House Price Crash Forum

The Recession Is Over !

Yes I heard him. Raised timbre of voice and everything. Pathetic.

However, you obviously did the same and ignored him say "IN GERMANY AND FRANCE."

Edited for typo: It's a musical term, not a lumberjack cliché.

Nah - in the first business section I saw he said 'The recession is over in Europe'.

He had amended this by the time of the next section. Probably had a word in his ear to stop being such a div.

Anyway it is the manner these things are said that is the real shocker. It is like some proper 1984 style propaganda.

Nah - in the first business section I saw he said 'The recession is over in Europe'.

He had amended this by the time of the next section. Probably had a word in his ear to stop being such a div.

Anyway it is the manner these things are said that is the real shocker. It is like some proper 1984 style propaganda.

Bloomberg just done the same "EUROPE REBOUNDS"

again the reviewer mentions 50bn Euro stimulus in France and 80bn in Germany.

so debt is UP. strange that debt was the cause and now its the saviour...I smell a rat.

Edited by Bloo Loo
Guest DisposableHeroes

Lowest interest rates in history, massive government fiscal stimulus packages, the economy is dizzy on drugs.

It will have to come off them and it won't be pretty, not to mention pay for them.

Many people will get burnt by buying shares.

Well according to the BBC breakfast News anyway. In both the UK and Europe. This was stated as fact in those simple terms... :blink:

Apparently the UK recession is over due to what King said yesterday. I suppose that is one way of taking it.

Also the Recession in Europe is now officially over due to some tiny growth in Germany and France in the last quarter. Again - one way of taking it.

Personally I thought Europe had more than 2 countries in it. Then again I don't present the Business on BBC - so what do I know.

In France and Germany the recession is over. Few are ruling out a return to recession.

What is it that you don't understand / don't agree with.

Seems fairly simple to me.

Perhaps what you really mean, is that you do not want the recession to be over and that the reporting of certain facts is getting up your nostrils?

In France and Germany the recession is over. Few are ruling out a return to recession.

Perhaps what you really mean, is that you do not want the recession to be over and that the reporting of certain facts is getting up your nostrils?

its the maths thats wrong. Stimulus is whats pushed the GDP over 0...only just over 0...thats a fact. Unemployment is up, debt is up.

Europe as a whole was DOWN .3%

and that EXCLUDED the bad economies like Ireland Spain and Denmark If I heard Doomberg correctly.

its the maths thats wrong. Stimulus is whats pushed the GDP over 0...only just over 0...thats a fact. Unemployment is up, debt is up.

Europe as a whole was DOWN .3%

and that EXCLUDED the bad economies like Ireland Spain and Denmark If I heard Doomberg correctly.

That's a shame for them.

But I was talking about, Germany and France. Their GDP has risen above 0%. That's growth.

It may have been prompted by stimulus, it may be temporary and it may be worse in other countries, but it is a step out of recession for them.

It's not hard to understand you know (although it may be for ccc who prefers to repeat various pre selected points about the Edinburgh property market than talk macro economics).

I think your selective uptake of facts is fairly typical. Your one of those guys/girls I suppose.

Eh ? The recession is over and many think a return is possibly on the cards ?

Yes - that sounds like great news to me. I am off to buy a contemporary new kitchen, a studio flat in Cardiff and a widescreen Toshiba. Party time.

That's a shame for them.

But I was talking about, Germany and France. Their GDP has risen above 0%. That's growth.

It may have been prompted by stimulus, it may be temporary and it may be worse in other countries, but it is a step out of recession for them.

It's not hard to understand you know (although it may be for ccc who prefers to repeat various pre selected points about the Edinburgh property market than talk macro economics).

I think your selective uptake of facts is fairly typical. Your one of those guys/girls I suppose.

:rolleyes:

The Zimbabwe Stock market has increased by 400% this year. That's growth.

Comprende..

That's a shame for them.

yep, i increased my personal income this month by adding £1000 to my account with a personal loan.

thats great. growth in my income.

same with the GDP.

the taxpayers have paid for this growth. maybe youd like to see 10% GDP growth. guess how easy that would be too.

and there is an election in Germany next month.

That's a shame for them.

how about this for selective.

