House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mr gambino

Advice Needed,just Been Made Redundant

I worked for a Yorshire based M&E company for 7 years, it turned out that the recievers were called in and closed the company down on tuesday late afternoon.I work on site and had no knowledge of this,our wages are paid on wednesday and never got paid in so i lose 2 weeks pay as i am paid 2 weeks in hand.

I went home wednesday to Great Yarmouth where i live as i new by dinner that the company was insolvent, at the time of writing no one rang from our office to say its over, the first i new officially was in yesterdays post where i had a pack fron the recievers informing me that "you are redundant with immediate effect".

Question is,what do i do now i am upset and confused, the wife is worried and started doing double shifts.I have a few forms to fill in and am told i have to register as unemployed? What do i tell them?do i be sparing with the truth? i understand that if i have over £6,000 in savings,that i do have i will get nothing,also the wifes earnings are taken into account? How can this be,i have worked for 34 years, paid all my dues and now cannot get a decent payback.

I am 49 so i guess i get 1.5 weeks wages x 7 years service? eventually! as my redundancy.

Green shoots and all that! it is getting worse out there.

I worked for a Yorshire based M&E company for 7 years, it turned out that the recievers were called in and closed the company down on tuesday late afternoon.I work on site and had no knowledge of this,our wages are paid on wednesday and never got paid in so i lose 2 weeks pay as i am paid 2 weeks in hand.

I went home wednesday to Great Yarmouth where i live as i new by dinner that the company was insolvent, at the time of writing no one rang from our office to say its over, the first i new officially was in yesterdays post where i had a pack fron the recievers informing me that "you are redundant with immediate effect".

Question is,what do i do now i am upset and confused, the wife is worried and started doing double shifts.I have a few forms to fill in and am told i have to register as unemployed? What do i tell them?do i be sparing with the truth? i understand that if i have over £6,000 in savings,that i do have i will get nothing,also the wifes earnings are taken into account? How can this be,i have worked for 34 years, paid all my dues and now cannot get a decent payback.

I am 49 so i guess i get 1.5 weeks wages x 7 years service? eventually! as my redundancy.

The first 6 months of JSA (£64 p.week)are based on your N.I contributions and are not means tested so any savings you have or your partners earnings won't go against you - after that its income based. Even if you don't qualify for income based JSA you will still receive N.I credits.

I wouldn't advise committing fraud.

The trick is to try and get a job ASAP. Good luck with that. I've just applied for a job with the DWP at my local Jobcentre! Unemployment is the future.

The first 6 months of JSA (£64 p.week)are based on your N.I contributions and are not means tested so any savings you have or your partners earnings won't go against you - after that its income based. Even if you don't qualify for income based JSA you will still receive N.I credits.

The trick is to try and get a job ASAP. Good luck with that. I've just applied for a job with the DWP at my local Jobcentre! Unemployment is the future.

Thanks, was worried i would end up with a couple of quid a week.i will of course be seeking work, but in all honesty there seems nothing much about in the industrial/commercial field at the moment.i would like to go self employed eventually as i have lost faith with employers and their dogma.

Statutory Redundancy will be paid - eventually - by Government: from the National Insurance Fund.

That is the law where employers are insolvent and the liquidators are unable to pay once the assets are liquidated and the preferential creditors are settled: employees come far down the pecking order, as Non-Preferred Creditors.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Red...Job/DG_10026695

Consider paying a large proportion of your joint savings into a pension: this will then enable you to receive maximum state benefit as the value of any accrued pension benefit does not affect benefit entitlement.

And this would benefit you in the future.

Can't give any useful advice, but I'm sorry to hear of your situation Mr Gambino. :(

It's such a shock when things happen so suddenly like that, and it all takes a while to sink in... I hope you find new work soon.

