House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cashinmattress

Councils 'not Prepared For Next Wave Of The Recession'

Councils 'not prepared for next wave of the recession'

Councils are not doing enough to prepare their communities for the fallout from the recession and face a surge in social problems such as addiction, alcoholism and domestic violence, the leading public sector watchdog warned yesterday.

The Audit Commission said that local authorities in England were now facing the "second wave" of the downturn, as the effects of rising business failures, bankruptcies and unemployment bite.

"Many councils should be doing more to prepare for the expected social, financial and economic development challenges ahead," it said. "This includes councils that have escaped the worst effects to date, some of which are complacent."

It coincided with a separate report that found that despite predictions that the recession would lead to an exodus of non-UK nationals, one in 12 employers in the UK plan to recruit migrant workers in the next few months. The study, by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development and the consultants KPMG, found that the number of migrant workers rose between the first quarters of 2008 and 2009 while employment of UK nationals fell.

Gerwyn Davies, public policy adviser at the CIPD, said many employers found it hard to fill vacancies with UK workers. "The idea that migrant workers comprise a marginal segment of the UK workforce that is dispensed with when times are tough is clearly wide of the mark. Most are recruited and retained by employers because they provide skills or attitudes to work in short supply amongst the home-grown workforce."

Official figures due to be published this morning will be closely scrutinised for evidence that the economy is bottoming out. The broad measure of joblessness, which covers those looking for work rather than simply those eligible for state benefits, has been rising at a record rate.

A third report found that low earners are being disproportionately hit by the recession. Amid growing political concern about the alienation of UK-born workers, the Resolution Foundation, a charity, said people with household incomes of between £11,600 and £27,150 were facing severe financial pain, were being overlooked by the government, and missed out on help from employers.

The chief executive of the Resolution Foundation, Sue Regan, said despite signs of economic recovery it was likely that job losses among low earners would continue to rise. "If you look at the sectors where they are most likely to work, they are areas which are likely to [have been] depressed for a long time," she said.

In its report, Squeezed: The Low Earners Audit, the Resolution Foundation said low earners in work were more vulnerable to the softening labour market "than benefit-dependent households – who are less likely to be reliant on earned income – or higher earner households – who are more likely to have savings and insurance".

The charity reported a 45% jump in benefit claimants in the distribution, hotels and restaurants sector since April 2008, from 49,000 to 71,000.

The charity estimates that 400,000 low earners were receiving jobseeker's allowance in April 2008 and at least 180,000 more have joined them since the recession began. "In truth, the figure is likely to be higher because of the higher levels of vulnerability and job insecurity faced by low earners," it said.

The charity said these workers were likely to have difficulty "bouncing back" from unemployment because "employers don't tend to invest as much in training them … but the government tends to focus on people with no skills. We would like to see the skills strategy extended specifically to help low earners."

Unfortunately, for the eternal optimist housing bulls, there is not upside to the situation. The funds which should have been put aside for social welfare, law enforcement, and infrastructure have been usurped by the banks.

The only way that our nation can survive the coming blight will be to increase taxes significantly. Who has all the wealth of the nation, or at least 56% of it as purported lately....home owners. You are going to get, in the neck.

Proportional taxation based upon market value of property and land is on the way, and this can only serve to drastically bring down the 'value' of your 'investment'.

How and why did you work Labour into the title of this thread? Surely the point of Councils is that they are separate from central Government, and many of them are controlled by Tory and Liberal groups. If these Councils are not prepared, perhaps it confirms that there really is no alternative to Labour.

How and why did you work Labour into the title of this thread? Surely the point of Councils is that they are separate from central Government, and many of them are controlled by Tory and Liberal groups. If these Councils are not prepared, perhaps it confirms that there really is no alternative to Labour.

Hey, after 3 terms of Labour, all we are left with is some crumbs to distribute between the various councils.

Who's legacy is it, if not Labour?

Where does the buck stop in your mind?

Gerwyn Davies, public policy adviser at the CIPD, said many employers found it hard to fill vacancies with UK workers. "The idea that migrant workers comprise a marginal segment of the UK workforce that is dispensed with when times are tough is clearly wide of the mark. Most are recruited and retained by employers because they provide skills or attitudes to work in short supply amongst the home-grown workforce."

