House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Can You Eat That Stalk?

In Tesco Express just now.

6 salad tomatoes 92p

or 5 tomatoes the same size and colour on the vine at £2.07

I'm a gardener.

Can you eat that stalk that costs £1+?

And why are people buying this on the vine nonsense at £2.07?

And don't tell me the tomatoes are better, because I know all about tomato varietes. I'm growing Cerise, Roma, Gardeners Delight and a couple of others at the moment.

Why are people just throwing their money away?

rant over

6 salad tomatoes 92p

I'm a gardener.

And don't tell me the tomatoes are better, because I know all about tomato varietes. I'm growing Cerise, Roma, Gardeners Delight and a couple of others at the moment.

rant over

For the same reason they throw it away on everything else,they are gormless.We have a thing in the car trade we call "Punter mentality".An example : I offered a car to the brother of a friend for £3,000.He said no,I want a better one than that at £3k it can't be any good. I sold it to another dealer nearby and he put it on sale at £4,995.When I saw the brother he said "My brother got a car from so and so"...you can guess the rest.

6 salad tomatoes 92p

I'm a gardener.

rant over

I don't shop at Tesco's (2 Asdas within 5 minute drive) so can't comment on their toms.

However, must say I've found that Asda's bog-standard 'salad' toms are paler, more watery and just not as tomato-ey-tasting as the more expensive ones that usually come 'on the vine'. I'd certainly buy the cheaper ones if they were as nice, but they're not.

This is not my imagination - we eat a lot of tomatoes in this house and I do grow my own but don't have room for many plants - just 2 very prolific Tumblers this year.

Guest theboltonfury

6 salad tomatoes 92p

I'm a gardener.

rant over

I hate to disagree with a man of your considerable status, but...

Regardless of price, the vine ripened tomatoes taste ok. The packets of salad ones, to me, taste of absolutley nothing.

I'd pay the difference as I see a difference. Nothing beats a greenhouse tom, or better still one grown in a suitable climate.

Guest Daddy Bear

I like the way they look - 6 on their own in a packet look like red eggs - v cheap, and vulgar. When you buy them on the vine you get a sense of getting back to nature like you have just picked them. also it is very satisfying taking them off the vine. Its like you have gone out and picked them and not just bought 6 pre picked tomatoes.

Have you also notice the "viney" aroma as well - totally adds to the sensation.

Definitely worth the extra £1.15 for the 'experience'.

I mean christ - its only £1.15 - its not as if thats worth very much these days......

Guest skullingtonjoe
I like the way they look - 6 on their own in a packet look like red eggs - v cheap, and vulgar. When you buy them on the vine you get a sense of getting back to nature like you have just picked them. also it is very satisfying taking them off the vine. Its like you have gone out and picked them and not just bought 6 pre picked tomatoes.

Have you also notice the "viney" aroma as well - totally adds to the sensation.

Definitely worth the extra £1.15 for the 'experience'.

I mean christ - its only £1.15 - its not as if thats worth very much these days......

Not so, sir.

Look after the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves...

People have forgotten all the wise sayings...for example - `you can`t keddle on three legs of a chair`! <_<

Also, if you shop in the evenings you've got more than a 50 per cent chance of buying the vine ones greatly reduced. They have a shorter shelf life the others, but always seem better over their sell by date.

Guest Daddy Bear
Not so, sir.

People have forgotten all the wise sayings...for example - `you can`t keddle on three legs of a chair`! <_<

It's funny - I was always brought up to believe:

"look after the pounds and the pennies will be taken care of by inflation" :P

Mind my above post was a joke...tongue in cheek. my humour is lost on people here.

In all truthfulness if you want bloody vine tomatoes grow them yourself. Alot more satisfying.

Guest skullingtonjoe
It's funny - I was always broiught up to believe:

"Concentrate on the pounds - don't waste your time and energy thinking about the pennies as they will be eaten away by inflation"

Mind my above post was a joke...tongue in cheek. my humour is lost on people here.

In all truthfulness if you want bloody vine tomatoes grow them yourself. Alot more satisfying.

Sorry, I was only repeating the mantra that were drummed into me when I were a lad back inthe 1970s.

Time was in those days you`d be thankful if you got an orange and a lump of coal in your Xmas stocking! :rolleyes:

Guest Daddy Bear
Sorry, I was only repeating the mantra that were drummed into me when I were a lad back inthe 1970s.

Time was in those days you`d be thankful if you got an orange and a lump of coal in your Xmas stocking! :rolleyes:

Mind.. I did not mean you... as in "if you want bloody tomatoes".... no offence intended.

Makes me laugh when people say this depression will be like 1930's - walk around and take a look in a supermarket - like locusts ...

Guest skullingtonjoe
Mind.. I did not mean you... as in "if you want bloody tomatoes".... no offence intended.

Makes me laugh when people say this depression will be like 1930's - walk around and take a look in a supermarket - like locusts ...

It will be interesting to see if people do indeed start to `dig for victory` if global food shortages turn out as predicted. Knowing what people are like - they`ll be `too busy` to try growing anything - expect to see demand for `Soylent Green` rocket. :unsure:

Not so, sir.

People have forgotten all the wise sayings...

How very true that is.

I'd trying keddling, if I knew what it was.

6 salad tomatoes 92p

I'm a gardener.

rant over

You grow them, you know its not about size and colour - different varieties taste different. The cheap stuff isn't the same as the expensive stuff. If they tasted as good I'd buy them. The vine is a side issue, irrelevant because as you correctly say, we don't eat it.

