House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skirmish

Walking Out Of A Meeting.............

Say a small committee meeting of 8 people or so where one of those present has become totally unreasonable and verbally aggressive.

My question.

Is it a sign of strength or weakness for me to walk out?

Say a small committee meeting of 8 people or so where one of those present has become totally unreasonable and verbally aggressive.

My question.

Do they need you in the meeting, can they carry on without you?

Walking out, flouncing, slamming the phone down all weak - sorry.

It depends on who was who? and what they were doing.

My question.

It depends. If the meeting isn't going anywhere, is likely to not get anywhere and the outcome won't affect you anyway then I can't see the problem in walking out. Staying would just be pointless. You don't have to put up with abuse.

My question.

depends on how you leave, if say the meeting is in a room on the 30th floor and you walk out through the door id say weakness, if you leave through the window id say that was strength and gets your frustration across far more powerfully

My question.

You haven't given us enough information to help you here -- what are the consequences or either action?

Still why bother working in an abusive environment in the first place? Is abuse common there and is the aggy a superior or a peer? And what do you mean with unreasonable and verbally agressive -- there are different levels thereof, what you class as shocking someone else might think of as 'lively'...

And what would be your reason for walking out -- watching the nutter unhinge is too embarrassing for you, you're afraid he'll target you, or you just don't want to see the misery unfold? Pride perhaps?

And is it worth it to risk peeving said person? Crazy people often have crazy ideas and are easily obsessed, so volunteering to get noticed here may be suboptimal.

Oh well,no matter what happens, remember this: it will all be over in 100 years ;)

My question.

Only weak if you go back without extra pay.

I will not tolerate infantile behaviour, no matter how "challenging" the agenda is. I welcome a good measured debate, but professionalism always comes first, which I felt was not exhibited by certain members of the committee. I suggest all members review their future conduct, and perhaps a code of conduct be drawn up if the maxium positive outcomes and objectives are to be achieved.

Blah, blah.

Turn the situation around - you have the power to do it.

Can anyone do better?

Words asert power, use them.

If they are all cu*nts then you'll have to be bigger and badder, their loss is your gain, time to get some dirt and dish it back OR leave if it's not in your character.

Recessions are horrible times for middle management types - the only way to survive is to be meaner, worker smarter rather than harder, OR cosy up to some contacts high up in management.

My question.

I think the answer to this one is that it would be better to stay. You wouldn't be the only one offended by this persons behaviour and you would have more support than appears. By staying this will demonstrate that he is the weaker person

Random question..

Why does the appearance of strength/weakness matter?

I was assuming the OP wasn't trying for an elaborate bluff designed to lure adversaries into misunderestimating them.

Seem to recall Taleb saying something about making a stand every so often so people don't think you're a doormat, that I kinda agreed with.

depends on how you leave, if say the meeting is in a room on the 30th floor and you walk out through the door id say weakness, if you leave through the window id say that was strength and gets your frustration across far more powerfully

:lol::lol::lol:

+1

Random question..

Why does the appearance of strength/weakness matter?

Spot on. What was your objective and does walking out move you closer or further from that objective. You are not your behaviour but then neither is he

You did have an objective for yourself in that meeting didn't you?

My question.

Try it. I warn you though once out of the room it will be the day of the long knives for you. Your no longer there too defend yourself!

Walk out its a suicide mission. If he has a personality problem wind him up till he assaults you then have him sacked. Then its power struggle time. A much better game!

Recently, I was termed aggressive in a meeting, however this was a slightly raised and stern voice and I wasn't going to back down until everyone had understood what was a vital piece of information - the website that the company is based around did not work.

No swearing, no abuse. I was termed aggressive as the MD does not like to hear the truth. I would like to know what you termed aggression?

I did walk out of a meeting a few months back as it was utter drivel and was hitting 2 hours with no sign of stopping (my MD has meetings which hit 4 hours plus to no obvious benefit) as I had a lot of actual work to do, which I told them as I excused myself. So my advice is to provide yourself with a get out for any meeting to keep it within a time limit (meeting, deadline etc), then you have a time limit on appalling behaviour, which is also what I term my MDs fantasist waffling and lies, I am not contracted to listen to his rubbish, I am contracted to work.

Silly bit, one of the people who he got in to listen to his drivel with an average meeting time of 3.5 hours charged him for every minute of it plus food and travel. If he wants to pay people to listen to him I think he should get a psychiatrist.

Guest skullingtonjoe
Recently, I was termed aggressive in a meeting, however this was a slightly raised and stern voice and I wasn't going to back down until everyone had understood what was a vital piece of information - the website that the company is based around did not work.

No swearing, no abuse. I was termed aggressive as the MD does not like to hear the truth. I would like to know what you termed aggression?

I did walk out of a meeting a few months back as it was utter drivel and was hitting 2 hours with no sign of stopping (my MD has meetings which hit 4 hours plus to no obvious benefit) as I had a lot of actual work to do, which I told them as I excused myself. So my advice is to provide yourself with a get out for any meeting to keep it within a time limit (meeting, deadline etc), then you have a time limit on appalling behaviour, which is also what I term my MDs fantasist waffling and lies, I am not contracted to listen to his rubbish, I am contracted to work.

Silly bit, one of the people who he got in to listen to his drivel with an average meeting time of 3.5 hours charged him for every minute of it plus food and travel. If he wants to pay people to listen to him I think he should get a psychiatrist.

It`s very easy to label someone as `aggressive` and then groom them for death by a thousand cuts.

Problem is - my friend in Switzerland comes across this a lot - is that 50% of his job entails doing something; the other 50% is spent on political manouevring. I agree with what you`ve said, but ultimately the political situaion and power games come in and not much gets done.

Which is why we`re pretty much doomed as a species! :unsure:

My question.

Chin the cu*nt first.