Either that or they're cheaper

Guys like this will be first against the wall come the revolution. If we can be bothered

Councils 'not prepared for next wave of the recession'

Unfortunately, for the eternal optimist housing bulls, there is not upside to the situation. The funds which should have been put aside for social welfare, law enforcement, and infrastructure have been usurped by the banks.

The only way that our nation can survive the coming blight will be to increase taxes significantly. Who has all the wealth of the nation, or at least 56% of it as purported lately....home owners. You are going to get, in the neck.

Proportional taxation based upon market value of property and land is on the way, and this can only serve to drastically bring down the 'value' of your 'investment'.

I wouldnt bet on that .. knowing this government they will impose a tax on savings and renters first before they part with their own BTL properdee wealth

I wouldnt bet on that .. knowing this government they will impose a tax on savings and renters first before they part with their own BTL properdee wealth

Tax on savings = inflation. Already here.

Tax on renters = council tax. Already here.

Somehow I think councils will be looking to cut out some of this stuff first....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...droom-home.html

Well, use it or lose it, eh?

I'd rather this system wasn't there, but if I am knocked off my motorbike and paralysed, the state will do something to care for me, etc...

But these folks are taking the piss.

The LCD factor.

It's always the LCD that ruins it for everyone.

They shut all the libaries and where will the unemployed and oldies sit to keep warm this winter?

Well the oldies can ride the buses all day. After 9:30 of course! We've had a fleet of new buses round here. With good heaters I hope.

Well, use it or lose it, eh?

I'd rather this system wasn't there, but if I am knocked off my motorbike and paralysed, the state will do something to care for me, etc...

But these folks are taking the piss.

The LCD factor.

It's always the LCD that ruins it for everyone.

Sad fact is the whole welfare state is a mess and not fit for purpose, it was made to be just the safety net you describe helping with accidents and unfortunate circumstances. What would happen if it was cancelled and replaced by private insurance, we would probably have open rioting by those cut off from the social teat and grand hurrahs from the abused taxpayer.

+1

That £15 billion a year housing benefit puts a nice floor on the btl market.

If the Tories do have any gumption they will apply the free market principle they love so much and make LL's reverse auction for Housing benefit tenants.

Well the oldies can ride the buses all day. After 9:30 of course! We've had a fleet of new buses round here. With good heaters I hope.

Wales survey says free oap bus travel costs too much.

Wales survey says free oap bus travel costs too much.

The OAP free travel scheme was provided with money from the EEC I think , maybe it's costing more money than the grant they've been given. One would hope that's one of the last areas they look at to make cuts.

As I understand it, there are two big waves of Council cut-backs. Some have already made the first, the second will not hit for a year or so. If your council has not cut back yet, you are in for a double whammy over the next two years.

The OAP free travel scheme was provided with money from the EEC I think , maybe it's costing more money than the grant they've been given. One would hope that's one of the last areas they look at to make cuts.

Why should people of a working age subsidise boomers yet again? This scheme is costing Oxford council 1.5M a year, and it's something that didn't exist a couple of years ago. They did try and make it means tested, which sounds fair, but I think that has been booted into the long grass.

Edited by Timm

Somehow I think councils will be looking to cut out some of this stuff first....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...droom-home.html

Housing benefit is a nationally determined programme and councils have no option but to apply the government's law. You need a change of legislation (and probably govt) to sort out the HB mess!

No doubt this story will anger many - get to live in a £1m house rent free, trash the place, terrorise the neighbours and then when people complain and want evicted say they are just racists. I don't know what is sadder - this abuse of our taxes or the fact that the home (a drab semi) is worth over £1m.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/art...fits/article.do

No - free bus travel in the UK is funded by UK govt grant and council tax.

The EU only subsidises public transport in other member states. Did you know the EU funded half the costs of the metro extension to Madrid airport which costs 1 euro to travel on vs £25 for the Heathrow express. Where is our EU funding for Crossrail? :lol: