House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest AuntJess

Is Sexism And Ageism Acceptable On These Threads

Guest AuntJess

:huh: Discuss - with examples. :huh:

"with the old crone" King Bingo.

"Aunt Jess is a senior lady - so we are led to believe."Pond 321

KB - would you say Joanna Lumley is an old crone - or Meryl Streep, or Helen Mirren? I am the same age as them.

Pondy - 'lady' as in 'female' or 'lady' as in 'upper clarss'? Defo. not the second, most certainly the first. So your sexism is complete... if that is the case, as you imagine only a man can argue with conviction, but DO correct me if I'm wrong.You never do tho', sunshine - do you? You just keep on with the silly cracks and don't even try to refute the points I raise - save to call me a liar for my anecdotes..

I am pretty sure you are a male, but a pretty inadequate one - intellectually speaking - as you can't even find the evidence to quash this 'senior lady's' comments.

(Sigh)

Must try harder. 5/10. :D

I think it is unacceptable. It is also against forum rules, as, IIRC, is any ad hom attack.

This is a failry robust interweb forum, and everyone lapses from time to time, but maybe the mods need to come down harder on repeat offenders. I think the way you in particular have been treated on here in recent weeks is shocking and it has made me think about leaving here.

I'm trying to judge if this would be a good time to tell a great sexist joke I heard the other day?

But seriously, we all get older. Your enhanced experience gives you gravitas. I though my comment would be seen as tongue in cheek given the comment you preceded with. The light hearted tone obviously didn't carry. Sorry about that.

As for women I think some of them are fantastic.

So in summary I have nothing against older ladies. Some of my best friends are, or at least my mum is.

Guest DisposableHeroes

KB - would you say Joanna Lumley is an old crone - or Meryl Streep, or Helen Mirren? I am the same age as them.

Pondy - 'lady' as in 'female' or 'lady' as in 'upper clarss'? Defo. not the second, most certainly the first. So your sexism is complete... if that is the case, as you imagine only a man can argue with conviction, but DO correct me if I'm wrong.You never do tho', sunshine - do you? You just keep on with the silly cracks and don't even try to refute the points I raise - save to call me a liar for my anecdotes..

I am pretty sure you are a male, but a pretty inadequate one - intellectually speaking - as you can't even find the evidence to quash this 'senior lady's' comments.

(Sigh)

In the same token Jess, you do have a bit of a habit of knocking younger people, 'init', 'summat'. Implying a lack of knowledge, or intelligence. It can seem a little condescending.

This may explain the ageist responses you have been receiving.

(Sigh)

No it's not acceptable, and neither are your comments above.

Guest AuntJess
In the same token Jess, you do have a bit of a habit of knocking younger people, 'init', 'summat'. Implying a lack of knowledge, or intelligence. It can seem a little condescending.

This may explain the ageist responses you have been receiving.

No you are DEAD wrong. I was using 'summat' and 'innit' on another forum LONG before I came to this one - as I was from Lancashire and was using the idiomatic words/phrases from that area.It was my trademark!!

I think you are maybe unduly sensitive about me having a go at people less qualified/educated than myself as this is where YOUR insecurities lie.

I strike back at youth when it disparages age, as I daresay you would if some cheeky kid made a disrespectful remark. I am not perfect, but I think you will find I retaliate - rather than instigate.

Guest AuntJess
No it's not acceptable, and neither are your comments above.

Would you elucidate? Sarcastic - yes: sexist or ageist - no.

would you say Joanna Lumley is an old crone - or Meryl Streep, or Helen Mirren?

Going purely on on-screen persona, as I have not had the honour or pleasure of meeting any of them, I would say

No, yes, and maybe

of course crone is a non-sexist term as it can apply equally to men, women or sheep, and means withered, or worn out, or with broken teeth (in the case of a sheep). It can also mean to remove the old sheep from a flock when used as a verb, and is an alternative name for a cranberry.

Would you elucidate? Sarcastic - yes: sexist or ageist - no.

Certainly. You asked if sexism and ageism are acceptable on these boards, and I don't think they are. However, I would also say that it's up to the person on the recieving end to decide for themselves. For example, if you call me old, it doesn't bother me in the least. If you call me white whatever, it doesn't bother me in the least. In fact, call me anything you like, and it doesn't bother me. It doesn't need pointing out though, that I am less educated/qualified than you: and YES, that is insecurity on my part. Well balanced, with two massive chips !! I will readily admit to that one.

You can't debate something with someone, if you keep saying "oh, you are not clever enough to talk about this".

(Sigh)

ffs AJ, people can draw their own conclusions, you're clearly still in your intellectual prime, albeit with a tendency to be crabby sometimes.

You don't need to trot out the PC stuff, this is a forum, defend yourself, you're more than capable! Referring to you as an old crone is hardly a devastating argument, I doubt if it won anyone over.

