House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Things That You Think Are Great

The tone I'm going for is enjoy, rather than think are should be / classics.

For example The Godfather Trilogy wouldn't count (even if most people hadn't heard of it) because it smacks of oneupmanship. Whereas if you, say, thought that Police Academy 6 was a genuine comic masterpiece cruelly overlooked because the other 5 were so awful then it's in.

Also try to avoid cool or deliberately obscure stuff. I have a Sombre Reptiles tape, unheard of 80s synth band. I like it but some things are obscure for a reason.

Anyway, here are mine:

1 The Sir Henry Rawlinson works by Vivian Stanshall

Tremendously funny wordplay. A laugh out loud comic world where the references keep fizzing and it doesn't matter if you miss them. This counts as minority because whilst there are always a few fans about (Patfig for example), it is not generally known which is a shame.

http://www.iankitching.me.uk/music/bonzos/rawlinson-end.html

2 The Don Camillo stories, Giovanni Guareschi

Tales of a small village community in early 50s rural Italy. The dynamic is the battle between the communist village authority and the priest, Don Camillo, and his supporters. It has a Last of the Summer Wine cosiness on the surface but with the legacy of the war there are tommy guns, grenades and the odd murder.

Televised dreadfully by the BBC in the 80s, and put on Radio in the 90s with equally rubbish results.

The books however sing; one day there will be a decent dramatic rendering.

http://home.comcast.net/~doncamillo/

3 Alan Garner's books

The Owl Service is namechecked in my sig and brings in Welsh mythology to a modern context; Elidor does similar for Irish mythology. They create their own world, but being accessible to children can mean they are dismissed as children's books. They're much better than that.

The Owl Service had a half decent TV series in the 70s and a good radio play in the 00s. I've never seen anything for Elidor.

His early books, The Moon of Gomrath and The Weirdstone of Brisingamen, are an enjoyable read but are more for children.

http://alangarner.atspace.org/

Any others? It's a big world out there.

Football Factory (film). Every reviewer seemed to think that acknowledging any enjoyment in the film would mark him out as a National Front allied lager lout. It's been copied several times but never bettered. It captures the spirit of going on away days perfectly.

Anything from Italy in the 1980s, particulatly the synth music and horror/zombie films. I think the govt there gave tax breaks or funding for films shot there in the 1980s, so theres tonnes of obscure tasteless films.

Most people just think of the Italians as a bunch of hairy sweaty womanizers, but many great people like Michaelangelo, da vinci and i guess in aroundabout way, Archimedes too originate from there.

Also the works of Robert Crumb.

The tone I'm going for is enjoy, rather than think are should be / classics.

The Sir Henry Rawlinson works by Vivian Stanshall[/b]

Tremendously funny wordplay. A laugh out loud comic world where the references keep fizzing and it doesn't matter if you miss them. This counts as minority because whilst there are always a few fans about (Patfig for example), it is not generally known which is a shame.

http://www.iankitching.me.uk/music/bonzos/rawlinson-end.html

Actually, pretty much anything by Vivian Stanshall.

Also the short stories of Robert Aickman ("strange stories", he called them).

Guest DisposableHeroes
MotoGP.

Rossi looks good for the title with Lorenzo low siding and Stoner ill.

Nine world championships will be an incredible achievement.

3d Glasses and Software driver that enables me to play most of my games in 3D with my projector. Combined with surround sound it is as the title of this suggests "Great".

Guest DisposableHeroes
The film - Dogma

The event - Red Bull Air Race

Dogma is a great film, Alanis Morissette as 'God', Genius.

Also like, Good Will Hunting and Rounders.

Rossi has got it in the bag with Lorenzo low siding and Stoner ill.

He appears to have got inside Lorenzos head - just as he has got into Biaggis, Gibernaus and Stoners.

He is, without doubt the GOAT.

All hail the 46.

vacuum%20drink%20bottle.JPG

http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/Stanley-...nk-Bottle-0.47L

Don't ever buy a crappy insulated mug again, these are only £15 and properly vacuum insulated so stay hot for hours, don't leak when closed so you can carry it in a bag and you can drink from any angle of the lid, oh and it doesn't give you a wet nose.

So good i have more than one and use it in at home too, i have a hot coffee for hours instead of a few minutes and overall drink less as i can just sip it for hours. Should win a prize for design.

The Humber Bridge

humber_bridge_pic.jpg

Humber_Bridge.png

Pictures don't do it justice, it is impossibly big. Still the biggest in the UK, and the fifth biggest in the world.

The Humber Bridge. Pictures don't do it justice, it is impossibly big. Still the biggest in the UK, and the fifth biggest in the world.

Not only that, it helps you get out of Hull that much quicker...

Field Archery - Gets you out in the outdoors, a very decent walk up and down hills, some beautiful courses in the many forests of the UK and is as cheap as chips once you have the kit (which can be picked up very cheaply initially).

This is not the boring target stuff that most people would associate with Archery.