House Price Crash Forum

Tavistock

Patfig

HOLA441
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA442

We live between Callington and Tavistock, village location. School, clubs, sporting facilities vary alot. You can choose Liskeard, Launceston, Callington or Tavistock, or even those pretty little villages doted around.

Callington is not the prettiest of places but has by far the best state secondary school so best if u are in that catchment area, although Launceston has probably the best sports, leisure facilities, and has a great shopping area, and links to Bude beaches. Tavistock is over rated, and over-priced, very busy in terms of traffic and has an awful state comprehensive (check Ofsted for this info). All of the villages are lovely, just spend a few days driving around and you'll see. Bus and train links are generally very very good.

G

Edited by qazwas1

HOLA443
We live between Callington and Tavistock, village location. School, clubs, sporting facilities vary alot. You can choose Liskeard, Launceston, Callington or Tavistock, or even those pretty little villages doted around.

Callington is not the prettiest of places but has by far the best state secondary school so best if u are in that catchment area, although Launceston has probably the best sports, leisure facilities, and has a great shopping area, and links to Bude beaches. Tavistock is over rated, and over-priced, very busy in terms of traffic and has an awful state comprehensive (check Ofsted for this info). All of the villages are lovely, just spend a few days driving around and you'll see. Bus and train links are generally very very good.

G

Thanks G.

When I looked at the school league tables last, it looked like Tavistock college was the best state school in the area , and that Callington wasnt so good. The stats further west around Liskeard and Bodmin looked terrible.

Whats the swimming pool at Tavistock like?

HOLA444
Thanks G.

When I looked at the school league tables last, it looked like Tavistock college was the best state school in the area , and that Callington wasnt so good. The stats further west around Liskeard and Bodmin looked terrible.

Both Launc and Tavy have active swimming clubs with decent pools/parks/meadows. Callington has no pool and not the best lesisure centre compared to the others.

If you can download, look at the recent Ofsted reports for all 4 of those towns mentioned.

If I were in your shoes I would choose a place in that Tavy, Launceston, Callington triangle. There are many beautiful little hamlets and villages around with good primary schools and good links.

If u need any specific/private help please message me and I'll help.

G

HOLA445
Both Launc and Tavy have active swimming clubs with decent pools/parks/meadows. Callington has no pool and not the best lesisure centre compared to the others.

If you can download, look at the recent Ofsted reports for all 4 of those towns mentioned.

If I were in your shoes I would choose a place in that Tavy, Launceston, Callington triangle. There are many beautiful little hamlets and villages around with good primary schools and good links.

If u need any specific/private help please message me and I'll help.

G

Thanks G, I guess one thing I would ask is, within that Launceston/Tavy/Cally triangle, would there be anywhere you would avoid??

HOLA446
Thanks G, I guess one thing I would ask is, within that Launceston/Tavy/Cally triangle, would there be anywhere you would avoid??

Mmmmm, choose your neighbours well, and beware buying deep in valleys due to drainage issues. Gunnislake centre is perhaps the worse (due to the pubs etc) but on the outskirts it can be very nice. What price bracket are you looking for?

HOLA447
Mmmmm, choose your neighbours well, and beware buying deep in valleys due to drainage issues. Gunnislake centre is perhaps the worse (due to the pubs etc) but on the outskirts it can be very nice. What price bracket are you looking for?

Thanks Gaz, rental only for us and a good primary school, maybe HarrowBarrow or Stoke Climsland??

HOLA448
HOLA449

Beware of odd looking folk with banjos.

Also always look before you walk out the back door in case your garden has become a 300ft deep hole in the night.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4410
Thanks G.

Tavy has two pools open to the public. I prefer the river: there are some lovely spots.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Very little flooding: the rivers are too small. Well, except the Tamar. Down there the older cottages are built to be flooded from time to time, with things like flagstone floors that take no damage from a bit of water on the ground floor. But I don't think any of those are family-sized.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4413

Hi Porca,

I wasn't referring to rivers but to run-off after heavy rain. A friend of mine brought in the summer but when winter came he realised that all those farm fields that overlooked his converted barn channelled water though his garden/garage. Just a thought!

G

btw, what have you done now Patfig? Found a place or?

Edited by qazwas1