House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
richcrashman

Recycled Silver

I've been offered a bar that is made from recycled silver, it's stamped .999 Ag and is from Holland.

Does this affect the price at all??

FWIW, I don't think it is a problem. I have 10 oz bars of recycled silver, a lump of metal is still metal. The price should be the only thing to bother about.

If the price is good and there is a large supply then let us know.

I've been offered a bar that is made from recycled silver, it's stamped .999 Ag and is from Holland.

Does this affect the price at all??

Does it appear to come from any recognized mint, or does the bar bear the mark of a recognized assay office? What I'm asking is does it have any provenance at all, as I could probably knock up a bar that looked vaguely silverish, and I could easily stamp .999 Ag on it.

There's no problem with recycled PMs though, a large proportion of the world's supply is recycled - even base metals like Pb, Al and Fe are well worth the effort of recycling.

Surely it makes no difference? 99.9% silver is 99.9% silver. A metal is a metal.

In reality, very little precious metal ingots in existence will have come straight from the ground. Almost all of it will have been in some form or another previously.

Can't see where the problems is. In fact, I can't see why you would even point out that it's "recycled".

Can't see where the problems is. In fact, I can't see why you would even point out that it's "recycled".

I think aviation prohibits recycled aluminium being used for aircraft parts.

there might be similar rules for medical silver(?), or silver electrical cables in nuclear power stations.. but to be honest bullion silver is likely to stay bullion silver...

I think aviation prohibits recycled aluminium being used for aircraft parts.

there might be similar rules for medical silver(?), or silver electrical cables in nuclear power stations.. but to be honest bullion silver is likely to stay bullion silver...

Have you any evidence for those thoughts?

What's medical silver btw - either it's high purity elemental Ag or it's not. Are you referring to silver impregnated wound dressings (which obviously are one use only, before a trip to the incinerator where the Ag may or may not be recycled).

I understand that Umicore bars are recycled silver. 999 silver is 999 silver regardless of its previous use. What is imortant is that the bar is trustworthy. Bars made by a recognised refiner validate them as authentic. A kilo blob of metal may well be 999 silver but I would have to assay it to be sure, as would whoever I sell it to. So I wouldn't buy it. Best to stick to recognised bars.

Have you any evidence for those thoughts?

What's medical silver btw - either it's high purity elemental Ag or it's not. Are you referring to silver impregnated wound dressings (which obviously are one use only, before a trip to the incinerator where the Ag may or may not be recycled).

are we talking about airplanes or silver?

my kilo bars are 999,0 (not recycled) and i wouldnt want to put them in my mouth. wiki says "purities greater than 99.999% are available." which is no doubt more expensive than bullion silver & I would guess for medical etc uses.

Purity of 999 fine is way more than adequate for medical use of silver, if you are referring to anti-bacterial uses. Sterling silver is more than adequate for water purification, as the remaining "impurities" are almost all copper, which itself is anti-fungal and anti-algal. After all, you have been drinking water for years which has been through copper pipes, and the leaching of copper into solution in water can be quite high if the water is very acidic (soft water, particularly from granite rocks). Just look at the blue copper carbonate stains on the bath enamel below a leaky tap.

Everybody uses 999 fine silver for medical (anti-bacterial) use in practice, though, as it just sounds "purer" and better. The drinking water in my bottle that I keep in the car has a chunk of Sterling silver bumping around in the bottom of it (it is just a piece of a necklace), and has never gone off in years; there are probably far more impurities from the plastic bottle sitting in the heat of a hot day in the car. All Colloidal Silver (a truly miraculous product, check Google) is made from 999 fine silver.

If anyone needs to use pure silver for any industrial purpose, it is almost certainly related to the conductivity, malleability or other unique properties of silver, rather than the anti-bacterial use. An example would be the use of silver in bearings, where it is used for its' dry-lubrication properties.

To get with the thread, though, I would remind you that all metals are recycled from the rock they are mined out of, and 999 fine bars are 999 fine. How the bar gets to that state is pretty irrelevant, all bullion which has been honestly stamped with a genuine 999 fine mark is near-as-dammit pure silver. I wouldn't feel that the bars from Baird & Co are anything less than pure.