House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
anonguest

The Madness Of It All.......

On balance people will argue this should probably be an 'off-topic' posting, rather than here.......

BUT, I genuinely want to use this story to illustrate just one of the more widely known examples of Government waste of both money and British lives - and hence its economic side.

We are told we are spending countless millions and countless soldiers lives (as well as all the innocent and accidental killings of natives) so that we can eradicate hostile, barbabrous and primitive terrorists - and yet at the same time we support a government that does this!? :blink:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8204207.stm

Regardless of your voting tendencies, does anyone here really truly believe that we would automatically endanger ourselves here at home in the high street and shopping centres, significantly more than at present, if we just marched right out of that hell hole right now today??

The sad thing is that, in times of recession such as this, Joe Average couldnt care less about the poor Afghan women or the complexities of the pros/cons of a few thousand troops in Afghanistan.

Edited by anonguest

On balance people will argue this should probably be an 'off-topic' posting, rather than here.......

BUT, I genuinely want to use this story to illustrate just one of the more widely known examples of Government waste of both money and British lives - and hence its economic side.

We are told we are spending countless millions and countless soldiers lives (as well as all the innocent and accidental killings of natives) so that we can eradicate hostile, barbabrous and primitive terrorists - and yet at the same time we support a government that does this!? :blink:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8204207.stm

Regardless of your voting tendencies, does anyone here really truly believe that we would automatically endanger ourselves here at home in the high street and shopping centres, significantly more than at present, if we just marched right out of that hell hole right now today??

The sad thing is that, in times of recession such as this, Joe Average couldnt care less about the poor Afghan women or the complexities of the pros/cons of a few thousand troops in Afghanistan.

The government has an agenda thats about oil and pipelines - they care not for the Afghan people of the 'terrorism' that is being supposedly bred - it all basic spin to get their hands on assets. All the other stuff you hear is just distraction.

The government has an agenda thats about oil and pipelines - they care not for the Afghan people of the 'terrorism' that is being supposedly bred - it all basic spin to get their hands on assets. All the other stuff you hear is just distraction.

I do actually realise that oil/resources is what its about. It would be so nice if they were honest about though.

The even sadder thing is that, IF explained bluntly to us all that its all about ensuring relatively cheap and available energy, then you'd be surprised how many Average voters would still support this sort of overseas action - if the alternative meant losing the lifestyle they're used to and effectivley going back to the 1950's or earlier!

TPTB are really afraid of losing the publics support on it Afghan action for no good reason. MPs just tell us the truth, and be surprised at how few voters tell you to stop it! I cant see too many MPs losing their seats over this issue.

I do actually realise that oil/resources is what its about. It would be so nice if they were honest about though.

The even sadder thing is that, IF explained bluntly to us all that its all about ensuring relatively cheap and available energy, then you'd be surprised how many Average voters would still support this sort of overseas action - if the alternative meant losing the lifestyle they're used to and effectivley going back to the 1950's or earlier!

TPTB are really afraid of losing the publics support on it Afghan action for no good reason. MPs just tell us the truth, and be surprised at how few voters tell you to stop it! I cant see too many MPs losing their seats over this issue.

They'd be better off pulling the troops, accepting oil and gas are "difficult" and spending the money on vigorous research into alternative energy.... cold fusion, magnetism, whatever.... and I don't just mean giving a few quid to a few Universities.... I mean buying the best brains in the business, knocking a few heads together and ploughing serious cash into know-how and resources. The gumments all whine about oil etc, and the best they can come up with is giant windmills.... and that's because they're not taking new energy sources seriously.

They'd be better off pulling the troops, accepting oil and gas are "difficult" and spending the money on vigorous research into alternative energy.... cold fusion, magnetism, whatever.... and I don't just mean giving a few quid to a few Universities.... I mean buying the best brains in the business, knocking a few heads together and ploughing serious cash into know-how and resources. The gumments all whine about oil etc, and the best they can come up with is giant windmills.... and that's because they're not taking new energy sources seriously.

You're missing the point!

Our economy is heavily dependent on arms exports: we're #2 supplier of arms to the world's nastiest regimes (after the USA, and ahead of any four other countries put together). Since the end of the Cold War, the US/UK has needed this long series of other wars as an effective arms industry trade show.

Just imagine the job losses if our arms industries wound down. Or the balance of trade if the rest of the world stopped buying!

That's the reason for all these wars, starting with the 1990 Gulf war.

You're missing the point!

Our economy is heavily dependent on arms exports: we're #2 supplier of arms to the world's nastiest regimes (after the USA, and ahead of any four other countries put together). Since the end of the Cold War, the US/UK has needed this long series of other wars as an effective arms industry trade show.

Just imagine the job losses if our arms industries wound down. Or the balance of trade if the rest of the world stopped buying!

That's the reason for all these wars, starting with the 1990 Gulf war.

I'm sure you're right.... but imagine how much more money we could make if we perfected cold fusion or similar, patented it and took a cut every time it was used.

On a higher plane, imagine how much better off we'd all be if we sought an end to war, encouraged close co-operation with our neighbours, near and far, and taught our kids that the pursuit of money and material things was inferior to spiritual / human development and that the goal in life was to be content and happy, not rich and famous.

When people realise that having things does not make them happy, then perhaps we can study what does.