of music that chavs will listen to is dance music and its many sub genres, and rnb/hip hop. Therefore, the modern 'chav' and the modern 'emo' are on opposite ends of the spectrum and are often rivals. Chavs may use bullying or victimize emos because of their differing cultures, and vice versa.

Caricature of a chavChavette is a term generally used for female chavs, similarly to lad and ladette.

Response to the term has ranged from amusement to criticism that it is a new manifestation of classism.[5] One BBC TV documentary suggested that "chav" culture is an evolution of previous working-class youth subcultures associated with particular commercial clothing styles, such as mods, skinheads and casuals.[6] The term has been associated with juvenile delinquency, the ASBO Generation and yob culture

Thailand is renowned for the sleazy-chavs). These are not the 17 year old baseball cap wearing track suited variety, rather the 30-40 something chavs, riddled with earings, tattoos and cigarettes (and that is just the men). They do just as they do at home - dodgy deals, dabble in light drugs and booze, insult foreigners, loutish behaviour.

I like Mr Parry.... Shame on you. ;)

I agree that everyone likes to think they are middle class now. Which is ridiculous of course.

The fact is, if you have to go out to work to get a weekly/monthly/etc salary that comprises of pieces of paper with ink on them (or their electronic equivalent) and that salary is what you use to exchange with the world in order to pay for your house, car, TV, holiday once a year etc and without that salary you are f*cked becasue you have no other independant means by which you can sustain yourself and so you are only two or three paypackets away from the street......

.....you are working class.

That'll be be most of us then

agreed, I am working class, because I have to work.

for ther rest of the board, some anecdotal from GOM:

I was talking to my old next door neighbour in Ossett, just before we moved a couple of months ago. he had bought the house next to the one we were renting, a 3 bed semi. He paid £155,000 for it, they were going for about £185,000 at the top.

So he thinks he got himself a bargain. Every room needs doing up & a new kitchen is required, no electrics to the sh1tty garage etc, no alarm, exterior lights etc.....you get the picture. Nothing major needed though.

He is a plumber/electrician. He was made redundant on the day they were offered the mortgage (I kid you not). I had even said to Mrs GOM I bet this house sale falls through, I was very surprised when it didn't.

anyway....

his wife is pregnant & works (not sure what she does/did, but I would imagine secretary/office junior type). They will have had the baby by now. He has been doing odd contracts since he was made redundant, a few weeks here, then a few days....you get the picture. His van appeared to be more & more on the driveway during the day.....

my point.......

when discussing that now was a bad time to buy,

he said property was a one way bet.

he also said "there are no bad areas in Wakefield." he said this after a few weeks earlier telling me that they definetly wanted Ossett because it was so much nicer there, & the schools were better. :blink::blink: His family lives on Lupset estate, a big council estate in Wakefield. These are the ones that think because they now own <_< a house, they are middle class.

these people are uttely delusional & until this is wiped out nothing will ever change. He & his wife are very indicative of UK today.

he also had a top of the range motor bike, it was an asprilla (the fastest one as he watches Isle of Man TT :rolleyes: ). They also had a fairly new Pug GTI with obligatory private plate & a van for his work.

They are about 28 years old.

We know lot's of people like this. They are all around us. They will make this depression happen.

Mark my Words.

edited to add - there whole lives are on chucky.

Edited by grumpy-old-man-returns

I had the misfortune of doing my weekly shop in the Seacroft (Leeds) branch of Tesco this week. I'm not really sure what I was thinking but I was passing on my way back from a family visit.

This supermarket is hilarious. It's the biggest Tesco store I have ever been in, absolutely enormous. I've never seen such a high concentration of chavs in one place. This store must be one of the chavviest locations in the country. I noted the following bazzer territory markings:

- a large number of modified cars in the car park. This ranged from mis-badged E36 3 series BMWs (M3 on a 318) to full on body-kitted corsas etc.

- a abnormal number of white vans

- an extremely fat man collecting his "missus" from the front of the store by parking on a zebra crossing and blocking the road. When tooted at by another customer on their way in to the car park he responded with a "****** off".

- two pregnant teenagers smoking adjacent to the doorway

- absolutely massive queue at the lottery/fag kiosk. It was virtually snaking out of the shop

- upwards of 60% of the men in the store with tattoos on their forearms

- upwards of 60% of the women with tattoos on their cleavage or lower back - one in particular stood out for me, a rose with the word "Tony" entwined in the stem. Nice.

- a lot of people in sportswear. Maybe they had been to the gym or running?

- particularly aggressive parents. Pretty much mandatory to tell your kids to "****** off" or "shut the ****** up" at regular intervals.

