House Price Crash Forum

Blog Of An Unemployed Middle Aged Man

HOLA441
Realistically I’d not expected to walk straight out of my previous career and straight into a new one, there is, after all, the mother of all recessions buffeting at the very foundations of business, and retail probably more than any as the countries spending habits wither on the vine in the face of a perfect storm of credit withdrawal, job uncertainties, and property value retraction (the source of many people’s erroneous feeling of “wealthâ€).

[...]

But the truth is there’s no action. None on the writing, none on the stalled sales career. After three months it’s time to start considering a Plan B, and maybe even a C, a D, and an E as well.

The time has come to fall back and regroup.

Looking at the pluses of my situation, years of prudent financial management mean I own everything I have outright, and my outgoings are genuinely minimal. I can think of nowhere I could be reducing fixed costs, fiscally I’m as lean and fit as the proverbial butchers dog. I’m in the fortunate position that any full time minimum wage job will sustain me, even a part time one if enough hours (or supplemented by another part time job).

The solution is simple. I need to drop the specifics in job hunting. I need to go for anything. For any income. Part time, full time, anything I can do. I’ll go and collect trolleys at the local Sainsburys if I have to, stack the shelves at midnight.

It’s time to set to and balance the books, get an income stream bringing more in than is going out, however meagre that stream may be.

It’s time to stop looking a career, for now at least, and starting looking for a job.

Quite instructive for all the blowhards on here ;)

http://charliecroker.wordpress.com/

Edited by Neverland

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Sounds like a very sensible bloke to me. He embodies the answer to every question I ever get about why I am anti mortgage and plan to buy outright for cash.

Yes, my conclusions:

- he is one of many and most of them have mortgages

- he isnt going to be spending much to prop up the economy anytime soon

- he will probably never regain his previous income

Ergo:

- no quick recovery

- no inflation

- forced house price sales

- lower house prices

HOLA447
HOLA448
= career over.

I've been following this quite closely too since it was first mooted on here, and you could well be right.

I guess his only consolation is that he did the right thing with the cash whilst he was earning plenty of it rather than trying to prop up a pseudo successful lifestyle and spending like Beckam.

It will be interesting to see how this one pans out, he seems to be a tryer, but it's not doing him much good so far.

Edited by Willit

HOLA449

FIXED FOR CURRENT UK Nulabour CAREER EXEC

Realistically I’d not expected to lose my previous career there is, after all, the mother of all recoverehs at the very foundations of business, and retail probably more than any as the countries spending habits meant a 1.6% increase in sales with credit up, job oppportunities, and property value increases (the source of many people’s erroneous feeling of “wealthâ€).

[...]

But the truth is there’s no action, I am applying for my level..I am entitled to a similar job. forget the writing, forget the stalled sales career. After three months it’s time to start considering a Plan B, and maybe even a C, a D, and an E as well.

The time has come to fall back and regroup.

Looking at the pluses of my situation, years of no financial management whatsoever mean I own nothing I have outright, and my outgoings are genuinely frightening. I can think of nowhere I could be reducing fixed costs, fiscally I’m as bloated and fit as the proverbial American housewife. I’m in the fortunate position that any full time banking job will sustain me, even a part time one if enough bonuses (or supplemented by benefits).

The solution is simple. Ive written to my MP and complained there are not enough banking executive jobs

It’s time to set to and balance the books, get an income stream bringing more in than is going out, however huge that stream may be.

It’s time to stop looking a career, for now at least, and starting looking for a trough to suckle from.

HOLA4410
I've been following this quite closely too since it was first mooted on here, and you could well be right.

I guess his only consolation is that he did the right thing with the cash whilst he was earning plenty of it rather than trying to prop up a pseudo successful lifestyle and spending like Beckam.

It will be interesting to see how this one pans out, he seems to be a tryer, but it's not doing him much good so far.

yes, someone posted something from the NY Times on what happens to earnrngs after a job loss with examples of real people a while ago - very salutory

The lesson I took from it is you need to be debt free as soon as possible and have YEARS of spending in savings not months ;)

I can see how it turns out - minimum wage

Edited by Neverland

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Did this chap used to be an EA?

(I've seen him post on "Secret Agent").

Are you sure? Secret agent is someone completely different who is an EA.

Reaping the Benefits is a former car salesman. Mind you, I think they both write in a similar style (first person, present tense).

Edit to say: sorry, I'm talking crud here, he was applying for car sales jobs. Doh!

:wacko:

Double edit to say that his first post doesn't say what job he did apart from it being in sales. But later on he does talk about applying for estate agency positions, so I guess he was an EA.

Edited by NotMyHouse

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417