House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Motorcycle Sales See Dramatic Fall As Credit Crunch Bites

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/au...l-credit-crunch

Motorcycle sales are being hard hit as credit crunch Britons cut back their spending on bikes. High youth unemployment is keeping many first-time riders out of the market, while the gleaming superbikes that appeal to fortysomething executives are stuck in the showrooms as potential buyers bank their redundancy cheques, rather than blow their bonuses on dream rides.

According to the Motor Cycle Industry Association (MIA), while much attention has been focused on car sales, UK motorcycle registrations fell by 26.8% to 10,465 in July, and have plunged by 16.8% in the first seven months of the year, compared with the same period last year.

Sales of the smallest bikes, of less than 50cc, have dropped by a third in the first seven months, hit by rising unemployment among youngsters, their most likely buyers. "We're influenced by the wider economic situation – it will improve when the job market improves," said Sheila Rainger, at the MIA. "Young people, aged 18 to 21, are big purchasers of bikes and they are finding it hard to find jobs."

Sales of the biggest motorbikes, of more than 1,000cc, have been a bit more resilient, but are still down 8.7%. "That's the enthusiast part of the market," explains Rainger.

The entire $50bn global industry is suffering. Japan-based Yamaha, the top selling brand in July, has seen its global sales fall by 33%, while Honda's revenue has fallen by 29%, and Suzuki's by 27%, according to Bloomberg data.

It's the recovery.

Perhaps they need a scrappage scheme too?

Once the 4x4 had been bought for the school run, I get the impression that bikes were the next MEW-machine of choice. Boomers on Beamers?

The ambulance crews may be happy to hear of this – seemed to be every weekend in summer they were peeling a weekend warrior off the road/wall.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/au...l-credit-crunch

It's the recovery.

Perhaps they need a scrappage scheme too?

There was an old bloke on here a couple of years ago who told his life story. He was a motorcycle dealer who got wiped out in the 80/90s bust. Was very interesting. Can anyone find the link to that topic?

Once the 4x4 had been bought for the school run, I get the impression that bikes were the next MEW-machine of choice. Boomers on Beamers?

The ambulance crews may be happy to hear of this – seemed to be every weekend in summer they were peeling a weekend warrior off the road/wall.

That's the exact opposite of what the article says. Big bike sales are holding up, it's sales of the 50cc pieces of sh!t that have fallen off a cliff. My observation of bikes is that people who like them will give up a great deal in order to keep it or get or get a new one.

Bikes have been a great example of the excessive pointless design that's needed to shift new models when all the real innovation of the boom cycle has been used up. A bike is a bike is a bike. It's not a better bike if you make it look like a space hopper. It's not better for most of the crap design that has been going on but people still need to have the latest.

For example you must have an under seat exhaust, well yesterday.

2007_CBR600RR_rear_back.jpg

Better yet have 2

Honda-CBR-1000RR-Fireblade-Repsol-Rep-2007-3.jpg

If 2s good 4 must be better

3527072066_74c62c9d0a.jpg

"The 2008 CBR1000RR's exhaust is short and stubby for mass centralization, unlike the underseat unit found in the 2007 model."

2008-CBR1000RR-Honda.jpg

now they're all stubby exhausts. Bikes change more than womens fashion these days. :rolleyes: I honestly can't think of one significant useful innovation.

Any body else know what a Rat Bike is? They were the days. Modern bikers are a bunch of posing nancy boys

That's the exact opposite of what the article says. Big bike sales are holding up, it's sales of the 50cc pieces of sh!t that have fallen off a cliff. My observation of bikes is that people who like them will give up a great deal in order to keep it or get or get a new one.

..is it? They're all down aren't they?

Bikes have been a great example of the excessive pointless design that's needed to shift new models when all the real innovation of the boom cycle has been used up. A bike is a bike is a bike. It's not a better bike if you make it look like a space hopper. It's not better for most of the crap design that has been going on but people still need to have the latest.

