House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Council Flat Rent In London

Watching this thing last night about wealthy families giving money to poor ones - not usually my cup of tea but did so in the name of household harmony.

Anyway, at one point the parents of the family in the Council flat were looking at the price of private rented accommodation outside London. One house they saw was listed at £525 a month whereupon the mum mentioned that it was less than what they were paying to the council for their flat on some sh1tty sink estate.

Is this true? Can't be, surely?

Watching this thing last night about wealthy families giving money to poor ones - not usually my cup of tea but did so in the name of household harmony.

Anyway, at one point the parents of the family in the Council flat were looking at the price of private rented accommodation outside London. One house they saw was listed at £525 a month whereupon the mum mentioned that it was less than what they were paying to the council for their flat on some sh1tty sink estate.

Is this true? Can't be, surely?

Difficult to rent anywhere with three bedrooms privately in London for <1,300, even on a shitty sink estate, so proportionately it sounds about right for council rent. Glad to see they got out!

I have a friend just outside London who rents a 4-bed council house on an OK estate for about £375/month.

These programmes never give you the facts. The family were in debt and at one point they'd had Housing Benefit reassessed and they were paying double she said.... who knows, maybe she's currently paying off arrears.

I have a friend just outside London who rents a 4-bed council house on an OK estate for about £375/month.

These programmes never give you the facts. The family were in debt and at one point they'd had Housing Benefit reassessed and they were paying double she said.... who knows, maybe she's currently paying off arrears.

I didn't see all of this program but it was good to hear that the family got out of the dump they were living in the did seem like a fairly genuine case of needing a bit of help.

But I was intrigued by their TV situation. Like all working class families they had the most ridiculously oversized TV available, but what was the deal with the meter on it? Was that purely for power? or is it some deal that they don't buy the tv outright but pay whenever they use it?

I didn't see all of this program but it was good to hear that the family got out of the dump they were living in the did seem like a fairly genuine case of needing a bit of help.

But I was intrigued by their TV situation. Like all working class families they had the most ridiculously oversized TV available, but what was the deal with the meter on it? Was that purely for power? or is it some deal that they don't buy the tv outright but pay whenever they use it?

Slot meter TV's can indeed be obtained for 'rental' by the unemployed who have too poor a credit history for normal rental. An example can be found at the bottom of this page: http://www.tvrentals.co.uk/televisions.php. Everything that poor family owned was attached to a coin meter of some description. In the case of the TV can't help thinking it was actually a good thing however. The family interacted very positively and actually seemed to get along - evidence of winter evenings spent without the pound coin to light up that week's strictly-come-food process my brains on ice-celebrity talent charity marathon special.

Kids seemed switched on and wanted better lives, boy working paper rounds 7 days a week, girl wanted to go to University. All the family interacted very well and the father did some minimum-wage job which involved him starting work at 4am. Mother looking for a job. Altogether I thought they were very deserving of some extra help. He's got a job on a campsite as a warden now, bet he works his a**e off and is a campsite manager within a couple of years.