House Price Crash Forum

Why Are We In Afghanistan?

athom

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00m0...end_16_08_2009/

5mins onwards Gordon Brown says we should never forget why we are there, but who really knows why we're there?

Then he says "3/4 of all the terrorist plots to hit Britain derived from the mountain areas of Pakistan and Afghanistan" But was that before or after we invaded? And does this mean we are officially at war with Pakistan? Our PM is saying they are attacking us? We're already bombing them. If it walks, talks and smells like a war....

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
I thought it was all down to the oil pipeline....

OIL! You think oil is an issue here? Well i've never heard them mention it so i think we have to assume it's nothing to do with oil.

Come on people, why are we killing on a massive scale?

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Hopefully, our presence in Afghan is the lesser of two evils.

Hopefully ....

So we are being evil but not as evil as them? In what way are they more evil? Something they have done already or something they might do?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
To stop the Taliban and the terrorists who they allow to use it as a base.

Did the Taliban do 9/11?

If not did they have prior knowledge that Bin Laden was going to do it from his Afghanistan base? I can understand if a disparate group with little to loose launch an attack but i have a hard time thinking the national government ie. the Taliban would consider taking on the USA when they had no real reason to.

I found the pipeline angle on the BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/west_asia/37021.stm the Taliban were hopeful that they would come to a deal on a pipeline, people were being trained in the US etc. They didn't seem to "hate the usa and it's freedom" very much.

HOLA4414
OIL! You think oil is an issue here? Well i've never heard them mention it so i think we have to assume it's nothing to do with oil.

Oh they never mentioned it, just like Iraq was not about oil

IT'S ALWAYS ABOUT OIL

If "they" ever told you the truth why tens of thousands of people have to die in their own lands, by the hand of our and American armed forces, we would never sign up for it.

The Taliban Pipe Line and if you don't divvy up your out. In go the marines and its ....serving regime number two please. Sure we as a client state of the American Empire [OK Hitler never set foot in the UK, but think on the Yanks never left] like I was saying if we as a client state have to loose some bodies securing the oil for Pax Americana, its just part of the deal.

There's one rule you have to remember in the oil business....and it is this, always ensure your at the paying end and not the dying end of the business.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
There does not appear to be a viable political strategy. Every attempted occupation of Afghanistan, ever, has failed. The Afghans, unlike the Iraqis, have never had a stable state. I do not understand how this war is supposed to end. What achievable target are we trying to achieve? I don't think there is one.

You think we're not trying to achieve a target? :blink: We must be up to something. But what is it? Bloody expensive you know.

But i'll tell you how this war will end. We'll start publicly proclaiming how they are ready to take over security themselves, our mission is done, it was a resounding success and no one died in vain, not even the uncounted Afghani civilians who sacrificed themselves so the remaining population could live free from tyranny. Tears will be in everyone's eyes as the union flag is lowered and Our Boys come home to a hero's welcome. 2 weeks later the Taliban will be back in Kabul and the collaborators will be swinging from lampposts.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
I am no expert, neither do I see conspiracy everywhere I look, but my understanding is they are sponsors of terrorism.

Sponsers? In what way?

Do they run marathons for jihad or something?

The taliban have fu*k all in terms of weapons, equipment and money. I suppose they could "sponser" terrorism by donating 40 year old AK-47s and camels to terrorists in the west? :rolleyes:

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
I suppose we all like a war, especially when it's half way round the world and there is no danger of our losing.

If they would up the age limit for the territorials slightly I wouldn't mind a crack at it myself.

You want to be in the terrortorials? For a jolly?

HOLA4425

Is it so when an Afghan wife refuses to have sex with her husband and he starves her the British troops will be called in if she tries to eat?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8204207.stm

An Afghan bill allowing a husband to starve his wife if she refuses to have sex has been published in the official gazette and become law.

Archived