House Price Crash Forum
Darkman

What's *really* Wrong With Britain?

Here's a question I pondered today (and most days actually).....

what's *really* wrong with Britain?

I came up with two major issues. Some may disagree with me on them....

The green belt

Firstly, I think our green belt protection policy is a sham designed to protect the wealthy and support high land prices. What exactly does the policy protect? Areas that virtually no one visits? I used to support the policy myself, but times change and with a rising population sacrifices have to be made. If not, we'll all end up like rats in a cage. I don't want to live like that.

The welfare state

It's becoming a joke in this country that most council homes are built to a better standard than new developments. And not only that, but it's virtually a career choice for many to never work and live on the dole. Our welfare state is also attracting attention in foreign countries and some make it their mission to come here simply to sponge. This has got to change. We can't afford it.

Feel free to add any issues.....

Agree totally with both.

Also think whatever youre politics, liberal or not, that we are in the EU superstate is a travesty. Democracy should be local and transparent, not a sprawling mass of beareaucrats not even in the UK.

Also think we should eliminate ethnicity from politics, and treat humans as one 'race'.

Guest KingCharles1st

Totally agree- have been saying this for ages and ages on here.

Sod the green belt- dig it up!

What's wrong with Britain??

THE CLASS SYSTEM!!

Too many middle class tossers wanting to shaft each other in order to feed their insecurity has destroyed the UK.

Middle (working) class grasping fu*ks should all be sent to war IMO. :rolleyes:

Edited by Wait & See

1) Too much debt - Will take some time to correct. Will be a mixture of large pain for those with the debt

and some pain for the savers (inflation)

2) Welfare too much - I believe in looking after people, but shouldn't be a lifestyle choice. It's good for

no-one if people will be worse off by getting a job.

3) Govt too large. There's some things they should do (health, education, security...), but they seem to want

to be involved and have a scheme for everything - leave us alone.

4) Imbalance of the tax system - work should not be taxed at 54% (higher rate including NI and ENI), soon to be

much more, while a gamble ('investment') is taxed at way less

...we are governed by people who spend without limit but pay no attention to earning the spend ..result as we speak for the country and all who intend to live here is exploding debt ...we must get rid of these small minded morons now and elect people who will govern..... <_<

Guest happy?
Here's a question I pondered today (and most days actually).....

what's *really* wrong with Britain?

I came up with two major issues. Some may disagree with me on them....

The green belt

Firstly, I think our green belt protection policy is a sham designed to protect the wealthy and support high land prices. What exactly does the policy protect? Areas that virtually no one visits? I used to support the policy myself, but times change and with a rising population sacrifices have to be made. If not, we'll all end up like rats in a cage. I don't want to live like that.

The welfare state

It's becoming a joke in this country that most council homes are built to a better standard than new developments. And not only that, but it's virtually a career choice for many to never work and live on the dole. Our welfare state is also attracting attention in foreign countries and some make it their mission to come here simply to sponge. This has got to change. We can't afford it.

Feel free to add any issues.....

Things have never been the same since the BBC axed the Morecambe and Wise Christmas special.

Green Belts? I'de hardly classify that as one of Britain's biggest problems <_< And by the way, when they are gone and Britain is one super city. Well I'll leave that to anyone wanting to watch the movie "Soylent Green" .

I agree with point two. There are whole segments of people who feel very content as leeches. And yes again, there are others world wide who know a free ride when they see one on tv. Free education, free health care, free housing, cash allowances and lots of do gooders bleeding their hearts for you. They would never get that back home. So why not slip in and settle down for the duration.

I will say the idea that financial services could be a real long term economy for Britain. The "City" looked good for awhile, but it is all illusion. You create no wealth by financial engineering. Also, way too many upper class Brits look down their noses at productive people, in business, trade and everyday workers who make society function. The class system creates just the blood sucking leeches who sponge off of the dole. Heck, the upper classes do nothing, why should I.

Any society that degrades work like this country is doomed. Work is to be admired, soiled hands are not a badge of shame. ;)

Edited by hallander3

What's wrong with Britain??

THE CLASS SYSTEM!!

Too many middle class tossers wanting to shaft each other in order to feed their insecurity has destroyed the UK.

Middle (working) class grasping fu*ks should all be sent to war IMO. :rolleyes:

...are you upper class, working class or under class......?....just to understand from which angle you cast.... <_<

The greed that has overtaken this nation.....

From young to old, doesn't matter what you're doing or what you're buying everyone wants what they cannot have.

Essentially I think we all detest each other, it's only the thin fabric of 'civil society' that keeps things in order.

There's far too much wrong to put right IMO.