Any body else know what a Rat Bike is? They were the days. Modern bikers are a bunch of posing nancy boys

Rat bikes? - loved 'em. Never had to spend 4 hours cleaning them like the Nancy Boy Crotch Rockets in your post..Lol

When I did afford to get a shiny T120 Bonny, I had to enroll the help of the local budding biker babes to shine up the chromework in return for a ride..... :rolleyes:

There was an old bloke on here a couple of years ago who told his life story. He was a motorcycle dealer who got wiped out in the 80/90s bust. Was very interesting. Can anyone find the link to that topic?

Serpico it was.

Cba looking up the post though.

now they're all stubby exhausts. Bikes change more than womens fashion these days. :rolleyes: I honestly can't think of one significant useful innovation.

Anti lock brakes

Fuel injection

Electronic ignition

Traction control

Anti lock brakes

Fuel injection

Electronic ignition

Traction control

Monoshock suspension

Stressed member engines

Dual compound tyres

Xenon lights

Decent 12V electrics

Sat Nav

Small box the sze of a fag packet that I can plug my i phone into

;)

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Organ donor. Probably the best use of a boomer.

Rat bikes? - loved 'em. Never had to spend 4 hours cleaning them like the Nancy Boy Crotch Rockets in your post..Lol

I still run a rat.

dsc1441chsmall.jpg

Slowly (d)evolving over the next few months to a 750 instead of the 1100 which is fitted, as that is in need of some attention.

Edited by Cold Snail

When I did afford to get a shiny T120 Bonny, I had to enroll the help of the local budding biker babes to shine up the chromework in return for a ride..... :rolleyes:

My first proper bike was a T120R way back in 76.

I still get the classic bike mags and they are full of articles about auction prices for old bikes holding up despite the crash.

Pity. I was hoping that prices would fall and make some of my old favorites affordable again. :(

My first proper bike was a T120R way back in 76.

I still get the classic bike mags and they are full of articles about auction prices for old bikes holding up despite the crash.

Pity. I was hoping that prices would fall and make some of my old favorites affordable again. :(

Did you make gaskets from Cornflake boxes and stop the oil leaks with Blue Hylomar? :P

I started riding the same year but had to endure a Francis Barnet 250cc (aka Frantic Banana) for 3 weeks first till I took my riding test.

Guest DisposableHeroes

Motorbike are great...

Good family transport

motorbike-003.jpg

Good for deliveries

motorbike-002.jpg

I posted some time back that the motorcycle industry was in recession, but that didn't go down particularly well here, other posters quoting utter bull$hit from the biking press about bike sales "booming". You only have to look at the thinning pages of Motor Cycle News's advertising pull-out to see that the steady decline has been present for well over a year and a half.

I also pointed out that part of the decline was not just the recession but the completely bonkers marketing strategy of most bike manufacturers who continue to sell increasingly ugly and ridiculously over-powered bikes that are fine on the track but woefully impractical for daily use. To some extent parts of the industry have sensibly seen a niche and have responded by making some more practical tourer or general use bikes that are actually comfortable to sit on for more than five minutes.

But in the main, as I expressed before, the MC industry only has itself to blame. It has got itself into a circular logic about what bikes to make and promote, being led by what is actually a shrinking body of sport-bike enthusiasts who are nevertheless dictating most of the new design strategies, along with a ludicrous body of journalists who write-off any bike that hasn't got the above mentioned gizmos or doesn't achieve a power, typically, of over 120 hp.

Translated to four wheels, that is the same as promoting Formula 1 cars as practical road transport.

Before the sport-bike enthusiasts chime in, I have nothing per se against sports bikes, but they are still given over-weighted prominence which is of course to do with not wishing to be seen as behind "cutting edge" design.

The result is that the UK biking world has polarised into brash, insanely fast bikes at one end, and entirely desirable but ignored innovations like hybrid and maxi scooters, practical two wheeled transport and fuel efficient engines on the other. Most bike engines are woefully lacking in fuel efficiency and the emphasis is on ever more accleration and speed rather than the visceral and highly pleasurable experience of simply being on any two wheeler. Most high powered bikes rarely have their throttles open more than a third, because there is so much power overhead it is simply not useable on the average British road.

