House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest KingCharles1st

If You Inherited 100k, Would You "do A Sally?"

Guest KingCharles1st

As per the link on the HPC front page to the article in The Mail.

please be aware, there is a word with "etz" at the end contained in this article- look away now if you are easily offended

"When Sally Brown, from Warwickshire, inherited a lump sum she was faced with a quandary. Interest rates were down, stocks and shares a risky business and gilts volatile."

All I can deduce from this, was that Sally came from a reasonably well off family, she had no actual need for the money, and obviously already had a place, otherwise she would be looking to place that money int a property for herself to live in.

So did she do the right thing? Sounds like a pretend prof. landlord.

Edited by KingCharles1st

Somebody has to buy to make the dead cat bounce.

'Instead, the return of buyers and the limited availability of housing on the market could

be enough to support prices. It wouldn't be surprising to actually see prices increase further from

here in the short term.'

Slight price increases in low volume market -> dead cat bounce.

At least she didn't get a buytoilet mortgage.

Guest happy?
As per the link on the HPC front page to the article in The Mail.

please be aware, there is a word with "etz" at the end contained in this article- look away now if you are easily offended

"When Sally Brown, from Warwickshire, inherited a lump sum she was faced with a quandary. Interest rates were down, stocks and shares a risky business and gilts volatile."

All I can deduce from this, was that Sally came from a reasonably well off family, she had no actual need for the money, and obviously already had a place, otherwise she would be looking to place that money int a property for herself to live in.

So did she do the right thing? Sounds like a pretend prof. landlord.

I think I'd p1ss it up against the wall - cut-out the middle man.

Can someone explain how this is 'cashing-in' - it passeth my understanding.

Some good comments below. As advised in comment #1, this is the model I use and it works.

So there are a few of us out there with sense, unfortunately Sally isn't one of them.

Some good comments below. As advised in comment #1, this is the model I use and it works.

So there are a few of us out there with sense, unfortunately Sally isn't one of them.

Comment #1 is from HPC favourite woman with weird hair, Vanessa Warwick.

About a 7% return after costs including handing over letting and rent collection to an agency. Probably only get 5% for giving up access to capital in the same way

with a bond and the tax breaks would help BTL as well.

Is it 7%? It says she lets it for 550-570 a month, but it fails to note whether thats a 12 or 9 month rent

The main point about student lets is if you don't get someone in for the next academic year you're basically stuffed, whereas with a non student let you can let all year round

That said, she didn't get that bad a deal, and seeing as it's in cash, not really a problem

Hmm

Student numbers have gone up 30% since X, therefore by X 100% of the population will be students and she'll be guaranteed to be able to let the property as there'll be a genuine shortage of ....

Where have I seen this "it always went up in the past so it always will in future" logic before?

Poor Sally has limited imagination. Inherited how much? At least 72K? And she bought PROPERTY? Aargh. Spend it on a trip around the world - several times over - travel - don't work - make pots - write a novel - whatever - do the things you have always wanted to do if you only had the cash. What's wrong wth people...

please be aware, there is a word with "etz" at the end contained in this article- look away now if you are easily offended[/url]

Ugh, it was even worse than the Hyundai Getz

Edited by gusset