House Price Crash Forum
Kurt Barlow

Hpc Harvest Festival

As a break from the usual house price topics - lizards, conspiracies, Mr. Parry, Bruno, donkeys, oblong objects I thought a food related TFH thread was long overdue.

Just been harvesting from the allotment this lunchtime - sweetcorn, potatoes, kale, beans, tomatoes, courgettes (calm down Rolf).

Im prepared - are you? :P

As a break from the usual house price topics - lizards, conspiracies, Mr. Parry, Bruno, donkeys, oblong objects I thought a food related TFH thread was long overdue.

Just been harvesting from the allotment this lunchtime - sweetcorn, potatoes, kale, beans, tomatoes, courgettes (calm down Rolf).

Im prepared - are you? :P

That will keep you going for about a week.....!

We managed to grow about 2 buckets of potatoes, lots and lots of red / yellow tomatoes, lettuce (still in the ground, looking a bit sorry for itself!), radishes and the peas were a great success!

Enough to keep us going for a week or so too.....

So, not sure we're "prepared" but it's worth doing just for the taste of it! Veg with real flavour.... de-lish!

That will keep you going for about a week.....!

We managed to grow about 2 buckets of potatoes, lots and lots of red / yellow tomatoes, lettuce (still in the ground, looking a bit sorry for itself!), radishes and the peas were a great success!

Enough to keep us going for a week or so too.....

So, not sure we're "prepared" but it's worth doing just for the taste of it! Veg with real flavour.... de-lish!

At the moment I am harvesting that sort of quantity every 2-3 days. Loads are going in the freezer for over winter

This morning picked courgettes, runner beans, first Gardeners Delight outdoor toms. Will be lifting onions next week.

Also did well at the Sainsbury's reduced shelves this morning, and got 5p a litre off my last fill up at Tesco.

All part of God's (AKA Parry) bounty.

Out tonight off a nearby quay with a drop net for prawns. Primarily as bass bait. I've had bass bites with a live prawn bait that nearly whack the rod across the road..

Praise the Lord

At the moment I am harvesting that sort of quantity every 2-3 days. Loads are going in the freezer for over winter

Wow!

We're looking at doing chickens next year.... for the eggs. I don't fancy wringing necks.... not chickens' necks anyway....

I have got some Beefsteak Tomatos in this year but they are not ripe yet so I will have my harvest festival at Halloween I think with Beefsteak Tomato and Mozzarella with gome grow basil and spalsh of olive oil.

How are you going to power your freezer when the lights go out then?

And how are you going to stop hungry chavs from nicking your produce?

It's a nice hobby, but this really isn't the answer.

:blink:

How are you going to power your freezer when the lights go out then?

And how are you going to stop hungry chavs from nicking your produce?

It's a nice hobby, but this really isn't the answer.

Solar PV will power the refrigeration

Village militia will deal with the chavs :lol:

Wow!

We're looking at doing chickens next year.... for the eggs. I don't fancy wringing necks.... not chickens' necks anyway....

Any suggestions where the people who will be living in the millions of city centre high rise 'homes' that have been built in the last few years can keep their chickens?

This morning picked courgettes, runner beans, first Gardeners Delight outdoor toms. Will be lifting onions next week.

Also did well at the Sainsbury's reduced shelves this morning, and got 5p a litre off my last fill up at Tesco.

All part of God's (AKA Parry) bounty.

Out tonight off a nearby quay with a drop net for prawns. Primarily as bass bait. I've had bass bites with a live prawn bait that nearly whack the rod across the road..

Praise the Lord

You lucky fecker ;)

I wish I still lived near the coast

Any suggestions where the people who will be living in the millions of city centre high rise 'homes' that have been built in the last few years can keep their chickens?

Ever heard the term horses for courses?

I have a nice crop of dandelions, grass clippings and some unidentified poo.

any tips?

Google Cuban food crisis - some parts of the world are way ahead of us. Havana produces over half its food requirements from within its city border. Guinea Pig farming is more suitable for high rise homes I believe.

Solar PV will power the refrigeration

Village militia will deal with the chavs :lol:

So this is just another one of those tin foil hat, eco survivalist threads then.

Perhaps you could work out how much land a person needs in order to grow all their own food organically and generate all their own power?

Then multiply it by 60-80 million.

Zimbabwe used to be the breadbasket of Africa then Robert Mugabe decided to split up all the large commercial farms and divide the land between the poor.

Now they are all much better fed - NOT

Oh and you might also try reading about what happened in Cambodia.

You seem an OK guy, but this sort of thinking is just utter b*llocks.

IMHO.

Guest DisposableHeroes
Google Cuban food crisis - some parts of the world are way ahead of us. Havana produces over half its food requirements from within its city border. Guinea Pig farming is more suitable for high rise homes I believe.

:blink::unsure:

Guest Skinty
So this is just another one of those tin foil hat, eco survivalist threads then.

Yes. Get used to it.

I have had Guinea Pig in Peru. I have to say baby roast Alpaca is much more to my liking.

Ever heard the term horses for courses?

You mean they can all just starve then?

Well before they starve they are going to try and nick your stuff, unless you shoot them first of course.

Perhaps you should start stocking up on ammunition now before it becomes scarce. (assuming you haven't already)

Perhaps you could work out how much land a person needs in order to grow all their own food organically and generate all their own power?

Then multiply it by 60-80 million.

Zimbabwe used to be the breadbasket of Africa then Robert Mugabe decided to split up all the large commercial farms and divide the land between the poor.

Now they are all much better fed - NOT

Oh and you might also try reading about what happened in Cambodia.

You seem an OK guy, but this sort of thinking is just utter b*llocks.

IMHO.

Its about making the best use of land that otherwise would not be productive - ie gardens, amenity land, urban spaces. It is not about converting commercial farmland into allotments.

Much of our fresh veg is imported. When the British Peso goes down the swanney the price of fruit and veg will rocket. In preparation I have replaced all the trees in my garden with fruit bearing ones. If I am wrong so what - I still have a supply of delicious fruit that takes very little effort to tend and harvest.

You are the sort of person who would say hydroelectric is an unviable power source - and cite Saudia Arabia as an example....

I have had Guinea Pig in Peru. I have to say baby roast Alpaca is much more to my liking.

Nice - anyone remember the Camomille Lawn with Felicity Kendal - back in the 1980's?

Muntjack Deer is delicious too

Edited by Kurt Barlow

I have a nice crop of dandelions, grass clippings and some unidentified poo.

any tips?

Dry the poo. Pick it apart with tweezers, and if it's full of voles' bones - you've got an owl nearby, and you could be Harry Potter...