Scotland's Housing Market Has Turned !

ccc

HOLA441
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Has Scotlands housing market turned? Here's a tenement in a pretty rubbish area thats actually been sold:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...y-25826822.html

Oh no what a minute, whats this we find here:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...y-26739728.html

Whats the f*cking point in that!?

I probably should mention I'm not really considering buying in G32, but I am keeping an eye on the price of 2 bed tenements throughout the city.

HOLA443
Has Scotlands housing market turned? Here's a tenement in a pretty rubbish area thats actually been sold:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...y-25826822.html

Oh no what a minute, whats this we find here:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...y-26739728.html

Whats the f*cking point in that!?

Could it have been one of those Sold-oh-no-we-haven't-got-the-money-sorted-afterall pwoperdees? Maybe EA's have got wind of propertybee capturing the history on a sale. My favourite so far is a Clarkston Clyde property. "Sold after 9 days at closing date" they proudly boasted, now back on the listings and gathering dust...

HOLA444

I'm seeing some things that have sat around for ages suddenly go to "under offer" or "sold STC", and some that have just come on sell very fast recently, here in the south. So it does look like, at least for the moment, some of the stagnation has gone.

I doubt it'll last long though. A bit of panic from people who believe the hype, and a few people around who can actually get mortgages and have a deposit (or a handy bank of Mum and Dad). As soon as sellers believe things are moving again, I can imagine a huge load of properties coming on. And ultimately, there are still a hell of a lot going to auction at half the "market price" and not selling. I just don't think there's really a level of demand to cope with that at current prices.

HOLA445

This wont add anything of worth to this thread... but on my 1.5-hour commute into work, I was thinking how ridiculous it is that I'm on more money than some friends' parents who live in houses now, yet I can't 'afford' a one-bed flat. Getting ever more tired of the commute in for this job with decent money - what's the point if I can get nothing with it? Why not just get a job closer to home and take a large pay cut.. at least I'll have more time to myself. The whole situation is preposterous.

HOLA446
This wont add anything of worth to this thread... but on my 1.5-hour commute into work, I was thinking how ridiculous it is that I'm on more money than some friends' parents who live in houses now, yet I can't 'afford' a one-bed flat. Getting ever more tired of the commute in for this job with decent money - what's the point if I can get nothing with it? Why not just get a job closer to home and take a large pay cut.. at least I'll have more time to myself. The whole situation is preposterous.

Why don't you just rent a flat in the city then? OK, so the amount you'll be putting into your savings each month will be reduced, but you'll have a much better quality of life.

I know full well I'd have a deposit saved up sooner if I moved back home. However I am in fact about to move to a flat which is going to cost me more to rent than the one I'm in just now. Sounds crazy but if you ask me life isn't all about how much you can stuff away from each months paycheck.

I know for a fact I'd be miserable if I was back at home, and I know that the next twelve months in the flat I'm moving too will be good. If it means I takes an extra six months before I have a big enough deposit to buy somewhere then so be it. Its hardly the end of the world after all.

HOLA447

I totally understand where you're coming from - I don't mind spending money for a little bit of fun. But I couldn't bring myself to shell out hundreds a month on a flat when I might lose my job soon and when this is possibly the only time in my life I'll be able to do this (new baby on the way at home, place becoming overcrowded, so have to move out at some point when I do get a secure job). My family have never had much money and now that I'm getting some I feel I must sacrifice quality of life in order to save it while I can - no fall backs in the form of rich parents like some of my friends. I'm saving around £1k a month - I reckon if I rented closer to work I wouldn't save even half of that!

HOLA448
I totally understand where you're coming from - I don't mind spending money for a little bit of fun. But I couldn't bring myself to shell out hundreds a month on a flat when I might lose my job soon and when this is possibly the only time in my life I'll be able to do this (new baby on the way at home, place becoming overcrowded, so have to move out at some point when I do get a secure job). My family have never had much money and now that I'm getting some I feel I must sacrifice quality of life in order to save it while I can - no fall backs in the form of rich parents like some of my friends. I'm saving around £1k a month - I reckon if I rented closer to work I wouldn't save even half of that!

Yeah I guess I'm quite fortunate that my job is about as secure as its possible to be these days, I probably wouldn't be signing up for a twelve month lease if I was in your position.

Your saving figures are probably about right too. I'm just lucky that I'll be buying in Glasgow - I fully appreciate its a different story through in Edinburgh.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Secure job - may I enquire as to what it is? :)

I work as a Software Developer for an engineering firm. Many on here might assume it sounds an insecure post, however I believe my job to be about as secure as its possible to have in the current climate.