As I understand it if your JSA is contribution based it is not affected by your partners earnings even after six months i.e. you continue to receive it

Thanks, was worried i would end up with a couple of quid a week.i will of course be seeking work, but in all honesty there seems nothing much about in the industrial/commercial field at the moment.i would like to go self employed eventually as i have lost faith with employers and their dogma.

If you decide to go self employed then you might qualify for up to £250 p.week in working tax credits if your Self employed earnings are between £0 - £6000 p.a. :rolleyes:

http://www.taxcredits.inlandrevenue.gov.uk...TaxCredits.aspx

Best advice I can offer is find a charity advice line/CAB and speak to someone to ensure that you are clear about your rights.

Without wishing to worry you move don't count on getting the redundancy as a certainty either. You are a preferred creditor as an employee but it will take forever and depending on how bad the company's situation is you might not get all of it.

Chin up. Batton downthe hatches, start to watch every penny and get out there looking for a job. You should incidentally get your first chunk of job seekers allowance I think. As I understand it the means testing doesn't kick in until you have exhausted that first period and move on to income support.

GOOD LUCK!

As I understand it if your JSA is contribution based it is not affected by your partners earnings even after six months i.e. you continue to receive it

That is wrong - after 6 months you go onto income - based and your partners income (amongst other things) will be takr=en into account

That is wrong - after 6 months you go onto income - based and your partners income (amongst other things) will be takr=en into account

yeah sorry just checked. Unbelievable, pay into a system for years and get nowt out. Good old Britain.

Hey Guys, can't we help Mr Gambino be a bit more positive, sounds like he has some good skills and experience and 49 is not a bad age to get a job, I'd say it definitely gets harder for people 54+, butGiven that most people only stick in job for 3 years on average, I can't see why a new employer would have any issue with a 49 year old.

Mr G, what specific area were you working in? You say M&E which I take to be media and entertainment?

You may have you to travel a bit, but I know there are plenty of new M&E jobs likely to be popping up around Media City in Salford, could be worth a look. I'd suggest getting in contact with a good recruitment firm/headhunter and see what they can bring to the table for you.

I changed jobs during the real dive in the economy back in March, and I'd say things are somewhat better now.

Hi,

My understanding is that if you have between 0 - 18k coming in to the house then working tax credit wil make up your money to about £21,700.

However I think that figure can go up if you have more than one child.

Does anyone know if this is correct or not?

We have one child.

I am self employed working 20 hours per week. My projected profit is £8k

My wife is self employed and works 20 hours per week. She's started a new business and her projected profit is just £1k

Our other income is about £3k from interest on savings.

Total income therefore is projected at £12k. We receive £83/week made up of WTC and CTC.

Guest skullingtonjoe

You`ve paid your contributions and they`re going to bellyache about the fact you`ve been prudent and saved money?!

Best thing to do is not declare any savings and just make sure that any benefits are paid into an account that does not have your savings in it. ;) That way if they ever snoop around they won`t know about your other accounts (just make sure they`re not tied up to ISAs or anything that is relatively easy to trace).

Thanks everyone for your help and sound advice.When i said M&E in meant mechanical and electrical,i have actually 34 years in the industry, my skills are industrial side of things on heating,steam,plumbing,gas,(pipework)on new builds or refurbs,one area i think may give me a head start is the gas certification now Gas safe not corgi.These dont come cheap and a prospective employer may consider them as a bonus the industrial ones are a rareity.

The one area i have enjoyed working in is renewables,ie Biomass systems and see with this goverments agenda great opportunities for the indusrtry.

Sorry not trying to sell myself here, its just someone did ask.

Any way, going to get the Motorbike out and blow the cobwebs out of my hair.

Triumph t509 Speed Triple if your interested. :rolleyes:

Once again a big thank you.

Guest skullingtonjoe
Thanks everyone for your help and sound advice.When i said M&E in meant mechanical and electrical,i have actually 34 years in the industry, my skills are industrial side of things on heating,steam,plumbing,gas,(pipework)on new builds or refurbs,one area i think may give me a head start is the gas certification now Gas safe not corgi.These dont come cheap and a prospective employer may consider them as a bonus the industrial ones are a rareity.

