House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

British New Homes Are Too Small For Toasters

Our garage can cope with an Astra in it, but nothing much bigger as it was built after the war.

My mother in law lives in a new build place in Worcester, which was specifically designed to have a garage for each house and approximately one space for a visitor in some shared parking around a central garden.

I've seen it over the years as people have got more stuff, become more affluent (or debt ridden) and now I don't think there are any houses using the garages for cars. They all seem to be used as a storage room as they've outgrown the houses and the bling wagons now sit outside on what was visitor parking and outside their houses, causing massive problems for any large vehicles like bin lorries.

I find it hard to understand who in their right minds can think their little social engineering designs will work. People have cars, generally two per household and because the houses are small, they're going to use the garage to make up the shortfall in indoor floor space.

TFH

It's not actually that funny when you think about.

Another failure of Govt' to ensure minimum building standards for domestic properties.

Housebuilders' profits are deemed more important than peoples living standards.

:angry:

This was featured on radio 4 the other morning. Some pillock (I wish I knew who he was - only caught half of it) was explaining how house builders had to make houses small or they wouldn't be affordable for first-time buyers.

If I'd been in the Radio 4 studio I would have happily punched him in the testicles. Tunnel vision.... It's fools like him that got things into this mess in the first place.

Bet they found the room for a 87" wall-mounted plasma TV in the lounge though

To be fair, one of those on the wall would leave me with more floor space than if I had a ten inch CRT TV.

cat1_228x270.jpg

How can empty space be expensive? You build two walls, either 8' apart or 16'. Most of these places were built as BTL investments. The 'owner' wasn't supposed to live there, so hence didn't give a shit what size it was.

I read a few weeks ago that the Building Standard for garage size has been changed. Garages must now be, I believe, 10 feet wide. Apparently older folks were being trapped in their garages after parking in a narrow space and being unable to open the door to get out. An elderly lady broke her leg after climbing through the sunroof and sliding down the bonnet (hood) of the car to escape from a garage that was just 7' 6" wide. It was a brand new house.

Bet they found the room for a 87" wall-mounted plasma TV in the lounge though

That's right, they should forgo a television and put the toaster in the lounge

Although you do expand the amount you own to fill the space...

:)

Well, you can expand the amout of house you own (in a terrace/semi-detached)

- Whenever your neighbors go out on a bender, quickly knock a hole through the wall, and brick up the internal door to the room you knocked through to (It's best to aim for spare rooms first.

- Make sure you redecorate the bricked up wall to exactly resemble the surrounding decoration.

- Hence when your neighbor wakes up with a hangover, they won't quite remember how their house should look, and put any changed down to drink-related confusion.

- Obviously this can be repeated to expand your house at their expense.. although once they are down to one bedroom and a kitchen/diner, you may have to put a dividing wall in to merely shrink their rooms instead of taking them completely.

- Replacing their furniture (Beds, dining tables, sofas, TVs etc) with smaller versions will help to stop them noticing.

So eventually your house will be nearly doubled in size and your neighbors will have committed themselves to a lunatic asylum.

Surely there would then be a market for smaller toasters and smaller loaves of sliced bread to use in them.

All part of a secret, long term government plan to solve the obesity issue. :ph34r:

When did architects decide it would be a good idea not to put cupboards under the stairs in as standard a good idea?

Around the same time that vases of dead twigs, dishes of pebbles and cushion-strewn beds became the height of 'style'.

Around the same time that vases of dead twigs, dishes of pebbles and cushion-strewn beds became the height of 'style'.

About the time when builders began using 3/4 scale furniture to deceive the eye. The strew cushions were camouflage for the 4foot long bed that allowed space for a 1 foot deep dresser.