House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

redwine

Cheap Diesel Used Cooking Oil !

I have been hearing alot on the radio and watching on the tv recently about a new business

These companies collect used cooking oil from industrial groups like Mc cann , Mc donalds, school cantines etc

What they then do is to filter it and re-sell it for 40p a litre you have to fill your diesel car with diesel and old cooking oil a sort of 50% diesel 50% cooking oil

They say that the oil has been heated up so that it oxygen in it and it is more fluid they even have "kits" for modern cars

direct injection etc it seems to work well on old diesel cars or so they say i have never done this myself

Just curious does anybody know if this really works without killing your engine

I thought it was legal as long as a record is kept of volume used so tax can be paid, although I think with tax it becomes more expensive than diesel.

Anyway, diesel's a dirty fuel, or rather the vehicles that use it don't get the attention they need and it becomes a dirty fuel in practice.

Get a nice V8 and enjoy proper motoring.

TFH

"They say that the oil has been heated up so that it oxygen in it and it is more fluid they even have "kits" for modern cars "

generally when you heat a fluid the ability to hold oxygen decreases. Thats irrelevant though as the oxygen is supplied in the intake gasses. They also hold less oxygen when hot (after compression by the turbo) and so are cooled by an intercooler.

as far as I know it can work very well in certian engines with the correct fuel pumps. Most pumps are either lucas or Bosch, I cant remember which is best.

Cooking oil is more viscous than diesil and so certain pumps cant cope. Most systems either start the car with a small tank of standard fuel, then switch to cooking oil once engine is upto operating temparature (cooking oil is heated by the cooling fluid), or use an electrical heater in the fuel line so thet the car can be run on neat oil.

Personally I would only do it on an old banger as the long term effects are not as clear cut as some might suggest.

as far as I know it can work very well in certian engines with the correct fuel pumps. Most pumps are either lucas or Bosch, I cant remember which is best.

Cooking oil is more viscous than diesil and so certain pumps cant cope. Most systems either start the car with a small tank of standard fuel, then switch to cooking oil once engine is upto operating temparature (cooking oil is heated by the cooling fluid), or use an electrical heater in the fuel line so thet the car can be run on neat oil.

Personally I would only do it on an old banger as the long term effects are not as clear cut as some might suggest.

If it's straight veg oil you're putting in, it's the Lucas pumps that often fail, soon after starting using it. I'd have thought it's something that's best used in an old banger rather than anything newer; modern diesels are are a lot more sensitive to what fuels and oils you use.

As for duty, the 2500 l figure is if you make biodiesel. You can make and use this much before having to pay full duty, but only if the fuel you make meets the required spec. As far as I know, straight veg oil is classed as a fuel substitute, and that's full duty.

As for duty, the 2500 l figure is if you make biodiesel. You can make and use this much before having to pay full duty, but only if the fuel you make meets the required spec. As far as I know, straight veg oil is classed as a fuel substitute, and that's full duty.

http://www.biodiesel-fuel.co.uk/how-to-make-biodiesel/

I have a friend who gets vast quantities of used oil from a couple of take away restaurants and turns it into biodiesel as described at the link. I can't remember the details, but he's registered with HMRC or something and is doing it legally. So far, it doesn't seem to have done any damage to his, relatively new, Golf.

If you want to run your car on used cooking oil, I think you need to get it chipped.

I`ve already got me coat.

The bloke that used to own my house had a setup where he converted cooking oil for fuel. He had a 44 drum a pump and a drain hole plumbed up to the sewer in the garage.

He drove a V8 utility.

I would be very careful.A customer just had to replace a diesel pump on a Vectra - £1900!

Get a nice V8 and enjoy proper motoring
So passe now, as the dash to reduce cylinders is under way.

The next BMW 3 series and Mercedes C Class models, under development now, are reported (in Autocar magazine) to rely on 3-cylinder engines in the base models - both petrol and diesel - and these aren't superminis but mid-size executive saloons.

If it's straight veg oil you're putting in, it's the Lucas pumps that often fail, soon after starting using it. I'd have thought it's something that's best used in an old banger rather than anything newer; modern diesels are are a lot more sensitive to what fuels and oils you use.

Once you go above 2500 litres, it has to meet the required spec to qualify for the reduced tax rate for biodiesel. Straight veg oil would be taxed at the full rate, but you still have the 2500l annual allowance. If you buy it off someone else, then they have the 2500l allowance across all their customers.

This BBC article was written before the 2500l allowance was introduced. Back then, cooking oil was about 45p per litre and Diesel was about 80p, so it was still worthwhile even after paying the tax. HMRC had a lot of people declaring tax on small amounts of cooking oil and it was costing them more to administer than they were receiving in tax from them. Of course, there would be no way of knowing if they declared all the oil they used. If they get stopped by the police, and show them a tax certificate for some cooking oil, there isn't much the police can do without further evidence.

Once you go above 2500 litres, it has to meet the required spec to qualify for the reduced tax rate for biodiesel. Straight veg oil would be taxed at the full rate, but you still have the 2500l annual allowance. If you buy it off someone else, then they have the 2500l allowance across all their customers.

This BBC article was written before the 2500l allowance was introduced. Back then, cooking oil was about 45p per litre and Diesel was about 80p, so it was still worthwhile even after paying the tax. HMRC had a lot of people declaring tax on small amounts of cooking oil and it was costing them more to administer than they were receiving in tax from them. Of course, there would be no way of knowing if they declared all the oil they used. If they get stopped by the police, and show them a tax certificate for some cooking oil, there isn't much the police can do without further evidence.

HMRC Biofuels is one of the HMRC sheets about it.

The law describes biodiesel as a diesel quality* liquid fuel that is produced from biomass or waste cooking oil:

* the ester content of which is not less than 96.5% by weight; and

* the sulphur content of which does not exceed 0.005% by weight, or is nil.

If it doesn't meet that, they don't accept it as biofuel, whatever quantity you use. If you go over 2500 l, you need to register with them; under, you just have to keep records.

I remember the cooking-oil-cheaper-than-diesel period. If I remember right, supermarkets cottoned on and put cooking oil up to over £1.20 / l :angry:

As for being stopped, it might be alright for private use, but trying to fiddle it when you're running a business is a dangerous game. These people have got one hell of a lot of power, and if they think you're up to something, they can and will tear your records apart to find what they want..they seem to see it as your job to prove yourself innocent,with vehicle mileage records vs. diesel receipts etc. They can cripple your business, and not charge you at the end; as you never see the inside of a court, you have no chance to have your say.