House Price Crash Forum

The Thread For Non Stupid People

Bob8

HOLA441
HOLA442
I'm a leftie too but I relish doing battle with the fascists and little-Englanders!
...but I'm no supporter of New labour as it stands now, in its decaying slide to democratic despotism!

I am sceptical about the climate change hoohaa though.

What we have is 1) an observed statistical correlation between global annual average air temperatures and human-caused CO2 emissions between about 1975 and 2000, with a less marked correlation since then. And 2) a generally accepted scientific theory about how pumping more and more CO2 into the atmosphere would increase the greenhouse effect, leading to global warming. I don't think anyone disputes these two facts. But I can't see how they can separate any possible natural climate trends from suspected human-induced ones, since the trend is in line with what has happened many times in the past few thousand years.

HOLA443
After all, the super intelligent guys at CERN have been working on it for a good few years - and they haven't come up with any consistent way of how the universe works yet.

Don't forget that the stupid guys at the CERN invented the world wide web

True they haven't found out yet how the universe works but at least they are trying instead of doing nothing

HOLA444
Don't forget that the stupid guys at the CERN invented the world wide web

True they haven't found out yet how the universe works but at least they are trying instead of doing nothing

...and long may their efforts continue.

I was really disappointed when the supercons in the LHC quenched, but I hear they will be back on line soon and a new beam test will be starting shortly.

HOLA445
...but I'm no supporter of New labour as it stands now, in its decaying slide to democratic despotism!

I am sceptical about the climate change hoohaa though.

What we have is 1) an observed statistical correlation between global annual average air temperatures and human-caused CO2 emissions between about 1975 and 2000, with a less marked correlation since then. And 2) a generally accepted scientific theory about how pumping more and more CO2 into the atmosphere would increase the greenhouse effect, leading to global warming. But I can't see how they can separate any possible natural climate trends from suspected human-induced ones, since the trend is in line with what has happened many times in the past few thousand years.

In cases such as climate change where it is impossible to prove or disprove the theory then I think the the sensible approach is to look at the possible consequences of doing nothing and doing something. If climate change is due to our activities and we do nothing then we are could be in real trouble eventually. Because of this I'm inclined to action based on the theory even if the theory is not proven because these actions won't make the situation worse.

It's like taking exercise. It may not legthen your life but it is most unlikely to shorten it (as long as you don't take up dangerous sports!).

HOLA446

Clever people can be completely devoid of any common sense...I used to work in the IT department of a company who used to deal with Sonar. They employed a large number of "clever" people...Many had PhDs and dealt with algorithms and wotnot. A colleague of mine who was manning the phones in the office, rung one of these boffins regarding an issue with their PC. It took a couple of minutes to say his name...

Regarding global warming..if it is to a reaction to the human race pumping shite into the atmosphere (others say that the heating of the Earth is just part of a natural cycle) then the only way a mass group of people will change their habits, is if it personally effects them. If it effects someone 3000 miles away, then they wont give a monkeys.

HOLA447
I'm a leftie too but I relish doing battle with the fascists and little-Englanders!

Lol, that term is so yesterday 'Little-Englander'. Didn't you know that? It was used by the pro-Euro lobby (typically thick lefties) to stifle debate on the Euro. It's closely related to the words 'nazi' and 'racist'.

God! Why are left wing people so dreadful - and DUMB.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Suspect that would fly right over his head. Probably can't wait to join the EU and have another layer of Government ordering him about. Still, what can you expect from people who can't spell facist :rolleyes:

That is odd.

How do you spell fascist? :blink:

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
My opinion is there is no such thing as certainty, only probability.

I believe, for example, that the moon landings took place (probably greater than 95%). But the idea that they didn't take place is not, IMO, wholly implausible.

Similarly with religion. If we have no consistent theory for how the universe started (and many leading theorists argue that it will be impossible to ever know) how do we know that it was not started by a super intelligence ? I think it's improbable, but not impossible that this is the case.

To people who say there is no god, I say, maybe they have a better theory ? After all, the super intelligent guys at CERN have been working on it for a good few years - and they haven't come up with any consistent way of how the universe works yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Guest AuntJess
D23 I can manage. Perfectionist, please no.

I feel fairly sure that, somewhere in a secure unit, he is sitting in his correction chair, which they strap him in to stop him masturbating. He's already had two eye transplants due to going blind. :rolleyes:

HOLA4420

Archived