House Price Crash Forum

Rightmove - August - 2.2%

HOLA441
A seasonal lull in the recent homebuying frenzy has prompted sellers to reduce their asking prices by 2.2 per cent in August to achieve a sale, according to figures out on Monday.

The typical asking price in the UK is now £222,762, down from £227,864 in July. In London, asking prices have fallen by 3.8 per cent, from £402,761 to £387,265.

Rightmove, the property website, said that the main reason for the fall was that owners selling in the summer months tended to be more “aggressive†with the price because they need to sell but know that there is a smaller pool of buyers.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/money/pro...icle6798312.ece

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Rightmove, the property website, said that the main reason for the fall was that owners selling in the summer months tended to be more “aggressive†with the price because they need to sell but know that there is a smaller pool of buyers.

First time i heard that. Doesnt everyone get property fever during the summer months?

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

utterly meaningless.

yet pleasing nonetheless. somewhere in the recesses of my consciousness i have my own property index which is obtained by taking the lowest of LR, haliwide, & RM for each month and ignoring all of them if none are negative. it's kind of a mirror image of the one that stuey law on assetz uses. i think this latest RM number will take me to 30% off peak.

Edited by the flying pig

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Rightmove is just asking prices. Asking prices are all over the place. You can see rightmove listings with two bed flats next to three bed houses for the same money. I don't think asking prices reflect reality.

HOLA4413
Guest KingCharles1st

Estate agents have reported that chains are breaking down as “approvals in principle†from mortgage lenders fail to result in formal offers. Agents are consequently advising sellers to accept offers from cash-rich buyers rather than bids from those who need mortgages, even if the latter has offered a higher amount.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
As many have said, Rightmove's asking price figures are pretty meaningless.

But, when they are negative, we don't get a load of crowing windup posts from the small army of resident bulltrolls and their many alter egos. So, for that reason alone, it's good news.

My sentiments exactly BB. If it had been up we would have had the bloody Express printing headlines in size 72 font about prices SOARING. Thankfully I can go to the petrol station tomorrow without having to put a bag on my head.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I decided to go have a look at findaproperty inspired by this thread. (I prefer it to rightmove). I went on there, looked at a three bedroom terraced house that looked pretty much the same as the one to the left and the one to the right. Flicked over to sold prices, ceiling for the road 430K achieved in 2006. Nothing else sold in road since 2006. Asking, 499K.

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.a...mp;pid=4531340#

I might bike around and find out exactly which number it is tommorrow.

HOLA4420

Righmove Monthly Change (%)

Aug 08 £229,816 -2.30

Aug 07 £241,474 +0.60

Aug 06 £214,040 -1.60

Aug 05 £196,282 -0.20

Aug 04 £192,335 -2.00

Aug 03 £166,244 0.00

Aug 02 £147,957 0.80

Average = -0.67

So it does normally drop this time of year, well I never. Still -2.2 is better than -0.67 ;)

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

As XswampyX says, Rightmove figures are NSA, i.e. not seasonally adjusted, and in August are typically lower by about 0.5% MoM. Still, a -2.2% is quite large, and corrects for the excess ‘froth’ we’ve seen in Rightmove so far this year.

Here’s the Rightmove SA version using standard methodology :)

35na834.png

Edited by spline

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Hi spline, what "standard methodology" are you using?

Hi Timm, That's broadly the X12 ARIMA stuff, single pass with a 4-year averaging window.

Edit to add: there's an old post on the SA methodology, Nov 2005, here including Excel spreadsheet example, #12 & #13

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...st&p=225761

Edited by spline

HOLA4425