Thus, a huge opportunity has been missed, with car drivers increasingly irritated by bikers, sometimes with justification, police forces (especially in Wales) now actively and openly campaigning against bikers and the average non biker having the perception that two wheeled transport is the enemy. And this at the very time when bikes and scooters should be being promoted as a worthy answer to fuel price rises, congestion and pollution.

This absurdly immature attitude by the UK biking world is in stark contrast to most of the rest of Europe, where you do not need to worry about your manhood by going to work on a decent commuter bike or scooter, and where thousands of men and women mount their Vespas and other scooters for an elegant and pleasurable ride to work. In the UK scooters are considered some kind of sub species by most bikers. In Milan, Rome, Granada, Madrid and Barcelona tens of thousands of riders don't possess this childish attitude.

To some extent the increasingly large range of well made and inexpensive scooters and more modest transport are making a dent in the otherwise lamentable sales figures, but we have a long way to go. People will always want exotic transport, but they shouldn't drive the market or be over-represented in the biking press especially at a time when for example, entire areas of London and other Cities would have half their congestion problems solved overnight by eliminating millions of cars with ONE commuting person inside.

I

But in the main, as I expressed before, the MC industry only has itself to blame. It has got itself into a circular logic about what bikes to make and promote, being led by what is actually a shrinking body of sport-bike enthusiasts who are nevertheless dictating most of the new design strategies, along with a ludicrous body of journalists who write-off any bike that hasn't got the above mentioned gizmos or doesn't achieve a power, typically, of over 120 hp.

I agree despite having a one litre sports tourer. I would dearly love a small Triumph say a 400cc or even 250cc street bike as a town bike.

I think thought the world has turned, naked street bikes with lower outputs and even aircooled engines are becoming all the rage

You can use powerful bikes in town though just have to have a very small plate ;)

Anti lock brakes - from cars

Fuel injection - from cars

Electronic ignition - needed for above

Traction control - needed by pussies

Monoshock suspension - Not new

Stressed member engines - not new

Dual compound tyres - needed by people who don't go around corners

Xenon lights - from cars

Decent 12V electrics - from cars

Sat Nav - from ramblers

Small box the size of a fag packet that I can plug my i phone into - 21st century filofax, hardcore

;)

Yes this is more like it, truely individual, owner knows how his bike works, gets the job done, didn't line some corporate arses pockets with his hard earned.

I still run a rat.

dsc1441chsmall.jpg

Slowly (d)evolving over the next few months to a 750 instead of the 1100 which is fitted, as that is in need of some attention.

Don't get me wrong any bike is fun i just think the industry has been full of BS for years selling pointless updates to fools who can't modify their own bike

Anecdotal, I know, but I have just bought and sold a bike.

Sold my 10 year old ER-5, which I have had for 3 years. Made money on it, to the tune of about £200. It's as cheap as chips to run, insure and so basic I could do the majority of the maintenance myself. Had no problem finding a buyer - appeals to the cheap commuter market as well as the just-passed the test brigade.

Bought a CBR off a bloke who must have been late 50s - nice house, presumably of the age where he's paid of his mortgage, kids left home etc. He got back into biking a year or two ago and is trading up to a new VFR (sensibleish tourer). So he clearly had money to spend.

However, my mate is trying to sell a 2005 R1. Not a sniff of interest.

It's horses for courses - cheap to run bikes are selling well, the older generation are still buying bikes - but they aren't the **** up head down lot, are they? When I was looking for my CBR, we spent ages trawling around dealers - on the whole the stock was poor quality and overpriced. I don't have much sympathy for them and they didn't seem particularly interested in trying to sell us a bike. And if you really want a bike that will hold it's value, by a decent (not CBR/race rep) 125.

Also there are plenty of small bikes out there - CB500, Honda Bros, even Bandits which are so cheap to buy, run and insure that it's easy to pick one up to prat about on/commute on. And I suspect scooters are not as popular here as they are in continental Europe is the fact that it's a bit colder and wetter here...

And incidently, John Bloor and the resurgent Triumph is one of the UK's great recent manufacturing successes. Which the government didn't give two hoots about.