House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

Money Vs ?

Money or happiness/satisfaction etc.

As a semi continuation to the career thread , I managed to do a few conversation sessions with some Koreans , they were extremely thankful (as it only cost them the cost of the tea and a quirky English accent is rare , Koreans who speak english do so in Canadian/American accents mostly). Which gave me a strange feeling of satisfaction (I had nothing to do anyway) and perked me up a little , something I never get in the UK doing accountancy.

So question is to provoke a touch of debate is what is more important to you , money or satisfaction/happiness etc?.

I am currently pondering an insane little side project though its top secret it wont make me rich , but will give me much satisfaction.

Guest absolutezero

As a semi continuation to the career thread , I managed to do a few conversation sessions with some Koreans , they were extremely thankful (as it only cost them the cost of the tea and a quirky English accent is rare , Koreans who speak english do so in Canadian/American accents mostly). Which gave me a strange feeling of satisfaction (I had nothing to do anyway) and perked me up a little , something I never get in the UK doing accountancy.

So question is to provoke a touch of debate is what is more important to you , money or satisfaction/happiness etc?.

I am currently pondering an insane little side project though its top secret it wont make me rich , but will give me much satisfaction.

I earn enough money to live a decent life (except for housing costs) but I'm not busting a gut getting it.

I also want enough free time to call my own.

That's why I became a teacher. Decent work-life balance if you choose your subject carefully.

English teachers (or any other 'writing' subject) have my sympathy. Same pay as me and more marking. No thanks!

WRT to the side project. Think it through then do it. :)

Happiness. Confucious is supposed to have said something like:"If you find a job you love, you'll never work another day in your life" , and for me, that meant getting out of tedious office work and doing something more interesting - even though what I do now pays a fraction of what I used to earn.

I earn enough money to live a decent life (except for housing costs) but I'm not busting a gut getting it.

I also want enough free time to call my own.

That's why I became a teacher. Decent work-life balance if you choose your subject carefully.

English teachers (or any other 'writing' subject) have my sympathy. Same pay as me and more marking. No thanks!

WRT to the side project. Think it through then do it. :)

I think that there are few people who would want money in itself, but that hardly makes it trivial. Few men want a big house, they want the pretty girl, the pretty girl requires the big house and the big house requires money.

My lass would say she is not interested in money in the least, but that thought of not having a couple of foreign holidays a year, regular meals out and regular new dresses would be terrible for her.