House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Furious

Advice About Rental Property Please

Dear All

Hopefully the oracles of HPC can offer me guidance.

My wife and I need to find a new flat to rent within 3 weeks, so we don't have much time. Last night while perusing the net I found an advertisment for a 2 bedroom flat in a very nice part of London. The rent includes all bills and the place comes fully furnished. Taking this into account I would say that the place is up for rent at about 50% of the cost of similar properties in the area.

There is no agent involved and I am planning on meetng the landlord tomorrow to look the place over.

If we find the place acceptable we are required to pay two months up front plus an extra months deposit, the landlord will then be departing to study medicine in Europe.

I havn't been able to establish what the arrangements will be with regards to handing over keys, contract etc.

Taking into consideration the cliche that if something looks too good to be true it usually is, I'm a little dubious.

How would you old wizeheads propose proceeding?

Thanks

F

Dear All

My wife and I need to find a new flat to rent within 3 weeks, so we don't have much time. Last night while perusing the net I found an advertisment for a 2 bedroom flat in a very nice part of London. The rent includes all bills and the place comes fully furnished. Taking this into account I would say that the place is up for rent at about 50% of the cost of similar properties in the area.

There is no agent involved and I am planning on meetng the landlord tomorrow to look the place over.

If we find the place acceptable we are required to pay two months up front plus an extra months deposit, the landlord will then be departing to study medicine in Europe.

I havn't been able to establish what the arrangements will be with regards to handing over keys, contract etc.

Taking into consideration the cliche that if something looks too good to be true it usually is, I'm a little dubious.

How would you old wiseheads propose proceeding?

Thanks

F

This sounds like the classic set-up where he takes your initial money, and you subsequently find out he didn't own the flat. Showing you around the flat only means he has the keys to it. Not that its his.

He will also have taken money from several other prospective 'tenants'.

There was a uni undergrad on the radio that has been taken in by this one recently.

Don't go near it.

This sounds like the classic set-up where he takes your initial money, and you subsequently find out he didn't own the flat. Showing you around the flat only means he has the keys to it. Not that its his.

He will also have taken money from several other prospective 'tenants'.

There was a uni undergrad on the radio that has been taken in by this one recently.

Don't go near it.

so at the very least, proof of ownership should be requested.....?

I love that this is classed as Off Topic.......... :lol:

Along with assuming people are morons until proved otherrwise, I find it is also useful to assume that people are crooks until proved otherwise. A sad reflection of the world we live in.

Three months deposit is unprecedented, no legitimate landlord would ask for this even if they are 'going away for a while' - keep your bargepole well away from this one.

If you need a 2 bedroom flat my brother has one to rent in Oval, PM me if you have any interest, I *think* he is being realistic about what he wants for it.

[e] Available immediately iirc.

Edited by Charterhouse

If you need a 2 bedroom flat my brother has one to rent in Oval, PM me if you have any interest, I *think* he is being realistic about what he wants for it.

[e] Available immediately iirc.

thanks C but the Oval is a bit far for us, we need to be close to Kingston for family reasons. Thanks though

thanks C but the Oval is a bit far for us, we need to be close to Kingston for family reasons. Thanks though

No worries, knew it was a long shot but thought might as well shout. Good luck with the search.

Dear All

How would you old wizeheads propose proceeding?

Thanks

F

Don't hand any money over. This is a scam. They will disappear without a trace with your deposit. They will ask for the money to be paid to a third party such as Western Union. You will never see them or your money again. Sorry but this is what they do - offer up a property bargain then ask for loads of money up front.

I would still go and meet him. Waste his time and ask stupid questions and ****** with his head. Then when you've finally got bored. Smash his ******in' head into a door, then pop off for a nice bite to eat and a pint.

I would still go and meet him. Waste his time and ask stupid questions and ****** with his head. Then when you've finally got bored. Smash his ******in' head into a door, then pop off for a nice bite to eat and a pint.

I'm ashamed to say I completely agree with this.

I am inclined to play him along for while if you have time to spare, get him to prove ownership and ask if you can take some photos "to show the wife" with him in it. Then just the f***er arrested for fraud.

I am inclined to play him along for while if you have time to spare, get him to prove ownership and ask if you can take some photos "to show the wife" with him in it. Then just the f***er arrested for fraud.

+1

:lol: I wouldn't be able to resist out finding out exactly what he's up to.

........I would have to tell him that I worked for the fraud squad too!

Seriously though if you have the time (and can be bothered) I would just check the ownership of the property from the land registry website first. Get his name - say you are interested and try and get a phone number to ring him back as you've one other to view. Then ring him and ask for his bank details as BACS payments are now instant and therefore the same as cash. Give a false name and then report him to the police.

Sounds very dodgy to me.