Guest skullingtonjoe
How very true that is.

I'd trying keddling, if I knew what it was.

There has been much vexed debate over the `keddling` issue (I got a ticking-off from Jimothy over this).

You know how, at school, you`d invariably end up balancing on the back two legs of the metal-tube-plastic-seated chairs with the `fart hole` in the back (we`re talking early `80s here). One teacher told people to `stop coggling` on the chairs.

I raised this as I was interested to see if anyone had heard of this on this forum. One poster replied that he`d been told to `stop keddling` when balancing on the rear two legs of a chair at home; he attributed this to his mother`s Lancastrian roots. As the teacher in question was a Yorkshireman, I can only assume that the etymology of this practice has roots in the north of England.

As we may see women`s boxing - alas not mud wrestling - in the Olympics, why not have `keddling` as an event? this term has not been submitted to the Oxford English Dictionary, and I may well moot the term, although knowing Oxford the way I do, they`ll want to take credit for `discovering` the word. I am not interested in any such perceived glory; I am interested in avoiding the political wrangling that will take place once OUP start debating the word. Having worked on web projects within Oxford I know how the university works and it is tedious!)

It`s good to see that Humbul is no more and is now Intuite. The atmosphere in Oxford University Computing Service (Humanities) was a nightmare. Especially having to work with Mike `Freaky` Fraser! :(

Its like you have gone out and picked them and not just bought 6 pre picked tomatoes.

I appreciate the joke, but it reminds me of a bit of marketing psychology from the '60's.

In the USA sales of Betty Crocker Cake Mix were collapsing, despite it requiring the busy housewife do nothing but bake it.

That was the problem, the marketing boys decided.

Housewives felt guilty about giving their families food that they'd had no part in creating. .

The solution was 'Just Add an Egg!' to the packet of mix. In whisking the egg in, the maker would feel she (invariably 'she') was putting part of herself into her family's well-being. Cooking properly for them, just like her own mother.

'Just Add an Egg' went on whole product lines.

Sales rocketed.

Daddy Bear, there's a hunter-gatherer coming out in you, as you pick a tomato off the vine and hand to your partner....

Also, if you shop in the evenings you've got more than a 50 per cent chance of buying the vine ones greatly reduced. They have a shorter shelf life the others, but always seem better over their sell by date.

My kinda guy; my kinda thinking; my kinda tightness...

Guest skullingtonjoe
I appreciate the joke, but it reminds me of a bit of marketing psychology from the '60's.

In the USA sales of Betty Crocker Cake Mix were collapsing, despite it requiring the busy housewife do nothing but bake it.

Housewives felt guilty about giving their families food that they'd had no part in creating. .

The solution was 'Just Add an Egg!' to the packet of mix. In whisking the egg in, the maker would feel she (invariably 'she') was putting part of herself into her family's well-being. Cooking properly for them, just like her own mother.

Sales rocketed.

Daddy Bear, there's a hunter-gatherer coming out in you, as you pick a tomato off the vine and hand to your partner....

I blame the likes of professional smarmarian Lloyd Grossman and quaint-master Rick Stein. That **** Grossman would always smugly float around in an oh-so-ciabatta manner of middle-class judgement. That was the start of the `political correctness` crap; Rick Stein just makes everything seem so `twee` with his rose-tinted view of the world (you should have seen him last night on BBC2 - he was talking about some roasted pig being taken to a restaurant as an `almost religious` passage). I hope he never does anything on native American cooking - he`ll probably start prattling on about shape-shifting and finding his `spirit guide` :rolleyes:

As usual, it`s not the product, it`s the packaging - this is the most important thing. Forget whether or not it is any good (although if you put tomato sauce on shit, it is still shit). This topic came up in the recent past - people buy shiny products because they are shiny, packaged in a way that is almost irresistible. Go on, buy me! Worry about silly little details like money later - after all you`ve got your flexible friend!

Sigh....

I blame the likes of professional smarmarian Lloyd Grossman and quaint-master Rick Stein. That **** Grossman would always smugly float around in an oh-so-ciabatta manner of middle-class judgement. That was the start of the `political correctness` crap; Rick Stein just makes everything seem so `twee` with his rose-tinted view of the world (you should have seen him last night on BBC2 - he was talking about some roasted pig being taken to a restaurant as an `almost religious` passage). I hope he never does anything on native American cooking - he`ll probably start prattling on about shape-shifting and finding his `spirit guide` :rolleyes:

As usual, it`s not the product, it`s the packaging - this is the most important thing. Forget whether or not it is any good (although if you put tomato sauce on shit, it is still shit). This topic came up in the recent past - people buy shiny products because they are shiny, packaged in a way that is almost irresistible. Go on, buy me! Worry about silly little details like money later - after all you`ve got your flexible friend!

Sigh....

:lol::lol:

Great post. Grossman and Stein rightly nailed to the wall. I'd like to see a 6lb Padstow lobster with Rick Stein's nadgers in its grip - he know what a 'religious experience' was then, alright...

Sales rocketed.

It's cheaper than therapy...

Don't get me going on so-called 'retail therapy'...

There was a prog on R4 this morning about the eager emerging Chinese middle classes being taught 'how to be consumers' of high-end Western products...

They can't wait to get their wallets out..

Not so, sir.

I do like your style. Keep it up and it may soon creep into the nations vocabulary. ;)