BF

Britian has arranged her tax system so that the surpluses of production go to the owners of real estate rather than the producers Abandoning the green belt simplistically will simply turn over another 30 years of production to real estate speculators

Edited by Stars

...are you upper class, working class or under class......?....just to understand from which angle you cast.... <_<

I just want to be a UK citizen. Unfortunately this country is obsessed with putting everyone in a specific box.

Insecurity runs riot as the punters spend more on tick in order to look successful.

Tragic b4stards. :rolleyes:

Guest happy?
The BBC. Something else wrong with the UK. ;)

The list goes on and on.

And another thing - Fred Basset's not been the same since Graham died.

I just want to be a UK citizen. Unfortunately this country is obsessed with putting everyone in a specific box.

Insecurity runs riot as the punters spend more on tick in order to look successful.

Tragic b4stards. :rolleyes:

..thanks..helps me to put your comments in context....but also feel your comment above "Insecurity runs riot as the punters spend more on tick in order to look successful" ....could apply to an element within each of the classes you envisage..... <_<

Guest sillybear2
Green Belts? I'de hardly classify that as one of Britain's biggest problems <_< And by the way, when they are gone and Britain is one super city. Well I'll leave that to anyone wanting to watch the movie "Soylent Green" .

:rolleyes:

So you're saying every urbanised area in the UK, every city, town and village that all in total occupies less than 10% of our landmass will suddenly be replicated 10 times over? And the UK will home to 600m people, talk about scaremongering.

Edited by sillybear2

Sorry to state the obvious, but we need a written constitution, which sets out rights/ responsibilities of individuals and the limits of the state.

That should be enough to halt the encroachment of Big Brother, endless new legislation, over-zealous political correctness, positive discrimination, surrender of powers to Brussels etc.

Ideally it will foster self-reliance amongst the public rather than a constant state of dependency and entitlement.

A constitution wouldn't cost much, and could be completed and voted upon within a reasonably short timeframe (within a parliamentary term).

Guest sillybear2
greed is what is wrong with the uk, everyone is self serving

Well, you would say that, wouldn't you. ;)

More things that are *really* wrong in Britain

The retirement of toilet paper that looks and feels like tracing paper.

I had that at my village Primary School. It more moved things around that removed anything. The country has become a farce ever since this is no longer put in schools.

Automatic sanitation devices in pub toilets

Those machines that go 'whoosh' every time you take a leak. They make us the laughing stock of Europe. Look at the French. They are hardly past defecating into holes in the ground, and look at their economy!

Wagon Wheels getting smaller.

Another example of Big Business sh*tting on the small man.

The replacement of the Ford Cortina by the Ford Sierra.

Every since this happened back in '82, the economic and spiritual decline of the UK has been obvious. Chavs on the streets, the emergence of Rick Astley and the rise and fall Blair. All signs of our impending doom, and all have happened since that fateful change by Ford. Thinking about it though, I suppose it might have been The Human League. I always thought Phil Oakey was a bit of a t*sser.

The migration from analogue to digital technology in cordless phones.

Try as I might, I can no longer get an analogue cordless phone, and have not been able to for a few years now; I had to go back to corded. The father-in-law changed his phone to so-called 'safe' digital technology, and only two weeks later went berserk after an argument with his wife, ran his car into a bus queue and had to be shot by a Police Marksman. Coincidence, I think not!

Barcodes

Ever since these *evil* things were introduced, the disintegration of our social fabric has become obvious! It takes approx 4 seconds to scan an item in a Supermarket nowadays, compared with at least 12 seconds for the cashier to find the price tag and type the value in. Results:

1) Less time spent interacting with people in the supermarket, meaning less social skills, meaning more violence on the streets and more dependency on Soaps and Oprah.

2) The beeps, that damn beeping, will it ever stop!!!!

2) Less retired cashiers with arthritic fingers.

They are the route of all evil.....(unless you are a cashier retiring soon).

Foreigners, people with regional accents and basically anyone who does not agree with me.

I think it is time we threw out all of these spongers, layabouts, hippies and communists. We should send them all back to Russia, especially anyone who disagrees with my great idea about compulsory sterilization for anyone who can't trace their lineage back to pure breed, flaxen-haired Saxons!

Edited by vlad the impaler

That should be enough to halt the encroachment of Big Brother

...that girl who advertises the hair shampoo will not be pleased....but... nobody watches it any more anyway... <_<

..thanks..helps me to put your comments in context....but also feel your comment above "Insecurity runs riot as the punters spend more on tick in order to look successful" ....could apply to an element within each of the classes you envisage..... <_<

Lets leave class out of it then and just say that the UK public are racked with insecurity, needing to get on the property ladder and purchase a Renault Scenic in order to feel like proper people. Not forgetting the 40" LCD TV.

Is buying this sh1te really worth being in debt to the scum banks for??

(The UK is rotten, you know this South Lorne. That's why you frequent HPC.co.uk. :) )

Edited by Wait & See