The one area i have enjoyed working in is renewables,ie Biomass systems and see with this goverments agenda great opportunities for the indusrtry.

Sorry not trying to sell myself here, its just someone did ask.

Any way, going to get the Motorbike out and blow the cobwebs out of my hair.

Triumph t509 Speed Triple if your interested. :rolleyes:

Once again a big thank you.

And I wish you the very best - an impressive record of experience (and experience is very lacking these days, especially as the world and his dog have got a degree! :lol: ). If and when you do have dealings with any benefit agency, be very careful how much you say you are worth or they won`t pay up as much as you should be getting (in the moral sense as opposed to the legal one). A lot of people pay in their taxes and NI only to find that - because they`ve got more than 3 grand in cash - their savings are taken into account when calculating their benefit. Quite a few people have had a nasty shock when they open the brown envelope from the DWP :angry:

If one the other hand they`d never done a day`s work in their lives, been nicked for shoplifting and come from a family of anti-social chavs, they`d be laughing - the benefit would come cascading in :rolleyes::(

And I wish you the very best - an impressive record of experience (and experience is very lacking these days, especially as the world and his dog have got a degree! :lol: ). If and when you do have dealings with any benefit agency, be very careful how much you say you are worth or they won`t pay up as much as you should be getting (in the moral sense as opposed to the legal one). A lot of people pay in their taxes and NI only to find that - because they`ve got more than 3 grand in cash - their savings are taken into account when calculating their benefit. Quite a few people have had a nasty shock when they open the brown envelope from the DWP :angry:

If one the other hand they`d never done a day`s work in their lives, been nicked for shoplifting and come from a family of anti-social chavs, they`d be laughing - the benefit would come cascading in :rolleyes::(

Dont get me started, next door have 8 children, all outside as i type dismantling the neighbourhood, total 11 in the house, no parent works.Get this! one kid is even named after the road we live in in the style of the Beckhams! The dog is called DOG!!! as they couldnt all decide on a name.

Two doors down an economic migrant ;) has had his berlingo thingy here for around 7 years, no tax 7 years,, no mot, it has no back window, no side window, no wing mirrors,you really need to see a picture to see what i mean.we have residents permit parking and guess what? you got it he does not have one, he has foreign plates and the council will not pursue non payment.i had my motorbike out there one day with no tax displayed (as it gets wrung off) and had the police round to say get it off the road.

Think i may join the ranks and start smoking weed and drinking super strength lager and getting up at 2.Sure i would be better thought of. :rolleyes:

Guest skullingtonjoe
Dont get me started, next door have 8 children, all outside as i type dismantling the neighbourhood, total 11 in the house, no parent works.Get this! one kid is even named after the road we live in in the style of the Beckhams! The dog is called DOG!!! as they couldnt all decide on a name.

Two doors down an economic migrant ;) has had his berlingo thingy here for around 7 years, no tax 7 years,, no mot, it has no back window, no side window, no wing mirrors,you really need to see a picture to see what i mean.we have residents permit parking and guess what? you got it he does not have one, he has foreign plates and the council will not pursue non payment.i had my motorbike out there one day with no tax displayed (as it gets wrung off) and had the police round to say get it off the road.

Think i may join the ranks and start smoking weed and drinking super strength lager and getting up at 2.Sure i would be better thought of. :rolleyes:

Don`t give up, sir!

There are millions of people who have had enough and one day there`s going to be one Godalmighty kick up the chavs` collective backsides as the government of the day will realise that they cannot keep on supporting such scum (especially when they behave the way they do) :angry:

My view - you`ve paid your taxes and NI, now it`s your turn to take what is owed to you. Just why the hell savings are taken into account I do not know. If we`re going to go that way, then I think £30 grand bank savings should be the floor value before we start talking about messing with people`s benefits (according to how long you`ve worked and paid into the system).