That's mainly due to the fact the company I work for is profitable and expanding (organically and inorganically). My own section is looking at a doubling of our workload in the next 1-5 years which is obviously comforting to myself and my colleagues.

Of course I've learned never to take anything for granted. If the worst were to happen I reckon that my five years IT industry experience would ensure I found something else relatively quickly. Probably wouldn't be as secure as what I've got right now, but hopefully it'd be enough to pay the bills.

I've got a chance of a new job in electronics but fear it may be the same as what I want to get away from - police still sounds attractive to me, and much more stable than engineering.

Hmmm. Its an interesting dilemma. I mean on the one hand you have an electronics industry which is appears to be on its last legs on Scotland. My current flatmate worked for Freescale in EK so he knows all about that! However as someone who studied Electronic and Software Engineering I can understand the desire to get a job in that field. I'd hate to be working in anything else than IT, except maybe teaching (maybe thats another option for you to consider).

Mind you, another friend of mine who was recently made redundant has just started working for the Police. Nothing too fancy - just a temporary contract on the admin side of things. However they've already intimated to him they want to create a permament post, which if he plays his cards right might just lead to the now-mythical "job for life".

Edited by Jie Bie

HOLA4411
I work as a Software Developer for an engineering firm. Many on here might assume it sounds an insecure post, however I believe my job to be about as secure as its possible to have in the current climate.

That's mainly due to the fact the company I work for is profitable and expanding (organically and inorganically). My own section is looking at a doubling of our workload in the next 1-5 years which is obviously comforting to myself and my colleagues.

Of course I've learned never to take anything for granted. If the worst were to happen I reckon that my five years IT industry experience would ensure I found something else relatively quickly. Probably wouldn't be as secure as what I've got right now, but hopefully it'd be enough to pay the bills.

Hmmm. Its an interesting dilemma. I mean on the one hand you have an electronics industry which is appears to be on its last legs on Scotland. My current flatmate worked for Freescale in EK so he knows all about that! However as someone who studied Electronic and Software Engineering I can understand the desire to get a job in that field. I'd hate to be working in anything else than IT, except maybe teaching (maybe thats another option for you to consider).

Mind you, another friend of mine who was recently made redundant has just started working for the Police. Nothing too fancy - just a temporary contract on the admin side of things. However they've already intimated to him they want to create a permament post, which if he plays his cards right might just lead to the now-mythical "job for life".

:o

Maybe you should have a gander at the following forum. Don't post on it myself. Full of bawzacks. However lots of info on the IT market in general. Not looking too great in the short or long term IMO.

Contractor IT Forum

HOLA4412
:o

Maybe you should have a gander at the following forum. Don't post on it myself. Full of bawzacks. However lots of info on the IT market in general. Not looking too great in the short or long term IMO.

Contractor IT Forum

I know where you are coming from. However even in downturns there is always contract work available to those that have sufficiently diverse skill sets. It won't pay as much as it would during the boom times, but it would certainly be enough to keep going.

Then again, maybe I'm just a hopeless optimist! :lol:

HOLA4413
I know where you are coming from. However even in downturns there is always contract work available to those that have sufficiently diverse skill sets. It won't pay as much as it would during the boom times, but it would certainly be enough to keep going.

Then again, maybe I'm just a hopeless optimist! :lol:

Indeed. ****** knows. Squirrel away the cash whilst you can. That is my plan anyway.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
"Full of bawzacks"

'scuse me? What's a bawzack?

I believe the poster was saying the IT forum is full of scrotums. (Bawzack - derived from ball sack)

Funny looking things aren't they: as someone once said, when did a woman ever compliment you on an attractive scrotum?

"spolling"

Edited by pyracantha

HOLA4416
I believe the poster was saying the IT forum is full of scrotums. (Bawzack - derived from ball sack)

Funny looking things aren't they: as someone once said, when did a woman ever compliment you on an attractive scrotum?

"spolling"

Thanks for saving me the hassle.

We already know that TTD is probably an EA - we can now safely conclude that TTD is not a Jock. :lol:

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Watch out, Crufts.....

You are giving your lot a bad name. Now get out there, buy a convertible peugeot, spike up your hair and start talking about kerb appeal like a real EA.

;)

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
You are giving your lot a bad name. Now get out there, buy a convertible peugeot, spike up your hair and start talking about kerb appeal like a real EA.

Kerb appeal? Is that what you say when you stop in Sandport Street...?

HOLA4425