House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
walsingham

Keep Hold Deposit If Reference Check Not To Their Liking

hi - we are about to enter into a prelet agreement which states that if the credit check does not fulfill their criteria( what ever that is ) they can keep our entire holding depost ( 530 pounds on a 1150 PCM property ) not just the reference fee , in fact the only way we can get it back is if the LL backs out.

We have not seen a tenancy agreement yet either, just this prelet which says we agreet to rent it out for such and such amount and the lease period and start date . ( which sounds a bit like a loose tenancy agreement)

We feel very uncomfortable with this as we have only been renting in UK for two years but have good letting history ( no kept deposits ect ) credit and jobs - this is not a "high street "letting agent either, they just have one office and a couple employees it seems .

is this normal- i do not recall our previous LA ever using this verbage or amount ratio.

thanks

I have come across this - i think it may be the norm in London, for example. What surprises me is how large the holding deposit is.

I have only ever had to pay 1 week + credit check fee. 2 weeks non refundable is taking the p!ss.

Edit: Have you asked or can you ask them to justify the holding deposit? Normally the credit check takes max 4 days. If your credit were to be dud, I don't see how that equates to a 2 week rent penalty.

Edited by Toilet-Currency

I have come across this - i think it may be the norm in London, for example. What surprises me is how large the holding deposit is.

I have only ever had to pay 1 week + credit check fee. 2 weeks non refundable is taking the p!ss.

Edit: Have you asked or can you ask them to justify the holding deposit? Normally the credit check takes max 4 days. If your credit were to be dud, I don't see how that equates to a 2 week rent penalty.

You're right - we are in London , haven't asked for justification on holding amount , but our spidey senses are a' tingling and i think ill be calling tomorrow to just get out of this. I just wanted to make sure i wasn't just being paranoid.

thanks all for answering

-w

You're right - we are in London , haven't asked for justification on holding amount , but our spidey senses are a' tingling and i think ill be calling tomorrow to just get out of this. I just wanted to make sure i wasn't just being paranoid.

thanks all for answering

-w

I think it is unlawful (not not illegal) check the OFT website and look for the OFT 356 guide

hi - we are about to enter into a prelet agreement which states that if the credit check does not fulfill their criteria( what ever that is ) they can keep our entire holding depost ( 530 pounds on a 1150 PCM property ) not just the reference fee , in fact the only way we can get it back is if the LL backs out.

We have not seen a tenancy agreement yet either, just this prelet which says we agreet to rent it out for such and such amount and the lease period and start date . ( which sounds a bit like a loose tenancy agreement)

We feel very uncomfortable with this as we have only been renting in UK for two years but have good letting history ( no kept deposits ect ) credit and jobs - this is not a "high street "letting agent either, they just have one office and a couple employees it seems .

is this normal- i do not recall our previous LA ever using this verbage or amount ratio.

thanks

If this ever got to court the LL would have great difficulty convincing a judge that his "not accepting your reference" wasn't the same as "him backing out".

It isn't legal

tim

If this ever got to court the LL would have great difficulty convincing a judge that his "not accepting your reference" wasn't the same as "him backing out".

It isn't legal

tim

I would think you're right , when i called to call it off today i got this gem: we wouldn't get to see the tenancy agreement , TILL THE day we got the keys...which she seemed almost annoyed i was asking about it, after all she said," it's just a standard tenancy agreement"

It's a shame the LL went with the cheapest sleazy LA, we would really like to get into that rental .

thanks

walk away... plenty of better deals around!

Alternatively...screw the middle man and rent directly with a LL. Plenty in local paper I bet.

Edited by flatnose

I paid a similar amount last time I moved. (South West London).

Worked out fine, but if in the same position again and with more time on my hands, I hope

I'd walk away.

thanks

I've come across this before in north london. I always refuse to have anything to do with holding deposits and pre-lets; lost a few this way - but it's a killer indicator of a scum agent (well ... slightly more scummy might be a more accurate way to put it).

I got stitched on this when l was a student 18/19. Basically we had to provide £50 ea (worked out about £250) as part of this pre-let rubbish, before we could even see the tenancy agreement! Once we got it, it had some slightly weird clauses that we ran past a friendly legal bod who told us to walk away. £250 gone for nothing.

Once bitten...