House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mega

You Know That Flu Shot They Want You To Take

DAMM, DAMM!

MY PLAN OF WORLD DOMINATION HAS FAILED, HOW DARE IT BE LEAKED THAT MY FINEST VACCINE CREATION IS DANGEROUS....

NEXT TIME GADGET, NEXT TIME!!!

23.jpg

Who wants to go first? :unsure:

I work for one of the companies supplying a sizeable proportion of the UK swine flu shots (tho' I'm not personally in the vaccines division).

Apparently us employees are among the group going first... (and there was me thinking this was a perk of the job). Maybe I'll phone in sick on jab-day :blink:

I work for one of the companies supplying a sizeable proportion of the UK swine flu shots (tho' I'm not personally in the vaccines division).

Apparently us employees are among the group going first... (and there was me thinking this was a perk of the job). Maybe I'll phone in sick on jab-day :blink:

Why should you have take the day off? They can't force you to have it.

Why should you have take the day off? They can't force you to have it.

True, I'm being facetious to some extent. I'll probably take the shot. Although I think the risk from SF is low, the risk from Guillain-Barre appears extremely low. On the balance of benefit-risk, the vaccine is probably just about worth it.

Thank you for posting this. My best friend is part way through his recovery from Guillain-Barre Syndrome yet I had no idea this immunisation poses this risk. I have forwarded the link to my friend and will look into this further. Thank you.

Like the MMR-autism link, you head it in the Mail first!

And like the MMR-autism link, it is probably made up pseudo-science to sell papers.

Just the point I was going to make. The Mail-sponsored hysteria over MMR-autism is considered by the scientific community (as it always was) and the rest of the media (more lately) to be groundless.

Ben Goldacre of the Guardian did a wonderful column on Mail scare-mongering recently: He pointed out that the paper was simultaneously warning against the dangerous cervical cancer vaccine in England, where it is available, and demanding the life-saving cervical cancer vaccine be made available in Ireland, where it isn't.

On a different note, sometimes when these apocalyptic scenarios (swine flu killing 1 in 3) appear to fail to happen, I feel a little cheated out of a good bit of drama.

Sometimes I wonder if this makes me a bad person, to sit there thinking "So it looks like our civilisation isn't going to collapse... shame... oh well, never mind, there'll be other interesting things to experience..."

But OTOH I believe strongly that morality is about actions not thoughts. I would go so far as to suggest that there are no bad thoughts, only bad actions... (expressing thoughts to others counts as an action). And since in reality I would do all I can to prevent an apocalypse, no harm is done by a few apocalyptic tin-foil-hat fantasies.

And like the MMR-autism link, it is probably made up pseudo-science to sell papers.

I think calling the whole MMR autism thing pseudo-science is an afront to pseudo-science. Just plain made it up on the spot-science is more like it.

I think calling the whole MMR autism thing pseudo-science is an afront to pseudo-science. Just plain made it up on the spot-science is more like it.

On second thoughts its more like made it up on the spot so I can earn a huge fee from some people who are paying me to just make it up on the spot-science

WOW - never thought i would be posting this but

"well done mail for some great journalism" (ps i still wont buy your paper though!)

particularly enjoyed the part that we had all been talking about with the last vaccination in the US.