House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bagsos

Alan Duncan

which aspect are you refering to? that MPs live on rations? in which case - no

£64k in London must be tough though, especially with all the extra costs that go with that job?

Am playing devil's advocate here.........

No he isn't.

Pay MP's the average.

Allow them valid business expenses and prosecute them for theft when they slip a bit extra in.

Just like the feckin rest of us. :angry:

The rich won't mind swopping the money for the power, the poor won't mind an average wage.

Why not have them volunteer, then, if someone is doing a really good job people will pay for them to continue because they like what the person is doing. If they don't like it no one pays and they stop.

No he isn't.

Pay MP's the average.

Allow them valid business expenses and prosecute them for theft when they slip a bit extra in.

Just like the feckin rest of us. :angry:

The rich won't mind swopping the money for the power, the poor won't mind an average wage.

100% agree.

Also cut from 650 MPs to 400 tops.

Theres already enough beauracracy underneath to take up the slack.

if the tories haver any sense

he should be unemployed

Moronic remarks tend to get remembered more that good policy .....and just provides Mandy with bullets

This whole thing just reminds me of why the UK is so unecessarily average and mediocre and why I wish I'd never come back here to live. For sure the scrutiny of MPs and the government and the lack of deference is good - and other countries could learn some valuable lessons - but must we really have this sort of witch hunt all the time? Why wouldn't we want our legislators to be the best people around and encourage them to say (and do) what they think instead of being forced to drip blandness and recount the merest nonthink?? Even the secret filmer (whom I applaud) seemed to be trying to make this point on Newsnight. It's us to blame, not the politicians any more. I hate puritanism.

London MPs get inner London allowance and no 2nd home allowance. My MP (zone 3 north good tube links) was claiming full 2nd home allowance on property when constituency is an easy commute into Westminster.

£64k is a good salary - what extra costs are you thinking off?

64K in London doing that for a living would be gone in 6 months. Havig said that some are no where near as talented as they seem to think they are. The only reason they get 3 day a year directorships is because they can spill the beans on government thinking and even worse manipulating government thinking to help fulfill corporation ambitions.

What happened to the BBC's outrage at journalists bugging MP's mobile phones then?

Duncan invited this low life in good faith to the House of Commons, the guy laughs and jokes with Duncan and manouvers him into making these stupid remarks while secretly filming him.

Duncan is an idiot, but the guy secretly filming is typical of the low life scumbags who run Labour supporting websites.

ffs! Do you know how many in London suvive on less than a 1/3 of £64K?

Remember that's just their basic salary which as they have about 100 days holiday equates to about £80K pa. Then on top of that they claim for their accomodation, food, incidental expenses etc. In fact they don't even need to spend much of that £64k & therefore build up a nice nest egg. Not even mentioned their gold plated pension yet and don't even get me started on their staff costs and employment of spouses, gfs,bfs,mistresses, family members etc. And you pay for all of this!!

Guest sillybear2
I actualy think he is................thoughts?

£64k puts you into the top 3% of earners, even before the various housing, transport and perks are added. If he truly considers that to be 'living on rations', then where does that leave the 97% of the workforce that are 'below' him?

That's before you even get on to the gold plated pensions and bloated entitlements on offer.

The whiny little shit should quit Parliament and dedicate himself full time to his oil interests if he truly believes he's hard done by.

He was an oil trader for Marc Rich................pardoned by Bill Clinton and whose company is now the largest private company in the world in its guise as Glencore. You don't survive in that sought of place unless you are pretty darned good; I know.

£64k puts you into the top 3% of earners, even before the various housing, transport and perks are added. If he truly considers that to be 'living on rations', then where does that leave the 97% of the workforce that are 'below' him?

That's before you even get on to the gold plated pensions and bloated entitlements on offer.

I think the point he is making is that, had he stuck it out at Glencore oil trading division,he would have been a lot richer now. I know a lot of Glencore employees, and he is right

ffs! Do you know how many in London suvive on less than a 1/3 of £64K?

Remember that's just their basic salary which as they have about 100 days holiday equates to about £80K pa. Then on top of that they claim for their accomodation, food, incidental expenses etc. In fact they don't even need to spend much of that £64k & therefore build up a nice nest egg. Not even mentioned their gold plated pension yet and don't even get me started on their staff costs and employment of spouses, gfs,bfs,mistresses, family members etc. And you pay for all of this!!

Ok so let's go down to Peckham, find a bus stop, and tap every second person in the queue and send them up to Westminster on the no 53 to run the country. I'm shocked by MPs' otherwordliness and stupidity, not their income. But as I say since we are insistent on blandness and mediocirity and punish the remotest honest individuality and humanity, and insist on paying peanuts, then we get what we deserve.

Guest sillybear2
I think the point he is making is that, had he stuck it out at Glencore oil trading division,he would have been a lot richer now. I know a lot of Glencore employees, and he is right

Nobody forced him to quit the private sector and enter Parliament, the same way nobody is stopping him from resigning his seat either. If he really believes being an MP is so insufferable then he should quit moaning and vote with his feat and give way to a less jaded candidate that is happy to 'endure' public life.

Ok so let's go down to Peckham, find a bus stop, and tap every second person in the queue and send them up to Westminster on the no 53 to run the country. I'm shocked by MPs' otherwordliness and stupidity, not their income. But as I say since we are insistent on blandness and mediocirity and punish the remotest honest individuality and humanity, and insist on paying peanuts, then we get what we deserve.

+1

It needs to be an aspirational job filled on the basis of merit, otherwise.....................think Prescot,Mandelson et al; plus any number of Tory "grandees"...........problem is that the party system means that this won't hzppen.

Why not? They'll do much better and at least have life experience. Do you really think MPs run the country?

Guest KingCharles1st

There's been a lot of silly brain dead comments coming out of MP's recently- maybe Boris started the trend?

Much as I would rather poke my eyes out with needles than vote Labour, it does seem that the Tories are starting to show their true colours again.

People are better at organising themselves than being directed from Whitehall so we would be better off without any MPs, just have a voluntary system where you pay what you like. No taxes.

Nobody forced him to quit the private sector and enter Parliament, the same way nobody is stopping him from resigning his seat either. If he really believes being an MP is so insufferable then he should quit moaning and vote with his feat and give way to a less jaded candidate that is happy to 'endure' public life.

His point is that he knew the consequences and took the decision he took BUT if it gets to a certain point in terms of the income difference between MPs and the private sector, then no one who is any good from the private sector will think of standing. That has to be a bad thing. It should be paid at the same level as the average GP IMO

His point is that he knew the consequences and took the decision he took BUT if it gets to a certain point in terms of the income difference between MPs and the private sector, then no one who is any good from the private sector will think of standing. That has to be a bad thing. It should be paid at the same level as the average GP IMO

Why not? If they are doing it for the money I don't want them.

The wages must be be good . thousands of candidates are standing for election. like any job, if no one is interested you need to up the wages to attract applicants. That is not the case with MPs