3 quarters drop in GDP= recession

just 1 month of the tiniest, unrevised growth, even .1% will END the recession.

In fact although the GDP is up a modest amount, the economies are heavily down year on year.

Well I'm not surprised Germany is no longer shrinking. It has been known for a while that their manufacturing industry has now picked up a bit, and there is new demand from China and elsewhere in the developing world for many of their goods. As I have said before, the German economy is far more robust than that of the UK.

Agree 100% - the UK economy is entirely based on Financial Services and debt. Whether we are out of recession or not it barely matters - our economy won't recover like theirs until we actually start diversifying and producing more. Our economic boom was based on very shaky ground so our recovery will be weak.

The bigger problem with this BBC's article title is that it is their point of view. The media are in a "give people hope" phase and will do or say anything to this aim.

The French government itself does not think that France is out of the recession:

"Bercy, qui table sur un recul du produit interieur brut (PIB) de 3% en 2009, n'a toutefois pas l'intention de reviser cette prevision dans l'immediat." (Tf1)

"Bercy (Ministry of Economy), that expects a contraction of 3% during 2009, has still no intention to revise their previsions" (sorry I am crap at translation!)

Knowing that France had a contraction of 1.3% in Q1, I let you make the difference!

(actually I won't: prevision -3% :

-1.3 (Q1) + 0.3% (Q2) = -1% Q1+Q2

well as you will have understood the French government is still expecting a contraction of 2% for Q3 and Q4)

So said France is out of the recession???

Maya

Edited by Mayalabeille
Agree 100% - the UK economy is entirely based on Financial Services and debt. Whether we are out of recession or not it barely matters - our economy won't recover like theirs until we actually start diversifying and producing more. Our economic boom was based on very shaky ground so our recovery will be weak.

Not entirely true. We actually have quite a large manufacturing base in this country. We also have great potential for energy. On top of that we have a great climate for growing our own food needs.

Apart from the stupid housing boom and the monstrous debt ? I think the UK could have done very well during this recession/depression.

However - those 2 issues are monsters unfortunately...

The bigger problem with this BBC's article title is that it is their point of view. The media are in a "give people hope" phase and will do or say anything to this aim.

The French government itself does not think that France is out of the recession:

"Bercy, qui table sur un recul du produit interieur brut (PIB) de 3% en 2009, n'a toutefois pas l'intention de reviser cette prevision dans l'immediat." (Tf1)

"Bercy (Ministry of Economy), that expects a contraction of 3% during 2009, has still no intention to revise their previsions" (sorry I am crap at translation!)

Knowing that France had a contraction of 1.3% in Q1, I let you make the difference!

well as you will have understood the French government is still expecting a contraction of 2% for Q3 and Q4)

Maya

Excellent post.

I watched the main French news at lunchtime. Christine Lagarde (economy minister) was playing down any expectations. Despite the figures, she was very glum looking. Some economics bod, who tends to be bullish, even said it was nothing more than a technical blip and further contraction was on its way. All in all, a non-story.

The factories continue to close. The food centre queues get longer. Wait till October..........

Maya

"Bercy, qui table sur un recul du produit interieur brut (PIB) de 3% en 2009, n'a toutefois pas l'intention de reviser cette prevision dans l'immediat."

Bercy, who expects a decline in gross domestic product of 3% in 2009, did not intend to revise this forecast in the immediate future.

2009 - we're in month 8.

GDP fell 1.2% in Q4 2008/2009.

The 0.3% rise took everyone by surprise. If I were them I'd keep my forecast at -0.5% for Q3 + Q4.

"Bercy, qui table sur un recul du produit interieur brut (PIB) de 3% en 2009, n'a toutefois pas l'intention de reviser cette prevision dans l'immediat."

Bercy, who expects a decline in gross domestic product of 3% in 2009, did not intend to revise this forecast in the immediate future.

2009 - we're in month 8.

GDP fell 1.2% in Q4 2008/2009.

The 0.3% rise took everyone by surprise. If I were them I'd keep my forecast at -0.5% for Q3 + Q4.

the farce is strong in this one,master /<jedi off>

So much better than my translation. Thanks. Yet the idea was there :rolleyes: