House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tastingstars

A Couple Of Anecdotes From The Top End

Went down to Weymouth a few days ago - wandering around the marina, I was struck by the number of very large (50 foot plus) motor yachts that had FOR SALE signs hanging on them; I assume that there's always some second-hand market for these, but a quick shufty around the JD Yachts website revealed that these are priced at £400,000 to £900,000 and at least one says "the owner is keen to sell". It was also noticeable that there were some very large ships anchored out in the roads, seemingly laid up.

Secondly a friend in the aviation business told me that someone offered him a plane out of the blue recently; a new-ish executive jet at a 60% mark down to book value. Apparently cargo planes and executive jets are being parked up and mothballed just as much as cargo ships. I think I read on here a week or two back that 30% of merchant shipping is currently anchored up, but I wondered if anyone has a feel for equivalent statistic for planes?

Went down to Weymouth a few days ago - wandering around the marina, I was struck by the number of very large (50 foot plus) motor yachts that had FOR SALE signs hanging on them; I assume that there's always some second-hand market for these, but a quick shufty around the JD Yachts website revealed that these are priced at £400,000 to £900,000 and at least one says "the owner is keen to sell". It was also noticeable that there were some very large ships anchored out in the roads, seemingly laid up.

Secondly a friend in the aviation business told me that someone offered him a plane out of the blue recently; a new-ish executive jet at a 60% mark down to book value. Apparently cargo planes and executive jets are being parked up and mothballed just as much as cargo ships. I think I read on here a week or two back that 30% of merchant shipping is currently anchored up, but I wondered if anyone has a feel for equivalent statistic for planes?

Its always like this in marinas, even in the boom times; every other boat there is for sale. My uncle had a 45 foot sailing yacht. He said it was a minor irritation costwise most months but every couple of years would need hauling out of the water to have many thousands spent on it.

Link to Photo - it's not the pic I was looking for, but it's similar - and another one.

It seems like Victorville in S calif. is a large "retirement" lot for planes - the commetns beneath are telling - new livery on the planes, but being put into retirement would imply that the air carriers weren't expecting things to be as bad as they are...

I don't have any figures, but sometimes a picture says it all.

Edit - Spelling

Edited by waitingandsaving

Link to Photo - it's not the pic I was looking for, but it's similar - and another one.

It seems like Victorville in S calif. is a large "retirement" lot for planes - the commetns beneath are telling - new livery on the planes, but being put into retirement would imply that the air carriers weren't expecting things to be as bad as they are...

I don't have any figures, but sometimes a picture says it all.

Edit - Spelling

It's an interesting sight on Google Maps (type in Southern California Logistics Airport, Victorville, San Bernardino, California, United States). Quite a lot of planes parked up. Apparently the Pinal Airpark in Marana, Arizona (also interesting to look at) is now full

Two sayings that I've heard about boat owning:

"The two happiest days in a boat owner's life are the day he buys and the day he sells"

and

"A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money"

;)

"The two happiest days in a boat owner's life are the day he buys and the day he sells"

and

;)

To add:

"if it flys, floats or f***s - rent it!"

and

;)

I think PJ O'Rourke said that for all the fun to be had sailing, you may as well stand in a cold shower ripping up fifty-dollar bills

THe Dean and Reddyhoff marina in Weymouth is having a tough time this year as many of last years berthholders have sold (to Europeans coming over here with their fancy euros and buying up our boats.... due to the weak pound)

All the spaces mean that they are having a better easier summer as the visiting yachtsmen can easily get a berth (at a higher rate than the permanents, so this cloud has a temporary silver lining.

Big diesel guzzling motorboats are less affordable as they have lost their red diesel tax breaks for private owners. This might have exacerbated the effect of the recession.

The big tankers in Weymouth Bay are usually just bunkering....offloading cargo into smaller ships before moving on....Its quite normal apparently.

I work in Aviation and have a share in a small aircraft (Cessna 172).

The primes are suffering - Bizjet orders massivly down at Cessna, same at Gulfstream, Hawker Beechcraft and Bombardier. General Aviation (GA) orders broadly holding up, though some projects shelved - cirrus Jet, Piper Jet on go-slow, Honda Jet just bobbing along. Adam Aircraft sold and A700 jet project cancelled. Aviation as always swings up fast and down fast.

Private owners fall into 2 camps - long term fliers, tend to own less glamourous, more useful aircraft (hope thats me and our group) then the "fly by nghts" excuse the pun. Tend to buy flashy or impractical stuff - jet provosts, Harvards, Yaks, most types of twin. Lots of the latter for sale now, most of the dull stuff just flying fewer hours.

djmgw