House Price Crash Forum

Ooohhh, Bbc Doing A Bit On Rabbit Hutches!

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
I saw this. Why buy a house though, and then complain that it's too small.

At least there was a mention that it caused by the property boom, although like most of the 'news' features, it seemed a bit of a non-story with little substance.

It was caused entirely by the property boom. Can't afford 3 beds, buy 2 because unless you do, you'll never get on the ladder. Can't buy 2 beds, buy 1, because you'll never get on the ladder. Then comes the inevitable emergence of studio flats as a viable option for couples because they've exhausted their possibilities on even being able to afford somewhere with 1 bedroom. But raging HPI is great, hey?

HOLA444
It was caused entirely by the property boom. Can't afford 3 beds, buy 2 because unless you do, you'll never get on the ladder. Can't buy 2 beds, buy 1, because you'll never get on the ladder. Then comes the inevitable emergence of studio flats as a viable option for couples because they've exhausted their possibilities on even being able to afford somewhere with 1 bedroom. But raging HPI is great, hey?

Yet they still report it as good news when property prices are going up again. It seemed they were blaming the developers - I'm not saying they're blameless, but they were only making hay while the sun shined, and supplying what there was a market for. There only a market because people will buy them, so the buyers only have themselves to blame.

HOLA445
I saw this. Why buy a house though, and then complain that it's too small.

MSE is full of people whinging their house is too small for them and their extra kids. Mind you, two kids in a 2 bed terrace - well it must be against the law or somethign to have such limitted space. Makes me cross sometimes how spoilt people are.

HOLA446
MSE is full of people whinging their house is too small for them and their extra kids. Mind you, two kids in a 2 bed terrace - well it must be against the law or somethign to have such limitted space. Makes me cross sometimes how spoilt people are.

Yet if you're on benefits and in a council house and have another child, you're automatically entitled to somewhere bigger and more child benefits. Hardly an incentive for 'hard working families', is it?

HOLA447
Yet if you're on benefits and in a council house and have another child, you're automatically entitled to somewhere bigger and more child benefits. Hardly an incentive for 'hard working families', is it?

It's an incentive for hard working at making families...

HOLA448

The home owner they chose to interview was, I think it's safe to assume, not born in this country, and must have weighed up the advantages and disadvantages of migrating here. Perhaps expensive property wasn't one of the advantages, but they can hardly then complain about it. I don't know if I'm allowed to say that!

HOLA449
The home owner they chose to interview was, I think it's safe to assume, not born in this country, and must have weighed up the advantages and disadvantages of migrating here. Perhaps expensive property wasn't one of the advantages, but they can hardly then complain about it. I don't know if I'm allowed to say that!

So we have a situation where families (native or not) on benefits and relying on social housing - because for them it's not an issue and are incentivised into breeding, meanwhile 1 in 3 female graduates are not having children at all. That's a great situation for the next generation!