House Price Crash Forum

Thinking Of Buying A House In France

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, and another thing that comes to mind, is trust me, after a while, physically your mouth (NOT to forget your mind) will get fed up of trying to speak another language which is NOT your own 100% of the time (again, it's a MAJOR uphill struggle to command any 2nd language to anywhere near the command of your own native tongue - trust me, I know, I speak 4 and none of them can match my English because I haven't spent my lifetime learning the others).

I really enjoy more speaking in English than in my native language. I also enjoy more speaking italian (when in Italy) than my native language.

For some reason I do not fully understand I hate speaking in French (I did not like my French teacher at school).

I spoke awesome French (and I mean awesome)

Nope. You could mimic a French accent. I can teach a parrot to do the same ;)

By your own admission, you failed to grasp the main tenets of the language, it's nuances , relevance to its culture, it's slang etc.

My French accent is acceptable but still sounds "foreign" to every French person I meet.

Unlike you, I can watch tv, read the broadsheets, talk, laugh at French humour (yes, it exists ! ) et al.

I only NEED to speak English when a Brit tourist asks me for help in the local Carrefour....... ;)

By your own admission, you failed to grasp the main tenets of the language, it's nuances , relevance to its culture, it's slang etc.

My French accent is acceptable but still sounds "foreign" to every French person I meet.

Unlike you, I can watch tv, read the broadsheets, talk, laugh at French humour (yes, it exists ! ) et al.

I only NEED to speak English when a Brit tourist asks me for help in the local Carrefour....... ;)

I think you need to brush up on your English, I didn't say I couldn't do any of those things (I said just not as good as I'd have liked).

And maybe your standards are a lot lower than mine. Sorry, no 'maybe'.

Edited by BigLog
Why bother with the accent?

The French (usually) adore good French spoken with a bbc accent.

I agree, after all you don't expect someone from... Wigan... say to speak with a London accent just because he has moved to the smoke. Accents define your roots. Jane Birkin is adored for her accent (and bad French). Met her once, charming woman.

I think you need to brush up on your English, I didn't say I couldn't do any of those things (I said just not as good as I'd have liked).

And maybe your standards are a lot lower than mine. Sorry, no 'maybe'.

I really couldn't give a toss about what you think about my level of English. I'll take no lessons from anyone who describes their level of French as "awesome".

Bawbag. B)

I really couldn't give a toss about what you think about my level of English. I'll take no lessons from anyone who describes their level of French as "awesome".

Bawbag. B)

Keep taking the Anger Management / Inferiority Complex courses.....

...and don't forget the Green Envy tablets as well (to be taken twice daily).

Edited by BigLog
Keep taking the Anger Management / Inferiority Complex courses.....

...and don't forget the Green Envy tablets as well (to be taken twice daily).

Care to contribute anything worthwhile to the original post or are you just going to act like a juvenile until the thread dies a death....... :rolleyes:

Care to contribute anything worthwhile to the original post or are you just going to act like a juvenile until the thread dies a death....... :rolleyes:

Ha ha.

That's a bit rich coming from you.

I know you have issues comprehending written English, but re-read your 1st post to me. In that you insult me no less than 3 times (in the first 2 sentences, claiming this that and the other and making huge assumptions about my abilities and then finishing off claiming linguistic superiority when you know nothing about me).

All I seemed to have done is use the word 'awesome' and you've blown a gasket (the reason I'd used that word was two-fold; 1) several times I'd meet French people who mistakenly thought I was French - which of course wouldn't be just on accent now would it !? DOH !! and 2) I have an issue with people who claim to speak a language 'perfectly' when I know that they are no where near perfect, in fact the opposite).

Ha ha.

That's a bit rich coming from you.

I know you have issues comprehending written English, but re-read your 1st post to me. In that you insult me no less than 3 times (in the first 2 sentences, claiming this that and the other and making huge assumptions about my abilities and then finishing off claiming linguistic superiority when you know nothing about me).

All I seemed to have done is use the word 'awesome' and you've blown a gasket (the reason I'd used that word was two-fold; 1) several times I'd meet French people who mistakenly thought I was French - which of course wouldn't be just on accent now would it !? DOH !! and 2) I have an issue with people who claim to speak a language 'perfectly' when I know that they are no where near perfect, in fact the opposite).

Sorry mon ami. Didn't mean to get your gander up on purpose. Accept my apologies, svp.

But here's my first reply to you, pasted above. Do you notice the 2 wink/smileys. That suggests a wry smile/tongue in cheek reply. Wasn't meant to mean anything more than that. Sorry if you interpretated otherwise. :(

Edited by Agentimmo
Sorry mon ami. Didn't mean to get your gander up on purpose. Accept my apologies, svp.

But here's my first reply to you, pasted above. Do you notice the 2 wink/smileys. That suggests a wry smile/tongue in cheek reply. Wasn't meant to mean anything more than that. Sorry if you interpretated otherwise. :(

My apologies to you too as well.

I was only trying to help the OP by bringing his attention to things that maybe he hadn't considered (and I really didn't know the word awesome was going to cause such offence). Of course my French would be 'under the table' compared to other people's (and so on and so on etc !).

Learning a language takes a lifetime IMO and, what amazed/frustrated me about my own abilities was the deluge of basic everyday words I simply didn't know (and how many others I didn't know and hadn't even considered). And if you're ever in a situation that calls for immediate natural speech, quickly (like say in a dispute, a car accident, something where no one is going to give you any slack, you will have your work cut out).

Another example. The last dinner party I was at there was a Belgium who claimed his French was perfect (yes, there we go again) - we had a similar discussion as here (though no trading insults !) and I then simply asked him if he knew the word for 'puddle' in French ?? He didn't and there and then I'd made my point.

Anyway, posting like this, it can be hard to make my point, so, I apologise a 2nd time to you too - no offence was ever my initial intention !

Kindest regards.

:)

The last dinner party I was at there was a Belgium who claimed his French was perfect (yes, there we go again) - we had a similar discussion as here (though no trading insults !) and I then simply asked him if he knew the word for 'puddle' in French ??

Flemish or Walloon ?

Peter