House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
porca misèria

Property Flirts

Just had a call from a friend who's looking to move. She's got details of a property that looked interesting, and wanted my opinion. So I found it through rightmove, looked at the agent's details, looked at the sold prices on the same road - standard things any HPCer would do before contemplating a viewing.

It's a 1930s semi set in a generous plot, and it crossed my mind to check if it might be ex-council. So I googled, and came upon mouseprice, where I discovered "property flirts". I'm sure property flirts are familiar to many here, but they're new to me: an owner advertises the house as up for sale without putting it on the market (erm, yeah). Smells like a wheeze to get around HIPs.

Is this an up-and-coming new market? Is this shadow market perhaps a significant factor in the shortage of supply in the traditional market, and a source of latent supply? Anyone looked in to this new shadow market? Or even flirted your own place, or bought/viewed/offered on a "flirt"?

Brilliant idea; HIPS f**ked in one easy move...............not sure if that is a good thing as I think HIPS are actually not a bad idea in principal if rather badly executed in practice (like most good ideas this govt has had...................I thought the civil service FDA was meant to sort out the implementation; what has happened to the quality there in the last 20 yrs.......?)

Brilliant idea; HIPS f**ked in one easy move...............not sure if that is a good thing as I think HIPS are actually not a bad idea in principal if rather badly executed in practice (like most good ideas this govt has had...................I thought the civil service FDA was meant to sort out the implementation; what has happened to the quality there in the last 20 yrs.......?)

Think "Sir Humphrey".

If government insists on something but the Powers That Be (privileged interests) don't want it, the result is broken legislation. Housing law is full of it. The current lot have done it on a spectacular scale, because The Liar played with the country like a twelve year old with his toys, and because he was so much more corrupt than other governments. Perhaps the most notorious example is the hunting bill, where the backbenchers eventually made a stand against The Liar appeasing his mates so the government was on the same side as the Sir Humphrey.

Yes I've seen mouseprice flirts. They seem a good idea and do seem to get around HIPs! Almost tempted, I must say.

Though mouseprice's housing valuation estimates are not so good - they are just the last price it sold for x the Haliwide indices since then, totally ignoring (1) whether it was a bargain or a rip-off then and (2) whether the house/road/town in question is different to the average. It's guess of my house's value was 50k different to the RICS surveyor who came last week.