House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skirmish

Why Do Usa Presidents Wear A Lapel Badge

I believe it is a partiotism thing combined with a politician-playing-to-the-gallery thing.

Most non-septics have no idea how rabidly patriotic your typical yank is, much as we have no concept of how rabidly committed and sure of themselves a religious zealot is.

I draw your attention to The following laws and regulations which were amended July 7, 1976, by the 94th Congress of the United States. The following sets forth the existing rules, customs and etiquette pertaining to the display and use of the flag of the United States of America.

Specifically this section:

Section 4

That no disrespect should be shown to the flag of United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors state flags and organizations or institutional flags are to be dipped as mark of honor.

A. The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

B. The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water or merchandise.

C. The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

D. The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle and red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

E. The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used or stored in such manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled or damaged in any way.

F. The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.

G. The flag should never have been placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture or drawing of any nature.

H. The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying or delivering anything.

I. The flag should never be used for advertising purpose in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

J. No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen and members of patriotic organizations, The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

K. The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem or display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

I'm sure elastoplasts must fall foul of this!

I'm sure elastoplasts must fall foul of this!

Presumably the lawyers argue that because it has neither 13 stripes nor 50 stars it is not an American flag.

I believe it is a partiotism thing combined with a politician-playing-to-the-gallery thing.

Most non-septics have no idea how rabidly patriotic your typical yank is, much as we have no concept of how rabidly committed and sure of themselves a religious zealot is.

Not necessarily purely patriotic. Some US companies give out lapel badges for employees to wear. The assumption is that the employees are proud to be so visibly identified with their employer. Lapel pins are sometimes used as a recognition of good performance.

[by some I mean I have seen this happen, I've no idea how widely it happens]

The reaction to the proffering of a corporate lapel badge is often different in the UK.

Not necessarily purely patriotic. Some US companies give out lapel badges for employees to wear. The assumption is that the employees are proud to be so visibly identified with their employer. Lapel pins are sometimes used as a recognition of good performance.

[by some I mean I have seen this happen, I've no idea how widely it happens]

The reaction to the proffering of a corporate lapel badge is often different in the UK.

From time to time in my work I visit various Japanese manufacturing companies. It is always something of a culture shock to find that all of the employee are wearing identical boiler suits with company logo front and back. Even the departmental head will do so, with the difference that unlike the worker bees they will have a suit on under the boilersuit (sans jacket).

I too think it started with Bush after Sept 11th.

Americans are fascists (look the word up in a dictionary). ( or Wiki:)

"Fascism, pronounced /ˈfæʃɪzəm/, comprises a radical and authoritarian nationalist political ideology[1][2][3][4] and a corporatist economic ideology. [5]

Fascists believe that nations and/or races are in perpetual conflict whereby only the strong can survive by being healthy, vital, and by asserting themselves in conflict against the weak.[6] Fascists advocate the creation of a single-party state.[7] Fascist governments forbid and suppress criticism and opposition to the government and the fascist movement.[8] Fascism opposes class conflict, blames capitalist liberal democracies for its creation and communists for exploiting the concept.[9] Fascism is much defined by what it opposes, what scholars call the fascist negations - its opposition to individualism,[10] rationalism, liberalism, conservatism and communism. [11] In the economic sphere, many fascist leaders have claimed to support a "Third Way" in economic policy, which they believed superior to both the rampant individualism of unrestrained capitalism and the severe control of state communism.[12][13] This was to be achieved by establishing significant government control over business and labour (Mussolini called his nation's system "the corporate state").[14][15] No common and concise definition exists for fascism and historians and political scientists disagree on what should be in any concise definition."

Could there be a more apt description of the USA? military might, crushing anyone who opposes, lack of a 'truly' free media ,

I went to America in 2005. There was a serious, I mean serious, debate about desecration of 'THE FLAG'

Wiki (again)

The Flag Desecration Amendment, often referred to as the flag burning amendment, is a controversial proposed constitutional amendment to the United States Constitution that would allow the United States Congress to statutorily prohibit expression of political views through the physical desecration of the flag of the United States. The concept of flag desecration continues to provoke a heated debate over protecting a national symbol, protecting free speech, and protecting the liberty represented by a national symbol.

While the proposed amendment is most frequently referred to colloquially in terms of "flag burning," the language would permit the prohibition of all forms of flag desecration, which may take forms other than burning, such as using the flag for clothing or napkins.

The most recent attempt to adopt a flag desecration amendment failed in the United States Senate by one vote[1] on June 27, 2006.[2]

The full text of the amendment (passed several times by the U.S. House of Representatives):

The Congress shall have power to prohibit the physical desecration of the flag of the United States.

This proposed amendment was intended to give Congress the right to enact statutes criminalizing the burning or other desecration of the United States flag in a public protest. Proponents of legislation to proscribe flag burning argue that burning the flag is a very offensive gesture that deserves to be formally outlawed. Opponents maintain that giving Congress such power would essentially limit the principle of freedom of speech — enshrined in the First Amendment to the United States Constitution and symbolized by the flag itself

Come on, if you burn the Britsih flag franky I couln't give a ferk. They are trying to criminalise flag desecration in America. This obsessive belief that 'our way' is the only way is what defines fascism. Think of Mussolini, Hitler etc.

Most non-septics have no idea how rabidly patriotic your typical yank is...

I don't think it's necessarily rabid, just that in the US, patriotism takes a slightly different and certainly more overt form than it does here. When I first started visiting the US I was a bit disconcerted at the fact that the Stars and Stripes is prominently displayed more or less everywhere: certainly on virtually all public buildings, and also in the front gardens of a lot of homes.

American friends tell me that they see it more as a sort of positive patriotism, with the flag representing fundamental rights and freedoms enshrined in the Constitution and that (they believe) can never be taken from them. Call it naive if you like, but I honestly don't think that the majority of Americans who display the Stars and Stripes in their homes and businesses do so with the intention of sending an aggressive message to non-Americans (though doubtless some do).

To be honest I feel far more intimidated by the sight of Saltires in this country (especially in England), the display of which I do believe is usually intended to convey aggression.

Americans are massively patriotic you see flags everywhere hanging out side peoples houses etc across the country.

Wouldnt be allowed here of course as its clearly racist! ;)

I draw your attention to The following laws and regulations

Section 4

That no disrespect should be shown to the flag of United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors state flags and organizations or institutional flags are to be dipped as mark of honor.

A. The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

B. The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water or merchandise.

C. The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

D. The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle and red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

E. The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used or stored in such manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled or damaged in any way.

F. The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.

G. The flag should never have been placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture or drawing of any nature.

H. The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying or delivering anything.

I. The flag should never be used for advertising purpose in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

J. No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen and members of patriotic organizations, The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

K. The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem or display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

Land of the free, n'est pas?