It seems that the more irresponsible you are, the easier life becomes. Once you`ve unloaded yourself of the burden of trying to be a good citizen, the world is your oyster (courtesy of those who do work and live within the law). 11 people in one house! Jesus - we must be talking Frank Gallagher / Vicky Pollard territory here! If - as in the case of economic migrant guy - you`re in a `vulnerable` group, the council won`t touch you. <_<

You might also want to look up `Riviera Ray` Woolley on Google (he`s my kinda guy, except he `bigged himself up` and didn`t run far enough, resulting in his getting banged up!) :(

Guest X-QUORK

Very sorry to hear about your situation, which is all too common at the moment. Whilst not quite the same, as a contracting engineer I was out of work for a few months myself at the beginning of the year. The one mistake I made was to not sign on for JSA straight away, I believed we needed to use up our savings before we could claim. I also rather foolishly thought I'd be able to claim retrospectively, which whilst technically possible, very rarely actually happens.

Throw away any misguided notion that claiming JSA is sponging. It isn't your fault that your company went bust, you've paid your insurance (tax and NI) and now it's time to make the claim (JSA). It's the least the country can do after collectively f*cking up the economy.

Stay positive, get fit, and make finding a new job your new job.

Best of luck.

Ok, quick update.Rang the Job center today and registered as unemployed, had a fairly decent guy on the phone for about an hour asking all sorts of questions so went along with it all. I have an interview at the job center tomorrow at 9.45 am that i must attend and take 2 forms of id for me and wife, bank statements,isa details, share details,premium bond details, wifes pay slips, my tax reference, etc,etc, etc, i am deflated allready.I will keep you informed how it goes.

To bulltraderpt, yes the car is on the road, yes we have complained to the police but the answer is this.As long as he claims he is returning to his country every 6 months then there is nothing we can do!It is about right for this country! This Road is a joke to be honest, we have so much trouble with feral kids that the Police have started to park the Mobile cctv van here, i have found it best to befriend them rather than confront them and get the car scratched.

Ok, quick update.Rang the Job center today and registered as unemployed, had a fairly decent guy on the phone for about an hour asking all sorts of questions so went along with it all. I have an interview at the job center tomorrow at 9.45 am that i must attend and take 2 forms of id for me and wife, bank statements,isa details, share details,premium bond details, wifes pay slips, my tax reference, etc,etc, etc, i am deflated allready.I will keep you informed how it goes.

To bulltraderpt, yes the car is on the road, yes we have complained to the police but the answer is this.As long as he claims he is returning to his country every 6 months then there is nothing we can do!It is about right for this country! This Road is a joke to be honest, we have so much trouble with feral kids that the Police have started to park the Mobile cctv van here, i have found it best to befriend them rather than confront them and get the car scratched.

I think you get the JSA £65.00 a week no matter what, the question is, does the wife earn more than your mortgage and council tax, if not now might be a good time to split up and her to take all the savings to her mothers.

The jobcentre was used by the Tories to undermine the working class. Labour will now use it reduce the middle classes to working class status.

I really don't want the middle class in the workplace - USELESS fecks.

We are glad you've shared your opinion with the world, it sooooooooooooo enhances my day.

People coming out of Uni expecting to manage other people? Who? Not me. It is the fake of the century 'middle class'. You work, or you don't.

Do they, are you sure about that? :unsure:

The only place that happens (as far as I know) is in the British military where graduates after gaining a commission get let loose on the non commissioned types (with disastrous effects).

Let us set aside degrees in engineering, medicine, physics, the hard one stuff you can't fake. What do they come out of Uni expecting to do? I have not met someone from Uni in years that is any use. I would not employ them, if I had to, they would need a lot of re-engineering. I have just started a job with 2 University grads as interns, and they don't know to make a record of who paid a cheque in and what for. That is so effing basic, I weep!