House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AlanS

Gas Supplier

Hi been lurking around for a while now.

i need abit of advice.

got my quarterly gas bill couple of weeks ago, noticed i got charged 2 diffrent price rates.

the unit rate and standing charge have gone up 100% from June 2009 compare to what i normally pay!!!!

phoned them straight away and been told that my contract have been automatically renewed for another year in June and they claimed a renewal notice was sent to me back in January early this year.

5months before the renewal date!!

now i'm definately sure i have never received that letter, otherwise i'd ring up to discuss the huge increase in price or change supplier.

what can i do about that? can they renew your gas contract without your permission?

thanks

Well I think they cant, they renewed your contract without your consent. There is no signature from you agreeing to this.

BT started doing something similar, saying they sent out letters telling people that unless they explicitly state they dont want to renew, they would be tied in for another 12 months.

What can you do? I dunno perhaps bend over.

Hi been lurking around for a while now.

i need abit of advice.

got my quarterly gas bill couple of weeks ago, noticed i got charged 2 diffrent price rates.

the unit rate and standing charge have gone up 100% from June 2009 compare to what i normally pay!!!!

phoned them straight away and been told that my contract have been automatically renewed for another year in June and they claimed a renewal notice was sent to me back in January early this year.

5months before the renewal date!!

now i'm definately sure i have never received that letter, otherwise i'd ring up to discuss the huge increase in price or change supplier.

what can i do about that? can they renew your gas contract without your permission?

thanks

All utilities are cowboys operating in the wild west.

Be firm!

Go ahead and change supplier anyway.

Guest joeschmo
All utilities are cowboys operating in the wild west.

Be firm!

Go ahead and change supplier anyway.

and use quidco or cashback kings to get a nice little bonus ;)

The problem is if you don't pay it, so they have to prove the debt in court. They can just got to the magistrates' court and break in and cut off your gas without having to prove you owe them any money.

Utilities are all rip-off cowboy merchants whose business model is just to lure customers to them with cheap deals then rip the profit off them later. Rinse and repeat.