- happy hardcore (I kid you not) playing from the store's music system in the upstairs CD/ DVD/ TV area.

- about three people walking out with large LCD TVS!

- very little fresh meat/ veg - for the size of the store the fresh veg section was tiny.

- the beer area had huge amounts of special brew and frosty jacks cider

- and on leaving I noted trolleys everywhere in the car park. Very few in the trolley park things.

And all this is noted by a regular Bradford Tesco shopper! Much nicer store with an excellent "World foods" selection and loads of fresh veg.

Anyway - my advice is don't move to Seacroft.

I had the misfortune of doing my weekly shop in the Seacroft (Leeds) branch of Tesco this week. I'm not really sure what I was thinking but I was passing on my way back from a family visit.

This supermarket is hilarious. It's the biggest Tesco store I have ever been in, absolutely enormous. I've never seen such a high concentration of chavs in one place. This store must be one of the chavviest locations in the country. I noted the following bazzer territory markings:

- a large number of modified cars in the car park. This ranged from mis-badged E36 3 series BMWs (M3 on a 318) to full on body-kitted corsas etc.

- an extremely fat man collecting his "missus" from the front of the store by parking on a zebra crossing and blocking the road. When tooted at by another customer on their way in to the car park he responded with a "****** off".

- absolutely massive queue at the lottery/fag kiosk. It was virtually snaking out of the shop

- upwards of 60% of the women with tattoos on their cleavage or lower back - one in particular stood out for me, a rose with the word "Tony" entwined in the stem. Nice.

- particularly aggressive parents. Pretty much mandatory to tell your kids to "****** off" or "shut the ****** up" at regular intervals.

- happy hardcore (I kid you not) playing from the store's music system in the upstairs CD/ DVD/ TV area.

- very little fresh meat/ veg - for the size of the store the fresh veg section was tiny.

- and on leaving I noted trolleys everywhere in the car park. Very few in the trolley park things.

And all this is noted by a regular Bradford Tesco shopper! Much nicer store with an excellent "World foods" selection and loads of fresh veg.

Superb anecchavdotal. You just described my worst nightmare.

Sounds horrific, but I think this might be a Tesco thing rather than just the area. With a few exceptions, most of that sounds very similar to the large Tesco store in Weybridge, Surrey - a town that is hardly 'chav central'

Time to bring back National Service or start up some kind of army boot training camps and round all the revolting, fat, smelly, lazy, ill-mannered, aggressive, pierced and tatooed lowlifes off the streets. Let's get this country back to the great country it once was. Have I missed anybody out?

Edited by tplatt
Time to bring back National Service or start up some kind of army boot training camps and round all the revolting, fat, smelly, lazy, ill-mannered, aggressive, pierced and tatooed lowlifes off the streets. Let's get this country back to the great country it once was. Have I missed anybody out?

You must have a good memory

Guest happy?

So let me get this straight, you're advocating that we should encourage physical fitness and training in military techniques among the "ill-mannered, aggressive lowlifes" of the UK.

Doesn't sound like a bright idea to me. You might want to re-think your strategy on that one.

So let me get this straight, you're advocating that we should encourage physical fitness and training in military techniques among the "ill-mannered, aggressive lowlifes" of the UK.

Doesn't sound like a bright idea to me. You might want to re-think your strategy on that one.

Someone earlier made a remark about cannon fodder, maybe that would be preferable?...

Similar experience visiting the 'designer' outlet in Street, Somerset yesterday. Never seen so many shell suits, or tats (and that's just on the women), or generally hugely lard-arsed people (some of them very young). Chav central.

There's strategy in this though, eat enough chips in this country and the Guvmint gives you a free car to be driven to Tescos in, a free electric buggy to ride around in once you get there, and free money to buy even more chips.

Great post and wonderful observation. Thankyou. You obviously don't shop in ASDA very often. What you describe isexactly what you get in any ASDA store any day of the week. Down here in Weymouth the options are ASDA and Morrisons. At this time of year we not only have our regular population of home grown chavs, we also have the invading hordes of London, Northern and Midlands chavs to add to our shopping pleasure.

10 days time and I am moving to the Isle of Wight! Fortunately the Chavs can't swim! :P

10 days time and I am moving to the Isle of Wight! Fortunately the Chavs can't swim! :P

Sorry, Hip to be Bear, you've got a big shock coming to you, then! You go to any main town on the Island and you will find chavs galore!!! We have one of the highest unemployment rates in the country and the highest level of underage pregnancies, so that should give you an idea of what you have to look forward to!

made me think of the film " Triumph of the will " with all the good aryans doing their gymnastics etc