House Price Crash Forum
laura122

Halifax Just Offered Me 5 Times Mortgage!

So am thinking of buying a property as I have a large deposit

I called Halifax and went through the application process.

I specifically told them I had 10% of asking price and they came back and said they could lend me 250K on a 50K salary

I thought this madness had stopped???

Guest Daddy Bear

I specifically told them I had 10% of asking price and they came back and said they could lend me 250K on a 50K salary

This bubble has one more inflation left.

More evidence for a "Crack up Boom"

Fine if you plan living there for a fair few years, and are confident of your employment prospects. ;)

Fine if you plan living there for a fair few years, and are confident of your employment prospects. ;)

Winkie,

Don't worry....she works in the city. If it all goes wrong again you and I can bail her company out and pay her mortgage interest too if necessary! Welcome to Brown's Britain.

I reckon in about 6 months time they will be falling over themselves to lend again.

So they are not falling over themselves to lend now?

Whoah! Don't buy into this thinking of turning a quick profit from a reinflation bubble. #1: The evidence for the market turning up is suspect, at least here in the U.S. In fact all that is talked about here is that the steep decline is lessening. #2: The downside risk for the next few years very much outweigh any upside potential. Be very careful. All I read is that the name of the game for the foreseeable future is capital preservation.

This bubble has one more inflation left.

More evidence for a "Crack up Boom"

I posted about 6 months ago that a young fella at work got 2 offers of a 6 x earnings mortgage from 2 well known High Street lenders.

Everyone on here was so pig headed saying it was impossible etc.

People with decent credit ratings are in a totally different boat than people with bad ones.

Whatever is said on here if you want a mortgage you can find one. A good FA always knows what bank or buliding society is doing the best deals.

I reckon in about 6 months time they will be falling over themselves to lend again.

Sibley, I have come to the conclusion you have no net worth....like your posts. ;):P

Whoah! Don't buy into this thinking of turning a quick profit from a reinflation bubble. #1: The evidence for the market turning up is suspect, at least here in the U.S. In fact all that is talked about here is that the steep decline is lessening. #2: The downside risk for the next few years very much outweigh any upside potential. Be very careful. All I read is that the name of the game for the foreseeable future is capital preservation.

The is a possibility that the US has a chance of rebalancing their system, however it will need the positive involvement of US corporations - doubtful, still I think.

However, you have to see to believe what a cramped, overpriced, overtaxed shithole some of this country has become. The intent is to keep it that way. Only a matter of time before capital, creativity and company flight resume at full speed.

If your job is secure and you're under about 40 (so you have plenty of working life left) paying that off only becomes a problem when interest rates are well into double figures. That leaves you vulnerable, but less so than bubble-subprime.

Are you calling 10% a large deposit? It was an absolute minimum until about 5 years ago: people had to save for years (or tap the parents)!

They are if you're a good risk.

It's only the people with bad credit ratings who are having aggro.

Same as credit cards. I know it's difficult to get one if you have black spots on your history but if you're a good customer they are trying to bolt you up big time. I've had limit raised and cheques in post last month.

Congratulations Sibley, you are getting wealthier and wealthier.

That`s OK then, there can`t be many in that situation.

Here`s an idea. Pay for stuff without a credit card, it`s cheaper.

Actaully, for me it`s cheaper to pay with a credit card, 1% cashback soon adds up.

That`s OK then, there can`t be many in that situation.

Here`s an idea. Pay for stuff without a credit card, it`s cheaper.

Actaully, for me it`s cheaper to pay with a credit card, 1% cashback soon adds up.

Like most Labour supporters Sibley doesn't actually have money of his own but is dependent upon the increasing debt mountain for his feeling of 'wealth'.

Like most Labour supporters Sibley doesn't actually have money of his own but is dependent upon the increasing debt mountain for his feeling of 'wealth'.

That`s weird, I have a feeling of "wealth", because I have no debt, and savings. I knew I must have been going wrong somewhere. Drat.

If your job is secure and you're under about 40 (so you have plenty of working life left) paying that off only becomes a problem when interest rates are well into double figures. That leaves you vulnerable, but less so than bubble-subprime.

Are you calling 10% a large deposit? It was an absolute minimum until about 5 years ago: people had to save for years (or tap the parents)!

Not so. I had a 99% mortgage in 1988. The Woolwich.

Not so. I had a 99% mortgage in 1988. The Woolwich.

Which coincidentally was 1 year before the last peak in house prices and preceeded a 5 year slump.

We are not very bright are we....It is very human to repeat the same mistakes time and again.

Well, Darling did want lending back to 2007 pre-crash mania levels so what did people expect?

We used to half-jokingly predict that this is what the banksters and NuLabour would be dumb enough to do - print money and continue the bubble at the taxpayers expense - but that's the reality.

I posted about 6 months ago that a young fella at work got 2 offers of a 6 x earnings mortgage from 2 well known High Street lenders.

People with decent credit ratings are in a totally different boat than people with bad ones.

Whatever is said on here if you want a mortgage you can find one. A good FA always knows what bank or buliding society is doing the best deals.

You are a complete prat sibley.

Same as credit cards. I know it's difficult to get one if you have black spots on your history but if you're a good customer they are trying to bolt you up big time. I've had limit raised and cheques in post last month.

so if you took a row of homeowners in a typical street, how many are good risks?

individuals can get good deals. a million people cannot. it is the amount that the average man on the high street can borrow which determines prices.

Edited by mfp123

Bingo. If you are a good risk. In other words, if they know they can get the money out of you - no matter what - they'll lend you the money. Question is, why would you give your money away to them on such a poor investment as UK housing? :)

Nomadd

Sibley, I have come to the conclusion you have no net worth....like your posts. ;):P

While I usualy find Sibley's posts on here nieve and sometimes offensive in this case I have to agree - there is credit available for low risk clients. There always has been and there always will be. I have just been offered a mortgage at 5 x my salary and loan no problem.

Edited by Neil B

It could be argued that the sensible multiple of salary to lend should increase with the borrower's salary. If you are on a low salary then a large proprtion of your income will go on necessities (food, fuel, etc). If you are on a higher salary this proprtion is less leaving more for repayments, if that is what you choose to spend your money on. Obviously not quite a simple as this because other existing commitments (e.g. family) need to be taken into account.

Edited by The Realist

To his credit these posts are better than the mindless bile he's ben spewing out lately.

You're an EA, right? You seriously think the market is going to recover?

I have a guaranteed mortgage offer from Abbey for 5 months, it is up to 3.8 x joint income. That was the absoloute highest they were willing to lend and we have a +£100k deposit to put down and immaculate credit score.