Guest DisposableHeroes
No you are DEAD wrong. I was using 'summat' and 'innit' on another forum LONG before I came to this one - as I was from Lancashire and was using the idiomatic words/phrases from that area. I think you are maybe sensitive about me having a go at people less qualified/educated than myself as this is where YOUR insecurities lie.

I strike back at youth when it disparages age, as I daresay you would if some cheeky kid made a disrespectful remark. I am not perfect, but I think you will find I retaliate - rather than initiate.

Hey Jess, I don't want to get personal here, just trying to point out the reasons why.

As for my qualifications. Business and Finance degree and numerous I.T. qualification, house and car paid for, with no debt. Considering yours, you should know better than to try and put another person down :-(

If I did miss interpret your use of slang, my mistake and sorry.

I strike back at youth when it disparages age, as I daresay you would if some cheeky kid made a disrespectful remark. I am not perfect, but I think you will find I retaliate - rather than instigate.

So if your quite capable of giving as good as you get (which you are) why the carebear post?

So if your quite capable of giving as good as you get (which you are) why the carebear post?

Completely OT, but gives me the opportunity to post this...

2009-07-06-a-well-reasoned-argument.jpg

Guest AuntJess
13[/b] 2009, 03:52 PM' post='2076484']

Going purely on on-screen persona, as I have not had the honour or pleasure of meeting any of them, I would say

No, yes, and maybe

of course crone is a non-sexist term as it can apply equally to men, women or sheep, and means withered, or worn out, or with broken teeth (in the case of a sheep). It can also mean to remove the old sheep from a flock when used as a verb, and is an alternative name for a cranberry.

Have my own teeth - and in some places my own roots! No false teeth - am happy to say - as this is what causes the face to sag. "I" think I have wrinkles, my kids call 'em 'laughter lines', as I have always done a fair bit of laughing: Best health advice there is.

In quite good nick physically, and intend to be even better when I get my bionic knee, as I can go dancing again. :)

Old girl I accept. Old crone - no.

Guest AuntJess
Hey Jess, I don't want to get personal here, just trying to point out the reasons why.

As for my qualifications. Business and Finance degree and numerous I.T. qualification, house and car paid for, with no debt. Considering yours, you should know better than to try and put another person down :-(

If I did miss interpret your use of slang, my mistake and sorry.

Honest to God, wasn't having a pop. just mentioning online - in public - only what you yourself did when asking about unfulfilled potential. I got the impression that you had not gone as far as you'd have liked. YOU mentioned it in open forum, so I thought it was ok to refer to it. If you'd PM-ed me with it, I'd have taken it to the grave.

Guest AuntJess
Certainly. You asked if sexism and ageism are acceptable on these boards, and I don't think they are. However, I would also say that it's up to the person on the recieving end to decide for themselves. For example, if you call me old, it doesn't bother me in the least. If you call me white whatever, it doesn't bother me in the least. In fact, call me anything you like, and it doesn't bother me. It doesn't need pointing out though, that I am less educated/qualified than you: and YES, that is insecurity on my part. Well balanced, with two massive chips !! I will readily admit to that one.

You can't debate something with someone, if you keep saying "oh, you are not clever enough to talk about this".

WAS I saying that? Yes I guess I was. well that is one mark against me. :unsure:

Due to the evidence of his posts - silly insults and never answering the Qs I asked, just being bloody sexist and/or ageist and insulting - I suspected a stupid mentality.It certinly did not indicate an enlightened one. Some people haven't learned because they have a closed mind - some because they have not had the opportunity to tune up the old grey matter.

I think Pondy falls into the first: my sister - for eg - falls into the second. She is nothing like as qualified as me but has great wisdom and insight into other people. she will listen and debate - sometimes agreeing sometimes not.

I can respect this, but not the first, as it speaks of some sort of resistance to information, a wilful misunderstanding. FFS take a look at his posts in regard to me and tell me why I should reason calmly and logically - ALL THE TIME - with a silly, insulting person who makes no effort to engage with the debate, but just to be as bluddy obnoxious as they know how to be.

Also check how restrained I am with him compared to the other posters he annoys. They are pretty ready to 'tear him a new one' and in that respect I fel that sexism is a relevant accusation for me to make

From what has been said, it seems I am expected to be 'naice and polite and refained', 'cos I am a female and only us bloke-y chaps can 'F and jeff'. FGS someone even told me off once - humorously o'course, for using the abbreviation - FFS.

Guest AuntJess
Are you a sheep then?

;)

Do only sheep manage to keep their own teeth ? I inherited good teeth from my Ma and she made sure I kept 'em in good nick, as I did with MY kids. Daughter of 40 - NO fillings or extractions: son of 37 - one small white filling and NO extractions.

Guest AuntJess

??? :blink:

It is impolite and IMO unacceptable.

On a forum there will inevitably be slips in behaviour. OTOH sometimes people actively champion their right to behave in ways that should deserve a slap. Over time I have come to realise that HPC defines 'acceptable' more liberally than I. A valuable part of life's rich tapestry.