House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blankster

Water Powered Trains........

I don't just mean one of those water-balance cliff railways either!!!

If the Severn Barrage is built it would provide 6 or 7 percent of all our electricity needs. After a bit of internet searching I found the total electricity consumption af all the electrified rail services in Britain. It amounts to roughly 3000GWh (gigawatt hours per year). The Severn Barrage would produce several times this amount of electricity.

If my figures are correct and there isn't a stray nought or two, even if all the railways in the country were electrified, the Severn Barrage could provide more than enough electricity to power them.

Guest DisposableHeroes

If the Severn Barrage is built it would provide 6 or 7 percent of all our electricity needs. After a bit of internet searching I found the total electricity consumption af all the electrified rail services in Britain. It amounts to roughly 3000GWh (gigawatt hours per year). The Severn Barrage would produce several times this amount of electricity.

The Severn barrage is a brilliant idea, it should have been built years ago. That's consistent power creation too, if the tides stop :blink: .

There are proposals for a Morecambe Bay barrage too, whjch sould generate a similar amount of electricity to the Severn Barrage - between them they'd give 12-15% of our total needs.

If my figures are correct and there isn't a stray nought or two, even if all the railways in the country were electrified, the Severn Barrage could provide more than enough electricity to power them.

Very heavy freight trains (several thousand tonnes) with regenerative braking systems are a practical way of storing nightime surplus energy. The train goes up a mountain at night using cheap rate electric and in the nmorning comes down the mountain discharging the generated electricity into the grid

Very heavy freight trains (several thousand tonnes) with regenerative braking systems are a practical way of storing nightime surplus energy. The train goes up a mountain at night using cheap rate electric and in the nmorning comes down the mountain discharging the generated electricity into the grid

Trains tend to go round mountains.

Trains tend to go round mountains.
...or through them!

Several thousand tons descending a gentle railway-type gradient for a few miles dissipates a lot of heat energy from the brakes. Modern electric multiple unit passenger trains often have regenerative braking that feeds power back into the wires and presumably the same would be the case for electric freight locomotives.

Since diesel-electric locomotives are also propelled by electric motors, they could be modified to have regenerative braking too, possibly needing to be coupled to a battery wagon to store the energy until next time the train accelerates. Such a battery wagon might weigh 50 or 60 tons, but for the energy it could save that's a small penalty on a goods train weighing a couple of thousand tons.

Guest DisposableHeroes

I have always thought the hydroelectric power stations in Wales and Scotland are brilliant batteries.

Are we talking about steam trains here?
No. but we could have been. I suppose electric trains are partially steam-powered since coal, nuclear and large oil-fired power stations use the heat from fuel to generate steam to drive turbines that drive generators!

There is a downside to this, if all the goods moved by trucks were transferred to trains then the roads would be lovely and everyone would go 'pleasure driving' again. Net loss. :lol:

Guest anorthosite
Yes but you could built a line to take a train to a higher altitude - Snowdon being an example

OMG Kurt, you ecological vandal!! :o

Guest DisposableHeroes
Yes but you could built a line to take a train to a higher altitude - Snowdon being an example

I walked down the railway tracks of Snowdon one year. It was the safest way, 70+mph winds, three foot of snow in places.