House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest theboltonfury

I Bet Les Denis Loves This

"The company overstretched itself and collapsed, forcing Morrissey's business partner into bankruptcy.

But Morrissey has made an independent voluntary arrangement which means that all his earnings, minus his living costs, will got to his creditors for more than three years."

Good bet .

Any chance of a new series featuring Bob the Builder, now called Bob the Doley can he scrounge it.

Bob, blew all his cash made during the housing boom on a BTL property portfolio, a land-rover discovery (on finance), alcohol, Kebabs, cocaine, hookers, premium rate phone lines and a Sunday Sport subscription. He is now struggling to find work in post credit crunch Britain, and is faced with the dilemma of doing a bit of cash in hand work for Mr Beasley, but he is worried about the dole finding out. Bob also has a claim going through for full disability living allowance and is hoping to get a car on the mobility scheme, so he really needs to be very carful that the job centre don't catch him working. To complicate things further Bob is trying to keep the cash in hand work a secret from his former business partner Wendy, who is now a single mother and is trying to get Bob to take a DNA test so that the CSA can take what's left of his cash. Bob bitterly disputes being the farther and suspects that the baby is a result of a one night stand with Farmer Pickles to whom he bares a remarkable resemblance.

I watched that program he was on with his mate, brewing beer and opening a pub.

He seemed like he had literally no idea how to run a business. But he did seem decent and what he says in the article rings true - he's a natural optimist and doesn't have much side as far as I could see.

And he was good at selling himself. I'm sure he'll do fine.

What I do wonder, though, is: why don't these people just save the money until their career is over? They insist on "investing" it in things that take time and money to get good at!

Guest theboltonfury
I watched that program he was on with his mate, brewing beer and opening a pub.

He seemed like he had literally no idea how to run a business. But he did seem decent and what he says in the article rings true - he's a natural optimist and doesn't have much side as far as I could see.

And he was good at selling himself. I'm sure he'll do fine.

What I do wonder, though, is: why don't these people just save the money until their career is over? They insist on "investing" it in things that take time and money to get good at!

I remember footballers used to invest in restaurants. I guess they don't do that now.

The actor, who lives in Crouch End, north London, said he lost £2.5 million after investing in a string of hotels and pubs.

He told the News of the World he would not file for bankruptcy and intended to pay his creditors in full.

Where in the contracts through which he lost £2.5million did it say he was morally entitled to all the money back again because they were sh1te investments?

There is no such thing as moral responsibility in contract law. He was taken to the cleaners investing in the hotels and pubs and he's an idiot if he spends the next however many years paying all his net earnings over to people who aren't entitled to it.

Prize chump both ends up.

How much do these people earn for God's sake? I'll just repay 2.5 mil over the next 3 years - no probs.

OR has a list of allowances they let normal people get away with...

wonder if they have a rich list version?

+1,

unlike Bovey with his attitude of 'why should I use my own private money to pay creditors' . Morrisey has messed up (greedy - maybe, stupid - probably) and is working to pay off his debts.

I suspect a lot of spin in this story - typically an IVA still leaves you with assets and writes off a significant portion of your debt. I hope I am wrong and he IS doing the decent thing, but I am a cynical goat.

Was it just me or did anyone else find the idea of Leslie Ash being portrayed grade A, cordon bleu trim a little too unbelievable in Men Behaving Badly? I mean, nearly EVERY episode involved them going on about how fit she was... No wonder he misjudged his business deals as well.

Someone like Neil Morrissey can earn about 10-14k for a simple 'PA' (personal appearance), that maybe only takes a few minutes out of his day. So 2.5 mil over a couple of years is no problem. He can probably earn £100k over the next two weeks doing TV appearances talking about the fact he hasn't gone bankrupt. Lucky chap and he's alright by me because I had my bucketful of laughs watching men behaving badly.

Respect for him deciding to take his medicine in doing an IVA.

If he can earn that much why did he take out loans?

And he's had to pay tax still on it all AND it's a blinking recession out there. Time celebs got real. £30 for an afternoon hard autograph signing.

Anyone getting into the pubs/hotel business with a smoking ban* in the horizon needs their head looking at!

<_<

*I gave up smoking 5 years ago, but I vehemently oppose the ban. Nail in the coffin of the good old British boozer and undoubtedly encourages drinking at home.

Was it just me or did anyone else find the idea of Leslie Ash being portrayed grade A, cordon bleu trim a little too unbelievable in Men Behaving Badly? I mean, nearly EVERY episode involved them going on about how fit she was... No wonder he misjudged his business deals as well.

They were supposed to be ordinary blokes, so this was quite believable. She was very attractive in an obtainable, unthreatening girl next door way. You figured you might be in with a shout...

Guest theboltonfury
It was pubs as well. My old man was mates with Les Sealey, he lost a bundle on pubs.

Poor old Les. Tragically young.

Alex Ferguson ran boozers before he took up management.

I figured he was clueless when he tried to buy an old mill about 300 yards from where I live. He wanted to turn it into a posh restaurant/hotel, but the area is Herts/Beds, no tourist trade, just a little too far off the A1 to attract passing trade, and a little too far from London. There were access issues and major planning issues too. In the end his business partner, who is local, rented it to his sister, which presumably didn't cover the interest on the loans

I figured he was clueless when he tried to buy an old mill about 300 yards from where I live. He wanted to turn it into a posh restaurant/hotel, but the area is Herts/Beds, no tourist trade, just a little too far off the A1 to attract passing trade, and a little too far from London. There were access issues and major planning issues too. In the end his business partner, who is local, rented it to his sister, which presumably didn't cover the interest on the loans

Fools and their money... <_<