House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bogbrush

And They All Live In Little Boxes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8201900.stm

The floor area and room sizes are the smallest in Europe - the average room in a newly built dwelling in France is 26.9 square metres, compared with 15.8 square metres in the UK - and, the graph below shows how British new-builds are less than half the size of those in the United States and Australia.

and while we're at it, this seems appropriate..................

Little boxes on the hillside,

Little boxes made of ticky tacky,

Little boxes on the hillside,

Little boxes all the same.

There's a green one and a pink one

And a blue one and a yellow one,

And they're all made out of ticky tacky

And they all look just the same.

And the people in the houses

All went to the university,

Where they were put in boxes

And they came out all the same,

And there's doctors and lawyers,

And business executives,

And they all play on the golf course

And drink their martinis dry,

And they all have pretty children

And the children go to school,

And the children go to summer camp

And then to the university,

Where they are put in boxes

And they come out all the same.

And the boys go into business

And marry and raise a family

In boxes made of ticky tacky

There's a green one and a pink one

And a blue one and a yellow one,

If it wasnt so serious it would be funny.

People bought houses they couldnt afford which are too small to live in.

If it wasnt so serious it would be funny.

People bought houses they couldnt afford which are too small to live in.

If that's not funny I don't know what is

If that's not funny I don't know what is

I dont think people in that position are laughing.

I know what its like to live in a cramped house and its not pleasant and if they are in negative equity they are trapped.

Whats worse is that they have to work and go without to pay the mortgage and worry if they fall behind with payments.

I wouldnt wish that on anyone.

I dont think people in that position are laughing.

I know what its like to live in a cramped house and its not pleasant and if they are in negative equity they are trapped.

Whats worse is that they have to work and go without to pay the mortgage and worry if they fall behind with payments.

I wouldnt wish that on anyone.

Or you split up with your partner and have to sleep with you legs bent on a 2/3 size sofa.

I go along with the sentiments of newbuilds being too small, just can't really understand the sentence below:

"the average room in a newly built dwelling in France is 26.9 square metres, compared with 15.8 square metres in the UK"

That's approx 4m x 4m or 13' x 13'. If that were the average room size in a new-build I bought I'd be pleasantly surprised.

Taking in all the rooms inc. small bedrooms, I'd be surprised if the average was more than 12 sq m.

And 'kitchen not even big enough for kids to play while cooking'. Isn't that more than half of even older, larger houses have? More than a little of 'how the other half lives' about this article. The reality is actually far worse than portrayed here.

It is most likely a significant factor behind explaining why the population of the UK has more than twice the European average incidence of mental health issues and personality disorders.

Actually thinking about it whats worse is that some people in this situation dont even own the whole property.

They are part share. And with house prices fallen 20% they see for sale proper houses with land they could own 100%

for the same price as they paid for a 2 bed rabbit hutch.

I could never understand with a flat you have no land you just have a space in the air.

If after 30 years they have to knock the block of flats down what do you own?

"the average room in a newly built dwelling in France is 26.9 square metres, compared with 15.8 square metres in the UK"

That can't be right, that's the size of my living room and I wouldn't call that overly small.

Edited by RDW

Australia has the biggest rooms go figure.... they have HEAT!

Since moving to Scotland and discovering the joys of paying exorbitant heating oil bills, larger rooms are not what I would want. We have a smaller house up here and are paying four times what we used to pay for gas.

I live in a studio. The total floor space is about 14'x16' (that's the whole of it, not one room).

What's wrong with houses is layout and storage.

Given free rein to jiggle this place about I could turn it into twice the living space that it is, just by better layout and a good solid ceiling-to-floor-wall-to-wall storage system.

Oh - and not buying stuff.

Take a kitchen. I have 3 small tiny units, cutlery drawer, 2 narrow pan drawers, two base units. Can't actually get many things in them because theyre so tiny. One good larder-style cupboard ceiling to floor in the kitchen would mean the kitchen could be less cluttered and in half the space it could deliver twice the pleasure and store 4x as much stuff/gadgets/food/whatever.

Layout and large storage... the solution.

Edited by ScaredEitherWay