House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CrashConnoisseur

Mail: Too Proud Middle Classes Failing To Claim Their Benefits As Unemployment Hits 14-year High Of 2.4million.

'Too proud middle classes failing to claim their benefits as unemployment hits 14-year high of 2.4million':

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...2-4million.html

...as another raft of dire financial news showed the economy was deteriorating further and unemployment continuing to rise, the government is keen to find out why benefit claims have failed to keep pace.

There is a large gap between the unemployment rate, which stands at 7.6 per cent, and the proportion of the population claiming Jobseeker's Allowance, which is 4.8 per cent.

There is speculation that this is partly because some of those being laid off are well-paid City workers, too proud or simply not bothered enough to enter a Jobcentre queue.

But many causalities of the 'white collar recession' include 'second earners', many of whom are women, who are choosing to live off their partner's wages, while others might not be claiming because they were hoping to get another job quickly.

Is the disparity not because if you have savings or a partner that works, as many middle class people do, or need to claim for longer than 6 months, you aren't entitled to JSA?

That was certainly my father's experience in the 90s recession and i suspect it's got worse rather than better under this lot.

If you can only claim JSA then 63 pound a week job seekers allowance is hardly going to keep you going long.

If you are geared to having two decent incomes coming in it's not going to keep your head above water for anything more than an extra couple of weeks. Five months JSA for me pays our rent for a month.

Is the disparity not because if you have savings or a partner that works, as many middle class people do, or need to claim for longer than 6 months, you aren't entitled to JSA?

That was certainly my father's experience in the 90s recession and i suspect it's got worse rather than better under this lot.

You can also fall foul of the system if you've been "flexible" and done contract/temporary jobs recently. It doesn't matter if you have 20 years working and paying into the system, if the NI contribution doesn't match up over a specific 12 month period you don't get JSA. I'd advise all those made redundant to sign on straight away and forget about taking on temp jobs/being flexible unless they're pretty sure the work will last for a few months.

Five months JSA for me pays our rent for a month.

A months rent in our parts would be a year's JSA.

I think you'd get £250 on minimum JSA over your 6 months claim. Begs the question, what's the point?

I had to claim incapacity benefit when my sick pay ran out, when I was very ill, a couple of years back. Going to the job centre was the most soul destroying experience. Out of curiosity I had a look on one of their job search pcs. All the jobs were manual, low paid stuff. They looked at me like I was an alien, they were so used to dogs on strings and children with their own children in tow, and let's not forget the hoards of junkies milling round outside. What they will do with all these degree qualified or experienced white collar workers is beyond me.

edited for rubbish spelling

Edited by Jessica Rabbit