House Price Crash Forum

France And Germany Exit Recession

Odd, my sister is there right now and tells me that things are much cheaper than in the UK.

nah, just come back.

pizzas around 12 to 18 euros......ASK UK restaurants....£7-£11

Roast @ toby jug...£5.

McDs in France you spend 5euro where £1.50 would do here.

course petrol is cheaper here, but food....wow...it was shocking...even in the supermarkets.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nah, just come back.

pizzas around 12 to 18 euros......ASK UK restaurants....£7-£11

Roast @ toby jug...£5.

McDs in France you spend 5euro where £1.50 would do here.

course petrol is cheaper here, but food....wow...it was shocking...even in the supermarkets.

Out of curiousity, where did you visit in France ?

I can get a pizza for 8-10euros in most places on the French Riviera and that's at the height of the holiday season. Obviously, to sit in a place with a sea-front view will add 3-4 euros more. But you can eat first then have a walk along the prom later ;)

Food? If you eat local/seasonal foods the prices are fine. Fresh fruit and veg are a deal at the moment. They were selling 2Kg trays of peaches for 2€ at a local market last week when I was in Montpellier. Also had 12 oysters and a glass of chilled white for 10€ at a local café. Which was nice... B)

Out of curiousity, where did you visit in France ?

I can get a pizza for 8-10euros in most places on the French Riviera and that's at the height of the holiday season. Obviously, to sit in a place with a sea-front view will add 3-4 euros more. But you can eat first then have a walk along the prom later ;)

Food? If you eat local/seasonal foods the prices are fine. Fresh fruit and veg are a deal at the moment. They were selling 2Kg trays of peaches for 2€ at a local market last week when I was in Montpellier. Also had 12 oysters and a glass of chilled white for 10€ at a local café. Which was nice... B)

this was cote d'azure, and all the way back, auxerre, boulogne. Im talking the full plate job, with a bit of topping.

it was 15 euros for a margheritta on the camp site. takeaways were less, from about 9 euro (off site roadside..but always closed when we wanted one!)

now I dont want anyone to think pizza is all I eat, but we were using it as reference.

Salads were much the same price, but inevitably huge and filling.

The hypermarkets were also expensive for eggs, meats and everything except bread and vegs, which were good value ( and tasty).

baguettes were pricey compared to a couple of years ago, at around 75c, 95c on the campsite butter was 2.50...about £1 here.

still, if you want pricey....try Paris.

Things are on the up again! Time for big red UPWARD pointing BBC arrows and captions behind the presenters?

How come this tw@t is allowed to start threads now and Sibley is banned from doing so? :angry:

Agreed, you'll only find people talking pleasure in other peoples misery here.

Still at least they've all been proven completely and utterly wrong in their apocalyptic predictions :lol:

You speak so much yet you understand so little.

Everyone's ideal scenario would surely be increased growth and productivity combined with a fall in house prices. This would reflect a rise in real wealth and a reduction in the cost of living, we would all be better off....

...except those who cannot make the distinction between wealth and money or those who look to bubble economics and price inflation in order to rob wealth off the rest of the population for no increase in either production on quality of life.

Like you perhaps.

I note that xcojo has opted to remain silent rather than respond to the questions asked. Sadly, this seems to be about the best response any bull can offer. Surely there are some intelligent bulls out there that can actually make their case rather than trolling. No?

i think the chat got too advanced for xcojo

Everyone's ideal scenario would surely be increased growth and productivity combined with a fall in house prices. This would reflect a rise in real wealth and a reduction in the cost of living, we would all be better off....

Really?

Perpetual growth not an issue then?

Increased productivity, you mean consume more or higher productivity and lower numbers employed?

We have a fundamental issues in the economy that are not being addressed, debt expansion has masked many of these.

Well done France and Germany.

The ECB can start raising their interest rates quicker. Then as we are a net importer our inflation will rise because Sterling will drop against the Euro. Then the jolly old B of E can start raising our interest rates to stop inflation. We aren't going to have the proper HPC while interest rates are 0.5% Too many STR's are buckling in and buying thinking their savings aren't earning enough.

Over on the market ticker http://market-ticker.denninger.net/ Karl makes has spotted why France and Germany's GDP has increased - imports have fallen.

Remember GDP = C + I + G + X - Z

(Consumer spending + Investment by companies + Government spending + Exports - Imports)

So GDP rises when imports fall - but that doesn't mean France and Germany are doing any better, they've just stopped buying stuff from abraod.

Plus I suspect the increases in G aren't sustainable; can't bailout forever.

this was cote d'azure, and all the way back, auxerre, boulogne. Im talking the full plate job, with a bit of topping.

it was 15 euros for a margheritta on the camp site. takeaways were less, from about 9 euro (off site roadside..but always closed when we wanted one!)

now I dont want anyone to think pizza is all I eat, but we were using it as reference.

Salads were much the same price, but inevitably huge and filling.

The hypermarkets were also expensive for eggs, meats and everything except bread and vegs, which were good value ( and tasty).

baguettes were pricey compared to a couple of years ago, at around 75c, 95c on the campsite butter was 2.50...about £1 here.

still, if you want pricey....try Paris.

The campsite explains a lot. Totally closed market and they know you'll shell out a little bit more rather than jump in the car or walk 1km.

As for the rest being "expensive"? As a HPC veteran you should know better ;)

France hasn't increased it's prices. It's GB and the BOE that have trashed the pound in your pocket. (repeat ad infinitum) :lol:

The campsite explains a lot. Totally closed market and they know you'll shell out a little bit more rather than jump in the car or walk 1km.

As for the rest being "expensive"? As a HPC veteran you should know better ;)

France hasn't increased it's prices. It's GB and the BOE that have trashed the pound in your pocket. (repeat ad infinitum) :lol:

thanks, I fully understand the campsite rip...the food was very good still.

no, a £7 pizza in the Uk equates to a 8euro pizza in france. thats what we were expecting. and if you are right about the trashed pound...we should be seeing £11 and £12 pizzas soon

we found our bills for two were over 40 and sometimes near 60...100 with daughter at the campsite...so we did that once!

had roast for 3 for £15 at toby jug on Monday.

How come this tw@t is allowed to start threads now and Sibley is banned from doing so? :angry:

It's because I have meaningful and worthy contributions to make. Quite unlike you it seems...

i think the chat got too advanced for xcojo

GDP up, recession over, FTSE nudging 4800, house prices going back to normal the last few months, UK back into positive territory by the end of next month.

Happy days.

There's nothing to talk about really :lol:

thanks, I fully understand the campsite rip...the food was very good still.

no, a £7 pizza in the Uk equates to a 8euro pizza in france. thats what we were expecting. and if you are right about the trashed pound...we should be seeing £11 and £12 pizzas soon

we found our bills for two were over 40 and sometimes near 60...100 with daughter at the campsite...so we did that once!

had roast for 3 for £15 at toby jug on Monday.

It's been a few years since I was in one of these places, but your email has just convinced me to pay one a visit next time I'm back in the UK. Can't wait ! :lol:

Thanks.

It's been a few years since I was in one of these places, but your email has just convinced me to pay one a visit next time I'm back in the UK. Can't wait ! :lol:

Thanks.

daughter, who was back for a week absolutely loved it....shes a true rosbif!

Really?

Perpetual growth not an issue then?

Increased productivity, you mean consume more or higher productivity and lower numbers employed?

We have a fundamental issues in the economy that are not being addressed, debt expansion has masked many of these.

Depends on whether you think malthus was wrong or if he just happened to speak before we got a massive growth limit postponement in the shape of fossil fuels.

Is there such a thing as sustainable growth, possibly. Could we increase living standards and use less non-sustainable resources, maybe.

Debt expansion has not masked the problems though, the rate of resource extraction / consumption was always possible we just agreed to pay more of our future income to have it now.

GDP up, [Link please] recession over [please quantify/explain], FTSE nudging 4800 [compared with touching 7000 2 years ago?], house prices going back to normal ["normal"?] the last few months, UK back into positive territory by the end of next month [You don't find that contradicts your first point in anyway?].

Happy days.

I'll give you one thing. You're not short on optimism ;)

Optimism.jpg

you guys really need to seek out help.

the joy you take in bad news, and the way you get upset about good news is just sad.

germany and france achieving some growth is a good thing.

+1

Well said Bungy! There is a vocal core on here who only seem to be happy if they have something to be miserable about. :lol:

Shame really because in amongst all the racist, xenophobic, paranoid rantings there is some interesting stuff.

i guess its not over yet (atleast here in uk)... one reason is i had never seen so much ads for "cash for gold" anyone notice this as well?

There's even a bloke at my Sunday open-air boot fair who buys scrap gold. His biro'd cardboard sign doesn't inspire too much confidence on his status in the bullion market.

It's because I have meaningful and worthy contributions to make. Quite unlike you it seems...

GDP up, recession over, FTSE nudging 4800, house prices going back to normal the last few months, UK back into positive territory by the end of next month.

Happy days.

But you still have nagging doubts, which, presumably is why you posted on here. So, far from "nothing to talk about" you are as keen to talk about the economy provided you are allowed to get away with ignoring reality. As Gerald Celente has repeatedly said - you can't get out of a recession by printing money out of thin air, that's backed by nothing and producing practically nothing.