House Price Crash Forum
TruraBuoy

Dubai Some Nice New Pictures

Deserts have a way of reclaiming whatever is built upon them. In the case of Dubai, the global financial implosion has sent that process into overdrive. After six years of frenzied expansion, during which the emirate's population grew at 7% annually and nearly $600 billion went into construction (the world's tallest building! the world's largest shopping mall! the biggest man-made island! an indoor ski resort!), reality has come rushing into view.

Nice slideshow

http://www.fastcompany.com/multimedia/slid...bai.html?page=1

Good post!

That shot of the wilting palm tree was especially poignant.

I lived in Dubai many years ago. I'd still like to return to be honest.

I love the picture of the "World Islands" development - what was to be a giant resort ended up being a giant wasteland with ONE structure build upon it.

I love the picture of the "World Islands" development - what was to be a giant resort ended up being a giant wasteland with ONE structure build upon it.

Even worse without constant protection the sea will simply reclaim it.

Earth 1 Humans 0.

This comes to mind.

I met a traveller from an antique land

Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone

Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,

Half sunk, a shatter'd visage lies, whose frown

And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read

Which yet survive, stamp'd on these lifeless things,

The hand that mock'd them and the heart that fed.

And on the pedestal these words appear:

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,

The lone and level sands stretch far away.

One of the slides says that someone was going to build a beach designed by Versaci. :lol:

I read several months ago that one designer development (either Armani or Versace) was going to have a refrigerated beach, i.e. under-sand cooling.

As anyone who's been there in the summer will know, you literally can't walk on the sand.

The sea's like hot soup in summer, too. Particular remember one time when it was hot jellyfish soup - chock full of minute babies, but they were so transparent you didn't realize they were there until you got dozens of tiny stings.

Never heard that before,you go to jail if you can't pay your mortgage or rent?

Yes, it's the full blown debtors prison and deep shame over there.

That's why they rush to get out and abandon the cars, have to escape before they're banged up.

Moonlight flits, run for your lives.

The picture of several migrant workers with bunk beds isn't something that just happens there. I've seen this in the UK. Many of these migrant workers coming to the UK live like this (some from choice, some because that's the way it turned out).

My neighbour had 24 people in his house. Bunk beds, 4-6 people to a room, £50/week each person... their alternative to rent somewhere else was to pay £500-600/month, in a town where the pay was all minimum wage and irregular hours.

He even had 3 in his tumbledown 10'x8' shed, with a single electrical extension running from the house to the shed and they had to go back in the house to go to the loo.

With changing HMO rules, he sold the house off, even the advert for the house mentioned the shed as living accommodation, there was no shame .... I also had friends living in garages.

Where was this hellhole? Oh, Cornwall, just 200 yards from gorgeous sandy beaches and £500k penthouses.

Edited by ScaredEitherWay